Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Not the Slowest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Riverdale, NY
    My Bikes
    2002 Seven Axiom
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    7 speed wheel upgrade option possibility?

    My commuter has a down tube shifter, double front and 7 in the back. I am unhappy with my rear wheel as I had it re-built in December and popped 2 spokes (same side) in the last month. It is NOT A Quality Wheel, but unsure what I can get for a 7 speed, weight is NOT an issue.

    I would like to know if I can do the following:

    Keep set up and put a Mavic Open pro on the back with a 8 or 9 speed cassette.
    I know I will be unable to use the 8 or 9, But will this work as index or friction only?

    Do you know of a good quality 7 speed wheel ?

    Robert
    Robert
    Not The Slowest, Never The Fastest, even Solo

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver, Co.
    Posts
    699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
    My commuter has a down tube shifter, double front and 7 in the back. I am unhappy with my rear wheel as I had it re-built in December and popped 2 spokes (same side) in the last month. It is NOT A Quality Wheel, but unsure what I can get for a 7 speed, weight is NOT an issue.

    I would like to know if I can do the following:

    Keep set up and put a Mavic Open pro on the back with a 8 or 9 speed cassette.
    I know I will be unable to use the 8 or 9, But will this work as index or friction only?

    Do you know of a good quality 7 speed wheel ?

    Robert
    I put open pro /w 6600 10 sp hub on and ran it with 7sp casette for a few months using an indexed 7 sp DT shifter,,, worked well...7 sp Casette needs a spacer to attach to the 10 sp hub. Then I changed to a 10 sp casette and 10 sp DT shifter and 10 sp chain...( you will need to spread the rear ,by the way..
    Bud

  3. #3
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    14,426
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
    My commuter has a down tube shifter, double front and 7 in the back. I am unhappy with my rear wheel as I had it re-built in December and popped 2 spokes (same side) in the last month. It is NOT A Quality Wheel, but unsure what I can get for a 7 speed, weight is NOT an issue.

    I would like to know if I can do the following:

    Keep set up and put a Mavic Open pro on the back with a 8 or 9 speed cassette.
    I know I will be unable to use the 8 or 9, But will this work as index or friction only?

    Do you know of a good quality 7 speed wheel ?

    Robert
    Why not ? Adjust your derailleur to go from smallest to biggest and you should be fine. You will probably need a narrower chain though.
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  4. #4
    Senior Member Not the Slowest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Riverdale, NY
    My Bikes
    2002 Seven Axiom
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldster View Post
    I put open pro /w 6600 10 sp hub on and ran it with 7sp casette for a few months using an indexed 7 sp DT shifter,,, worked well...7 sp Casette needs a spacer to attach to the 10 sp hub. Then I changed to a 10 sp casette and 10 sp DT shifter and 10 sp chain...( you will need to spread the rear ,by the way..
    Bud
    Spread the rear with a spacer, or numerous spacers?
    Robert
    Not The Slowest, Never The Fastest, even Solo

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver, Co.
    Posts
    699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
    Spread the rear with a spacer, or numerous spacers?
    spread it so the new wheel fits,,Probably be 130 mm, look on sheldons site for the technique, takes a couple minutes with a 2x4

    Bud

  6. #6
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldster View Post
    spread it so the new wheel fits,,Probably be 130 mm, look on sheldons site for the technique, takes a couple minutes with a 2x4

    Bud
    You don't even need to spread it, in my experience. Just squeeze the dropouts open a few mm to put in a 130mm wheel. After a few hundred miles of riding it, you won't even need to do that any more.
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Not the Slowest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Riverdale, NY
    My Bikes
    2002 Seven Axiom
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

    Sounds like my old building techniques.
    "If it doesn't fit....make it fit"
    Robert
    Not The Slowest, Never The Fastest, even Solo

  8. #8
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
    Thanks.

    Sounds like my old building techniques.
    "If it doesn't fit....make it fit"
    I know it sounds sketchy... but it works fine. You just squeeze the dropouts open from 126mm to 130mm (just a 3% change) and put the wheel in. Avoids all kind of difficulties with spreading the frame, and even works with aluminum where it's generally unsafe to permanently spread a frame.

    I have two bikes with thousands of miles between them that I've used this way, and not a single problem to report. I asked on rec.bicycles.tech before doing it on my aluminum frame, and found several others who had similarly used this technique without any issues.
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •