1-Removed the crank arm from the R side, the FD, also.
2-Removed the bolt-on cable guide for the FD (a piece of housing bent about 180 bolted to the frame)
3-Found a 3' piece of fairly rigid cable housing (clear outside a spiral core)
4-Straightened a nice, thin guage coat hangar, and left the spiral end intact, but straightened some.
For the FD, I inserted the coat hangar, looked in the bottom opening until I saw the end, took it out once, bent it, and re-inserted until I got it to come out the bottom. I pulled it gently through about 3", spun the cable housing onto it about 1", then slowly fed both back up through so I had housing coming out both ends of the frame. Then I pulled the hangar out, inserted my shifter cable, and ran it through, then pulled the housing out. The actual routing/mounting to the FD is a real pain on a Kestrel, but there's a reason for it: positive shifting.
For the RD, I basically repeated the process. No problem. Entire ordeal included 2 hours of fumbling, a couple nights of thinking about it, then 2 hours today and the bike is now outfitted with a Cervelo TT/Tri package and works just fine.
Thanks for the tips, guys.
Friends don't let friends drink and wrench.
1985 Raleigh Competition
Racing USA Series-Coleman made me do it.....
1987 Bridgestone Radac
- Aluminum (sadly, the frame is toast, RD hanger snapped off)
1988 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Master
1989 Centurion Carbon-R
- Carbon Fiber