Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-09, 08:11 PM   #1
Mash Master
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mash Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ritchey wcs compatability with sram cassette?

I am attempting to swap out an Ultegra cassette for a sram pc-1070 cassette. The manual for the hub claims to be sram compatible but the cassette won't fit on the hub. Does anyone know if a Ritchey WCS protocol hub is compatible? The spline pattern appears to be the same but it wont go on past 1/8" onto the hub.
Mash Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 08:52 PM   #2
lane
Member
 
lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Jasper Alberta Canada
Bikes: Karate Monkey, Jake, Steamroller
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sram and Shimano both share the same spline pattern. Check the edge of each spline on the freehub body to make sure that there isn't any nicks or gouges that are keeping the cassette from going on. Its pretty common on light aluminium. If you do find a mark, lightly file it down and polish it with some fine emery cloth.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 09:06 PM   #3
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just swapped out a Shimano 105 with a SRAM PG1070 cassette - perfect compatibility. Hub is a Bontrager.
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 09:11 PM   #4
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer
 
rydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: A dozen or so.
Posts: 2,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend had this problem. His WCS wheels were Shimano 10 speed specific (with the higher splines). I had a set of 8/9/10 WCS wheels that worked fine though. You might be out of luck.
rydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 09:25 PM   #5
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaddy View Post
My friend had this problem. His WCS wheels were Shimano 10 speed specific (with the higher splines). I had a set of 8/9/10 WCS wheels that worked fine though. You might be out of luck.
I believe this only applies to the Dura Ace hub. The aluminum freehub body requires more contact area for lower stress, hence the taller splines.
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 09:51 PM   #6
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer
 
rydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: A dozen or so.
Posts: 2,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPie View Post
I believe this only applies to the Dura Ace hub. The aluminum freehub body requires more contact area for lower stress, hence the taller splines.
There are WCS hubs out there with the same spline height. No doubt. My friend bought a Sram cassette that he soon had to sell.
rydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 10:06 PM   #7
Mash Master
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mash Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I splines are higher.... bummer. looks like I'm out of luck unless I change out the hub :-(
Mash Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 10:09 PM   #8
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash Master View Post
I splines are higher.... bummer. looks like I'm out of luck unless I change out the hub :-(
I would assume if the Ultegra cassette fit, then the SRAM cassette would fit.
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 10:54 PM   #9
Mash Master
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mash Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After examination the ultegra cassette has deeper grooves in the cassette.
Mash Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 11:34 PM   #10
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer
 
rydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: A dozen or so.
Posts: 2,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPie View Post
I would assume if the Ultegra cassette fit, then the SRAM cassette would fit.
I once assumed the same thing until I saw the difference. Ultegra CS-6600 cassettes fit on tall or short splined cassette bodies. Sram cassettes only fit on the short splined bodies (8/9/10 speed). The wheels in question have taller splines.
rydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 02:14 AM   #11
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you can live with lower durability on the freehub-body, you can grind the tips of the splines on the cogs so they fit. This will increase the pressure at the contact point on the body. VERY important to tighten the lockring all the way to recommended torque to lock all the cogs together so they distribute the load across all the cogs and all their splines.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 02:43 PM   #12
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydaddy View Post
I once assumed the same thing until I saw the difference. Ultegra CS-6600 cassettes fit on tall or short splined cassette bodies. Sram cassettes only fit on the short splined bodies (8/9/10 speed). The wheels in question have taller splines.
Well, that explains it.
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 10:27 AM   #13
Mash Master
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mash Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
If you can live with lower durability on the freehub-body, you can grind the tips of the splines on the cogs so they fit. This will increase the pressure at the contact point on the body. VERY important to tighten the lockring all the way to recommended torque to lock all the cogs together so they distribute the load across all the cogs and all their splines.
that scares me :-)

I have put the other cassette on ebay, let me know if you want to get it at a good deal. Shimano in 2010 has introduced an 11-28 cassette so I purchased that.
Mash Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 PM.