Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    My Bikes
    specialized p.2, schwinn predator, to be built ss road/track machine.
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    stupid truvativ and their stupid pedal inserts

    alright i just got some new crankbros mallet c's and when i went to take my stock pedals out the pedal thread insert came off with the spindle and i cant get it off... ive tried everything and ive pretty much demolished the insert. does anyone know if truvativ or anyone else sells just the inserts because i dont really want to drop a couple hundred bucks on a new crank because of a crappy insert.

  2. #2
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,526
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the inserts are supposed to come out. What is the warranty on the crankset?
    DEMON

    Satanic Mechanic
    STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

    2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
    1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)

  3. #3
    My own worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y'mean, the pedal threads aren't cut directly into the crank arm? There are inserts as part of the arm? Cr@p, I've got a bike with a Truvativ crank; I gotta see now if it has that same lame-@ss setup.

    Geez, that the insert didn't last the life of the arm constitutes a defect. Since it holds the pedal, it's a safety defect. Warranty or no, I'd be all over Truvativ like a bad leisure suit to repair/replace it. Keep hammering the safety issue; tell 'em your going to report it as a safety issue to the state dept. of consumer protection in Springfield.

    Insert in a friggin' crank arm. Lame-@SS!

  4. #4
    Senior Member BMXTRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truvativ I know is doing BMX cranks and possibly took the idea from Primo who started going to steel crank inserts for pedals after hundreds of riders stripped out the threads on the aluminum crank arms. I have now heard of lots of riders who have done the same thing, pulled the insert out, on their new aluminum cranks with inserts.

    My recommendation remains the same to all riders: Get Profile 3-piece cranks, they are time tested, and almost every rider who has ever owned a set will swear by them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    My Bikes
    specialized p.2, schwinn predator, to be built ss road/track machine.
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madpogue
    Y'mean, the pedal threads aren't cut directly into the crank arm? There are inserts as part of the arm? Cr@p, I've got a bike with a Truvativ crank; I gotta see now if it has that same lame-@ss setup.

    Geez, that the insert didn't last the life of the arm constitutes a defect. Since it holds the pedal, it's a safety defect. Warranty or no, I'd be all over Truvativ like a bad leisure suit to repair/replace it. Keep hammering the safety issue; tell 'em your going to report it as a safety issue to the state dept. of consumer protection in Springfield.

    Insert in a friggin' crank arm. Lame-@SS!
    no... there are threads in the crank arm its just that the insert screws into the crank arm and then the pedal goes into the insert. why they do this i have no idea. its just another set of threads to screw up.

    so i called up truvativ and of course they blamed it on me saying that i torqued the pedals in too much when they were freakin stock pedals!!!! but he said to bring it back to my LBS and have them call him up and do a warranty deally. so all is well that ends well..... just hope it doesnt happen again. hey truvativ if youre out there you guys suck moose balls.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you get your new cranks make sure antiseize is put on the pedal threads before installation

  7. #7
    My own worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpel85
    no... there are threads in the crank arm its just that the insert screws into the crank arm and then the pedal goes into the insert. why they do this i have no idea. its just another set of threads to screw up.
    So the threads in the crank arm aren't pedal threads; they must obviously be a different size. Man, that IS dumb. Here's a "morbidly curious" question: are the thread -> arm inserts on the left arm reverse thread, or plain-ol' clockwise?

  8. #8
    Look Ma, NO hands!
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    UC Tennessee
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the best way to fix this is to use some red Lock Tight on the insert, screw it into the crank, let it set up for 24 hours then the pedal should come right out of the insert, or is this something that has been tried?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    My Bikes
    specialized p.2, schwinn predator, to be built ss road/track machine.
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP
    When you get your new cranks make sure antiseize is put on the pedal threads before installation
    my bike is sitting at the LBS waiting for the new crank arm to come in so im sure theyll antisieze before they put the pedals on.


    Quote Originally Posted by madpogue
    So the threads in the crank arm aren't pedal threads; they must obviously be a different size. Man, that IS dumb. Here's a "morbidly curious" question: are the thread -> arm inserts on the left arm reverse thread, or plain-ol' clockwise?
    yeah they are a different size and it was right pedal that got stuck. that being said both inserts have regular(clockwise) threading so on the left pedal the insert is tightening as your loosening the pedal (which makes sense but is still lame for when youre tightening a pedal) but on the right side the insert and the pedal are both loosening (which is ********).


    Quote Originally Posted by uciflylow
    Looks like the best way to fix this is to use some red Lock Tight on the insert, screw it into the crank, let it set up for 24 hours then the pedal should come right out of the insert, or is this something that has been tried?
    it might have worked but i doubt it. i think the only way to get the insert off would be to dremel it (yeah thats how tight it was)the pedal must have mashed threads with the insert really bad from either a. doing drops or b. the pedal was torqued on too much by whoever built the bike. but o well the bike is at the shop waiting for truvativ to send out a new crank arm. the only thing that sucks is now i cant ride for like a week

  10. #10
    7 inch Weagle skdsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Townsville NQ Australia
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen that on a mate's Hussefelts, I just tightened the pedal back into the crank arm (came loose on a ride) and when I tried to remove it again (immediately) the insert stayed put and the pedal came out. If I come across it again I'll use loctite on the insert.
    05 Rocky Mountain ETS-X50 05 Ironhorse 7Point5 04 Ironhorse Glory Townsville Rockwheelers

  11. #11
    My own worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpel85
    both inserts have regular(clockwise) threading so on the left pedal the insert is tightening as your loosening the pedal (which makes sense but is still lame for when youre tightening a pedal)
    Not to mention it DEFEATS THE PURPOSE of reverse-threading the non-drive side!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    My Bikes
    specialized p.2, schwinn predator, to be built ss road/track machine.
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skdsl
    I've seen that on a mate's Hussefelts, I just tightened the pedal back into the crank arm (came loose on a ride) and when I tried to remove it again (immediately) the insert stayed put and the pedal came out. If I come across it again I'll use loctite on the insert.
    yeah i tried that but i wasnt as lucky.

    Quote Originally Posted by madpogue
    Not to mention it DEFEATS THE PURPOSE of reverse-threading the non-drive side!
    i know right!!! o well. but the warranty guy at truvativ said theyre not supposed to come out at all so i guess when you have non-lame crank arms its fine.

  13. #13
    Just give'er. hooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    04 Scrap
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skdsl
    I've seen that on a mate's Hussefelts, I just tightened the pedal back into the crank arm (came loose on a ride) and when I tried to remove it again (immediately) the insert stayed put and the pedal came out. If I come across it again I'll use loctite on the insert.
    1) What are inserts? Are they that piece of seperate metal, that has the socket of the pedal, that fits into the crank?

    I have hussefelts. First of all, my pedal's wrench fit thing is about 15mm wide. So I used a wrench that was about 13 cm in length with a 15mm diameter for the untightening. The pedal wouldn't budge, because my shop tightened it a ton. So should I take it to the shop or something? Or should I get a better wrench and try to untighten it my self? I'm afraid if I do it because the inserts (from what I gather) might come out! Can someone help me out on what insrts are aand how to remove a pedal, easily? (This is right pedal, using counter clock wise to untighten)

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the inserts are steel, that is a good idea as it will save the wear and tear on the aluminum threads.

    Before I started screaming about it, I would have cleaned the threads on the insert and the crank arm with acetone, coated the threads with Locktite Red and reassembled it. Waited a day then removed the pedal for maintenance or whatever reason I needed to take it off.

  15. #15
    Just give'er. hooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    04 Scrap
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the inserts? Is my guess correct? that piece of metal that has the socket for the pedal? I don't know if they're steel. They are hussefelt DHs that came with my 2004 kona scrap.

  16. #16
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're the washers that go between the pedal and the crankarm to keep the pedal from eating into the crankarm.

  17. #17
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,526
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. They are steel barrels that have pedal spindle threads on the inside, and a different thread on the outside. They are supposed to help prevent damage to the threads by being harder than the aluminum crankars, but they need to be installed properly at the factory (Lots and lots of Loctite) so that they stay in the crankarms.
    DEMON

    Satanic Mechanic
    STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

    2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
    1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    My Bikes
    specialized p.2, schwinn predator, to be built ss road/track machine.
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they need to design them in some other way that does not invole threading the outside of the inserts. i know its really hard (impossible i think) to weld aluminum to steel but im sure they could think of some other way to keep the insert caput without using threading.

  19. #19
    Giggity giggity! Dirtbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Danville, Ca
    My Bikes
    Yeti DJ Custom build. X.9, Marzocchi, RaceFace, Gamut, DT, Truvativ, Michelin, Hope.
    Posts
    1,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they should use the same Cryofit process as Marzocchi, and have the insert splined so it doesnt turn
    Rides: 06 Demo8 II, Yeti DJ
    Pin it baby!

  20. #20
    Newbike Hustler jdschall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Naptown
    My Bikes
    SoulCycles Titan
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new truvativ hussefelts have fixed this issue! I just installed a brand new set and if you look on the back you will see a groove keyed into the insert that lines up with a groove keyed into the crank. A small allen headed screw is tapped into these grooves which prevents the insert from unthreading in the crank. Yet it can still be removed if damaged by unscrewing the small key.

    There you go. Sounds like Truvativ was listening.

    Dave

    Edit: Picture added. Werd.
    "I'm tired of your lack of faith" - Gravey.

    My ride: Soul Cycles Titan.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    My Bikes
    specialized p.2, schwinn predator, to be built ss road/track machine.
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thatll work.... now i just gotta call em up and convince them to send me a new set for free haha.

  22. #22
    Just give'er. hooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    04 Scrap
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? My insert screwed out. Lame!

  23. #23
    Just give'er. hooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    04 Scrap
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lame Lame Lame Lame Laaammmmeee.



    Arrrgggghhhhh!!! Hooligan Is Angry.

  24. #24
    Just give'er. hooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    04 Scrap
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I got this stuff called permatex, which was better than the loctite available (red, no clear was abailable). It requires extra effort or special tools/heat to be removed, meant for permanent grip. So I wonder, how long does this stuff take to cure? I already cleaned the threads and screwed in the insert with the locker on it.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Waxbytes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan
    Okay, so I got this stuff called permatex, which was better than the loctite available (red, no clear was abailable). It requires extra effort or special tools/heat to be removed, meant for permanent grip. So I wonder, how long does this stuff take to cure? I already cleaned the threads and screwed in the insert with the locker on it.

    Give it a day (24 hrs)
    Uhmm...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •