Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Think "and" not "or".
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Old bike, new parts? Can I do these 3 things??

    Hi all,

    Hope everyone's having/ had a good day!

    Right, I’m looking at doing 3 things to a bike and I’ll start by briefly describing the bike.

    It’s an old Raleigh Shadow, 10 speed with the gear levers on the frame (photo attached of the bike). [IMG]file:///C:/Users/kat/Desktop/the%20Raleigh%20Shadow.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/kat/Desktop/the%20Raleigh%20Shadow.jpg[/IMG][quote]

    1st question:

    I would like to convert it from frame allocated gear shifters to the brake lever/thumb gear change combi's? Do you think it’s possible and if so, how could it be done?

    Question 2:

    Is it possible to relocate the rear brake assembly (even if that means buying a particular kind of brake set up to accomplish it) to the lower area next to the chainwheel and Front Derailer?? What do I need to consider, cable tension, space etc

    And last question:

    Is it possible to swap the normal bent/ angled front forks associated with older road/race bike's to a more modern style straighter style forks?

    Really hope you can shed some ideas or light on the subject’s, what do you think?

    Kind regards

    Scott.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mrsctbrse; 08-05-09 at 10:22 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit difficult without pics but I'll give it a go.

    Q1 - As long as you get thumb shifters the correct diameter for your bars and get the cable stops that mount where your downtube shifters are, it will just require new cables and housing

    Q2 - You will be moving your brake to a bad spot and I wouldn't do that. If you really want to go through with this, it would require looking at what your bike has to mount to at that point. If there is a bridge there that is large enough to be drilled and there is room inboard of the chainrings, it could be done.

    Q3 - It can be done but will probably throw off the geometry and may make the bike a bit squirley.

    Post some pics (including closeups of the area you want to mount the brakes) and you'll get better answers.

  3. #3
    Map maker cbchess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    My Bikes
    Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).
    Posts
    730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could move the shifter - you need a new shifter.
    look for Paul's

    http://www.bikeman.com/LD8800.html

    you will also need barcon shifters to go into this set up-

    OR find some NOS bar thumb shifter.

    It would be VERY hard to move the brake assembly unless you want some one to braze a new rear triangle on your bike - you'd be better off buying a new bike that has this set up already . So I would say practically NO
    Yes if you have unlimited funds.


    yes you can swap forks - just get a proper steer tube fit usually 1" or 1 1/8th"

    you will then need a new stem probably, and maybe a new headset if you go from a threaded fork to a thread-less one.

  4. #4
    EATS
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Aurora NY, 20 miles SE of Buffalo
    My Bikes
    We own a Santana Arriva S+S pulling a Burley Nomad, Qty 2 70's Raleighs updated, C-dale hybrid, Fuji hybrid
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gear shift change won't be much of a problem. You'll need to get new cable stops that attach to where the levers are now. Rivendell or Harris and others have them. Once you do that you can run whatever shifters you want.

    You probably could put a brake on the chainstay bridge by drilling a hole and installing a caliper of the correct reach. It's possible that the one on the bike now could be relocated. The problems will be cable location and a casing stop. If you run casing from the hand lever all the way to the brake that will make it easier. There's a reason nobody puts brakes there, though. It will be guarenteed to get all gunged up with grit and crud from the road (especially after a wet ride) and eventually stop working. Not a great idea.

    Finally, changing the fork to one that has a different offset (even though it's a straight blade it will still have offset) will greatly affect the handling - maybe better, maybe worse. You'll need to do your research and you should start with Bicycle Quarterly Volume 5 #3. That issue focuses on frame geometry and fork offset, etc. Well worth the $8.

  5. #5
    Think "and" not "or".
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    A bit difficult without pics but I'll give it a go.

    Q1 - As long as you get thumb shifters the correct diameter for your bars and get the cable stops that mount where your downtube shifters are, it will just require new cables and housing

    Q2 - You will be moving your brake to a bad spot and I wouldn't do that. If you really want to go through with this, it would require looking at what your bike has to mount to at that point. If there is a bridge there that is large enough to be drilled and there is room inboard of the chainrings, it could be done.

    Q3 - It can be done but will probably throw off the geometry and may make the bike a bit squirley.

    Post some pics (including closeups of the area you want to mount the brakes) and you'll get better answers.
    SUPER! Great replies!

