Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-09, 06:23 PM   #1
Velo Fellow
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Velo Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rival vs. Force....help me decide!

Test rode a friend's Rival equipped bike. Loved the hoods and the shifting action. Question: what is to be gained for the extra $$ moving up to Force? I ride a few centuries a year, 4,500 miles annually....just a regular rec rider.

That nasty question-- what equivalent level in Shimano or Campy line would Rival and Force hold?
Velo Fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 06:27 PM   #2
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Rival will be a bit heavier and have less "exotic" components.

My take is:

Rival = 105 and Veloce
Force = Ultegra and Centaur
Red = Dura Ace and Chorus or Record

How much of a premium is Force over rival where you have priced them?
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 09:00 PM   #3
hendrick81
Senior Member
 
hendrick81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy Eggo
Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4
Posts: 2,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would get the rival cause its alot cheaper, and the only real difference between the 2 are weight...
hendrick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 09:27 PM   #4
iareConfusE
Number One
 
iareConfusE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Danville, CA
Bikes: Scott CR1 Elite
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get Rival. Both have the exact same internals, the only difference is that Force has a few more carbon fiber/Ti parts (such as screws and bolts) that make it a few grams lighter. TBH, those few grams are not worth the extra $$ you'll spend on it. Just go with Rival. (Not to mention rival has been updated with carbon levers which makes it one step closer to Force.)

Also, if you had to equate SRAM with Shimano, Rival = Ultegra, no doubt.

Last edited by iareConfusE; 07-11-09 at 11:09 PM.
iareConfusE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 10:47 PM   #5
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
Rival will be a bit heavier and have less "exotic" components.

My take is:

Rival = 105 and Veloce
Force = Ultegra and Centaur
Red = Dura Ace and Chorus or Record

How much of a premium is Force over rival where you have priced them?
I've not priced SRAM equipment, but if it's like the Shimano road line, the cost to go from 105 to Ultegra is not that much, but the step from Ultegra to Dura Ace is a huge leap. I'm an Ultegra guy, and think it's the best bang for the buck.
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 10:55 PM   #6
johnknappcc
Senior Member
 
johnknappcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPie View Post
I've not priced SRAM equipment, but if it's like the Shimano road line, the cost to go from 105 to Ultegra is not that much, but the step from Ultegra to Dura Ace is a huge leap. I'm an Ultegra guy, and think it's the best bang for the buck.
By my estimates (and I'm not advocated any position here, I love Ultegra BTW, I've got mixed Ultegra DA) the full groupo jump from Ultegra to DA, is only about 350 dollars. But Force to Red, holy 700 dollar jump!

Red costs more than Super Record? Wow . . .
johnknappcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 06:39 AM   #7
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnknappcc View Post
Red costs more than Super Record? Wow . . .
Using MSRP figures (which are fiction) that may be correct. However, in the "real world", Super Record, Record and even Chorus are more expensive than Red. In the case of Super Record, the cost is MUCH higher.

Colorado Cyclist lists complete build kits (everything but the frame and fork) for several component groups. Using the same wheel set (Easton EA70 in this example) to make the comparisons equivalent their prices are:

SRAM Red: $2100
SRAM Force: $1630
Campy Super Record 11:$3285
Campy Record 11: $2996
Campy Chorus 11: $2353
Shimano Dura Ace 7900: $2721
Shimano Ultegra 6600-G: $1428

Now a few of the accessory items aren't identical. The Campy groups come with their own brand carbon seat posts and headsets while the SRAM and Shimano groups are supplied with an FSA carbon post and an FSA headset but these by no means account for most of the cost differences.

Also note CC doesn't list or sell Rival, Centaur or 105 so these group prices are not available from them for comparison.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 09:46 AM   #8
johnknappcc
Senior Member
 
johnknappcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
Using MSRP figures (which are fiction) that may be correct. However, in the "real world", Super Record, Record and even Chorus are more expensive than Red. In the case of Super Record, the cost is MUCH higher.

Colorado Cyclist lists complete build kits (everything but the frame and fork) for several component groups. Using the same wheel set (Easton EA70 in this example) to make the comparisons equivalent their prices are:

SRAM Red: $2100
SRAM Force: $1630
Campy Super Record 11:$3285
Campy Record 11: $2996
Campy Chorus 11: $2353
Shimano Dura Ace 7900: $2721
Shimano Ultegra 6600-G: $1428

Now a few of the accessory items aren't identical. The Campy groups come with their own brand carbon seat posts and headsets while the SRAM and Shimano groups are supplied with an FSA carbon post and an FSA headset but these by no means account for most of the cost differences.

Also note CC doesn't list or sell Rival, Centaur or 105 so these group prices are not available from them for comparison.
Maybe so, I got my figures from Lickton's as they have specials on full groups sometimes. Yeah, they don't include the seatposts or headsets. They've got the SR 11 group (drivetrain only) for 1988, and Red for about 2100.
johnknappcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.