Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-09, 06:29 PM   #1
SalParadise
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Tires, New Rim Tape

Hey.

I purchased a Fuji Newest 2.0 about 4 months ago. I basically used the stock tires, rubber(?) rim tape, and tubes (with only 2 flats) until about yesterday, when I got a new pair of Bontrager race lite hardcase tires. These tires are able to take about 30psi more pressure than the old tires. That's when the trouble started. After putting on the new tires, it popped a flat (without riding) in the back tire after about an hour. Then, the same thing happened with the front tire! Bummer.

I took a look at both tires, and confirmed spoke punctures in both tires. I purchased (cloth) forte rim tape and (knock on wood) it seems to be working.

I guess I figured it out, really, but my question is: does better rim tape really make that much of a difference in preventing flats? I suppose it does for my wheels, but what about for other people? Any experiences?

Thanks everyone.
SalParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 07:22 PM   #2
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes - better rim-tape can be the difference of riding, or carrying, your bike. Most, myself included, use Velox. It does last a very long time. Make sure it's wide enough to completely cover every spoke. It's available in 3 sizes - 22mm, 17mm, and 11mm.

I'm not familiar with "forte."
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 07:31 PM   #3
wrk101
DRF aka Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The NC Mountains
Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
Posts: 19,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Forte" is the Performance Bike house brand.
wrk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 07:33 PM   #4
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
My LBS said to not use cloth tape on 27" wheels, but use it for 700c. Is this true, does the width of the strip matter?
it's all in the width. cloth is fine for any size rim you can cut it if it's too long, but if you use a plastic snap fit, those will only fit certain sizes.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 07:36 PM   #5
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The width should be enough to cover, with room to spare, every single spoke. You want, if need be, to have it wider then needed - NOT thinner.

You must have misunderstood the guy at the LBS. Velox works on any wheel regardless of it being 700C or 27-inch. Or 26-inch for that matter. I just trued/rebuilt wheels for my 3-speed 26" wheels. Used 22mm Velox cloth-tape.
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 07:44 PM   #6
pacificaslim
Surf Bum
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pacifica, CA
Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.
Posts: 2,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FWIW, just because a tire can handle higher psi than your old tires, it doesn't necessarily mean that you should be pumping them up to that max psi. The best psi for you depends on your weight vs. the size of the tire. Harder does not equal faster (though it does equal less comfortable).
pacificaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 08:25 PM   #7
Duo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
The width should be enough to cover, with room to spare, every single spoke. You want, if need be, to have it wider then needed - NOT thinner.

You must have misunderstood the guy at the LBS. Velox works on any wheel regardless of it being 700C or 27-inch. Or 26-inch for that matter. I just trued/rebuilt wheels for my 3-speed 26" wheels. Used 22mm Velox cloth-tape.

thanks. Are you saying it must fit within the spoke nipple groove to be right? i bought some Velox and it was wider than the groove on my 27" wheel. Its still on there as nothing has happened yet.
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 09:02 PM   #8
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As long as it covers all the spoke-nipples with good overlap to the sides of the nipples - it's doing it's job. It's okay for it to climb a little up the walls of the rim, but not so much that it interferes with seating the tire-beads.
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 06:21 AM   #9
Duo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
As long as it covers all the spoke-nipples with good overlap to the sides of the nipples - it's doing it's job. It's okay for it to climb a little up the walls of the rim, but not so much that it interferes with seating the tire-beads.
thanks

i put the cloth on the beater 27" wheel bike to see what happens. So far nothing. Next step is to find a supply of different widths of tape. Mostly just rubber available.

Last edited by Duo; 09-15-09 at 08:12 PM.
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 07:11 AM   #10
LeeG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stopped buying rim tape 25yrs ago. Depending on the type of rim I'd use one or two layers of misc. tape, fiberglass/duct/electricians. Now I'm using one layer of Gorilla tape with no problem for double wall rims. I changed a flat for a friend that had a stiff yellow plastic tape that had splits in the plastic over a few spoke holes.
LeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 08:43 AM   #11
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,529
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
My LBS said to not use cloth tape on 27" wheels, but use it for 700c. Is this true, does the width of the strip matter?
I suspect it's not 27" vs. 700c that makes the difference as much as single wall vs. double wall rims.

I can't remember seeing a 27" rim that wasn't single wall. The nipple heads would rub the inner tube directly but that cheap little rubber rim strip keeps that from happening.

Most 700c rims are double wall. The nipple heads are hidden in little holes. Cheap rubber rim strips aren't adequate to resist 100 psi air pressure from pushing them down into those holes. It's important that even quality rim tape, like Velox, completely cover every tiny arc of those spoke holes. If it doesn't, your inner tube will be extruded against the sharp aluminum rim and get cut.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 09:14 AM   #12
finnyct90
Daily Rider
 
finnyct90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hudson Valley New York
Bikes: way more than I need but not more than I want
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
I stopped buying rim tape 25yrs ago. Depending on the type of rim I'd use one or two layers of misc. tape, fiberglass/duct/electricians. Now I'm using one layer of Gorilla tape with no problem for double wall rims. I changed a flat for a friend that had a stiff yellow plastic tape that had splits in the plastic over a few spoke holes.


Hey Lee...That is cool!!! Duct Tape, the handyman's secret weapon.
finnyct90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 09:42 AM   #13
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte
 
DMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas
Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
Posts: 6,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificaslim View Post
FWIW, just because a tire can handle higher psi than your old tires, it doesn't necessarily mean that you should be pumping them up to that max psi. The best psi for you depends on your weight vs. the size of the tire. Harder does not equal faster (though it does equal less comfortable).
+1

A tire that's too hard costs energy - not in rolling resistance, but in bouncing.
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

- Will Rogers
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 10:42 AM   #14
LeeG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyct90 View Post
Hey Lee...That is cool!!! Duct Tape, the handyman's secret weapon.
gorilla tape is the one, heavier threads closer together than duct tape. Duct tape gets messy. Way back when I think I raced with two layers of duct tape or one layer of fiberglass packing tape with electrical tape over that. I just don't get the big deal about buying specialized rim tape.

Last edited by LeeG; 09-15-09 at 11:28 AM.
LeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 10:50 AM   #15
Rogue Leader
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Merrick, NY
Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
gorilla tape is the one, heavier threads closer together than duct tape. Way back when I think I raced with two layers of duct tape or one layer of fiberglass packing tape with electrical tape over that. I just don't get the big deal about buying specialized rim tape.
Cause it works, its a dollar a roll, cut perfectly for 1 loop which is all you need, easy to adjust remove and replace, and just goes right on. Not like we are talkin big bucks here, and how often are you taping rims?
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 11:15 AM   #16
LeeG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Cause it works, its a dollar a roll, cut perfectly for 1 loop which is all you need, easy to adjust remove and replace, and just goes right on. Not like we are talkin big bucks here, and how often are you taping rims?
wholesale maybe but retail it's $3+. You're at home, in the garage and it's 9pm. You change a tube and see the rim tape is suspect, what now, put off changing the tire until you can go to the store? Then after using whatever makeshift tape is available do you immediately finish your ride at the bike shop to remove all that tape and reinstall with the official rim tape?

http://www.bikeman.com/store/merchant.mvc?

ps. when I say "suspect" I mean the official cloth/plastic tape that came with the wheel and it's shifted or applied with one edge not quite covering the spoke hole or in the recent case I fixed a friends flat tire on a double wall rim the plastic was split allowing the tube to squish into the hole.

36'x1.88" roll of gorilla tape is around $6.

Last edited by LeeG; 09-15-09 at 11:27 AM.
LeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 11:30 AM   #17
Rogue Leader
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Merrick, NY
Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
wholesale maybe but retail it's $3+. You're at home, in the garage and it's 9pm. You change a tube and see the rim tape is suspect, what now, put off changing the tire until you can go to the store? Then after using whatever makeshift tape is available do you immediately finish your ride at the bike shop to remove all that tape and reinstall with the official rim tape?

http://www.bikeman.com/store/merchant.mvc?

ps. when I say "suspect" I mean the official cloth/plastic tape that came with the wheel and it's shifted or applied with one edge not quite covering the spoke hole or in the recent case I fixed a friends flat tire on a double wall rim the plastic was split allowing the tube to squish into the hole.
My LBS sells Velox tape for a buck a roll. If I were faced with that situation and I HAD to ride somewhere, sure I would find another way (some sort of duct tape combo or whatever to get by). If I did not need to ride it immediately I would leave the bike, go get a new roll the next day and do it right the first time. Duct tape leaves a sticky mess, electrical tape as well. Packing tape comes apart when youre removing it, its a fight. Real rim tape is sticky enough to maintain its place but loose enough to adjust properly, and if you gotta replace it it comes right off no mess. It works right, fits properly, and goes on quickly. I can't believe we are even debating this, its a dollar.
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 11:58 AM   #18
LeeG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
It works right, fits properly, and goes on quickly. I can't believe we are even debating this, its a dollar.

hey, I sold the stuff when I had a shop and used it myself. Maybe it was having kids or something. 15yrs went by, I was in the garage, changed a tire and nothing else was available. Pfft, velox rim tape dissapeared forever from my bike tool box.

Agreed duct tape is a mess and fiberglass packing tape leaves threads everywhere. That's why Gorilla tape is better. It's the internet, we could debate the appropriateness of zip ties or galvanized screws.
LeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 01:30 PM   #19
Rogue Leader
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Merrick, NY
Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
hey, I sold the stuff when I had a shop and used it myself. Maybe it was having kids or something. 15yrs went by, I was in the garage, changed a tire and nothing else was available. Pfft, velox rim tape dissapeared forever from my bike tool box.

Agreed duct tape is a mess and fiberglass packing tape leaves threads everywhere. That's why Gorilla tape is better. It's the internet, we could debate the appropriateness of zip ties or galvanized screws.
For some reason that reminds me of a compltely random story. I was the regional tech inspector for the NY SCCA chapter, we had a guy bring his car through tech with his 5 point racing harness mounted with... you guessed it zip ties!

He swore they held well... he wasn't happy when I cut all of them and advised him seatbelts should not be installed with ZIP TIES.
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 08:09 PM   #20
Duo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
I suspect it's not 27" vs. 700c that makes the difference as much as single wall vs. double wall rims.

I can't remember seeing a 27" rim that wasn't single wall. The nipple heads would rub the inner tube directly but that cheap little rubber rim strip keeps that from happening.

Most 700c rims are double wall. The nipple heads are hidden in little holes. Cheap rubber rim strips aren't adequate to resist 100 psi air pressure from pushing them down into those holes. It's important that even quality rim tape, like Velox, completely cover every tiny arc of those spoke holes. If it doesn't, your inner tube will be extruded against the sharp aluminum rim and get cut.
i stand corrected.

The 700c wheels are different than my 27's and advised me to use cloth in the 700c for the extra support they need.

He says the rubber rim tape was best for when the nipples stick up. (been a long day)
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 03:37 PM   #21
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte
 
DMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas
Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
Posts: 6,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
For some reason that reminds me of a compltely random story. I was the regional tech inspector for the NY SCCA chapter, we had a guy bring his car through tech with his 5 point racing harness mounted with... you guessed it zip ties!

He swore they held well... he wasn't happy when I cut all of them and advised him seatbelts should not be installed with ZIP TIES.
Are you ****ting me!? I would have had so much fun with that! (Yeah, I was a member of the Screw Crew for a while back in the 80's down in Texas Region. If I recall correctly, the regs are pretty specific about that.)
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

- Will Rogers
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 04:19 PM   #22
Rogue Leader
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Merrick, NY
Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF View Post
Are you ****ting me!? I would have had so much fun with that! (Yeah, I was a member of the Screw Crew for a while back in the 80's down in Texas Region. If I recall correctly, the regs are pretty specific about that.)
I was FLOORED... I'm like dude, give me some of the crack you are on cause it must be the BEST stuff on the planet!
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 AM.