    There isnt a bridge for relocating the rear brake set up.... dam it! Ok lets forget about that then.

    I should have been clearer with regards to the gear shift relocation question. I meant replacing the frame based gear lever's with the brake and thumb leaver combination i.e. the gear change lever's are combined with the brake lever's! My bad!

    I am confidant that the first two can be done (can't post pictures at the moment because my camera had a water fight yesterday, and of course…. it lost!). The question I was most unsure of was changing the front forks, but that seems a possibility now.

    Thanks both of you for such quick replies!

  6. #6
    Think "and" not "or".
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlyons53 View Post
    The gear shift change won't be much of a problem. You'll need to get new cable stops that attach to where the levers are now. Rivendell or Harris and others have them. Once you do that you can run whatever shifters you want.

    You probably could put a brake on the chainstay bridge by drilling a hole and installing a caliper of the correct reach. It's possible that the one on the bike now could be relocated. The problems will be cable location and a casing stop. If you run casing from the hand lever all the way to the brake that will make it easier. There's a reason nobody puts brakes there, though. It will be guarenteed to get all gunged up with grit and crud from the road (especially after a wet ride) and eventually stop working. Not a great idea.

    Finally, changing the fork to one that has a different offset (even though it's a straight blade it will still have offset) will greatly affect the handling - maybe better, maybe worse. You'll need to do your research and you should start with Bicycle Quarterly Volume 5 #3. That issue focuses on frame geometry and fork offset, etc. Well worth the $8.

    Thanks, this is really great stuff!

    I didn’t consider that relocating the rear brake to the mentioned area might clog it up, mmmm I'll have to really think about it because I would use canal tow paths every once in a while.

    Food for thought, thanks again johnlyons53.

  7. #7
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsctbrse View Post
    SUPER! Great replies!

    There isnt a bridge for relocating the rear brake set up.... dam it! Ok lets forget about that then.

    I should have been clearer with regards to the gear shift relocation question. I meant replacing the frame based gear lever's with the brake and thumb leaver combination i.e. the gear change lever's are combined with the brake lever's! My bad!

    I am confidant that the first two can be done (can't post pictures at the moment because my camera had a water fight yesterday, and of course…. it lost!). The question I was most unsure of was changing the front forks, but that seems a possibility now.

    Thanks both of you for such quick replies!
    Not so easy. You need to know that the old gear is going to work with the new. Brakes could work, but make sure the levers is not mäde for V-brakes.

    The new (MTB / hybrid type) click-shift gear shifters is not going to work. You need a new front der and a rear der, and I am also sure you need a new casette/freewheel. Easyest way for this is a new rear hub, and therefor spreading the rear triangel of the bike to give space for the new hub.

    You can do something in between if you can find a 80`s MTB with thumb shifters to use as a donorbike and use shifters and der`s from there.

    Search the forums, there is plenty threads about this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to assume that you want to switch to what we call "brifters" on your existing drop bar. If that is correct, and if your bike is truly an old 10-speed (5 gears in the back and 2 up front), you are going to have to do a LOT of part swapping. You will most likely have to replace: Front and rear derailleurs, crankset and bottom bracket, chain, brake levers, and your rear wheel. On a bike of that vintage, I would go SS and get a newer bike.
    DEMON

    Satanic Mechanic
    STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

    2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
    1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)

  9. #9
    GO BIG RED norwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hastings,NE
    My Bikes
    1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820
    Posts
    678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demoncyclist View Post
    I'm going to assume that you want to switch to what we call "brifters" on your existing drop bar. If that is correct, and if your bike is truly an old 10-speed (5 gears in the back and 2 up front), you are going to have to do a LOT of part swapping. You will most likely have to replace: Front and rear derailleurs, crankset and bottom bracket, chain, brake levers, and your rear wheel. On a bike of that vintage, I would go SS and get a newer bike.
    +1 Except for the SS part, I totally agree. Putting shift/brake levers on this bike is not going to be easy or cheap. (5 speed brifters don't exist) I would either clean and tune and have a nice vintage ride and/or sell it and get a newer bike with the features you desire.
    1996 Bianchi Veloce
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3
    1992 Trek 700
    1992 Trek 820

  10. #10
    Senior Member c_m_shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paradise, TX
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Redline Monocog 29er, Generic Track bike, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker
    Posts
    1,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy a late model used bike for less $ than the conversion you have in mind.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.
    May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •