Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ground Control Mtn Bike, Cannondale CAAD9 6 Triple
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2008 CAAD 9 Bottom Bracket issues

    I have a 08 CAAD9 6 with a Tiagra bottom bracket. How often do you have to regrease them. I have had it done twice so far. It is noisy again. I am 6'2" and 240lbs. Is it strong enough, so do I need a better quality bottom bracket? I guess I need to learn how to do it myself. The bike has 1500-2000 miles on it. It just seems like the repacking job should last longer than a couple months. It was ridden 40 miles on labor day in the rain.

  2. #2
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 2008 should be a sealed cartridge unit. If your LBS has told you that they repacked those bearings, they were only repacking their wallets.
    DEMON

    Satanic Mechanic
    STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

    2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
    1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,493
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the symptoms? Squeeks, clicks?? Is this a cartridge or external cup type? (Im not sure when Tiaga went to the external cup design).

    In any event, it should require almost no maintanance. If the noise is from the bb cup threads, then grease, or teflon tape on the threads shold keep it quiet for a long time.

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demoncyclist View Post
    A 2008 should be a sealed cartridge unit. If your LBS has told you that they repacked those bearings, they were only repacking their wallets.
    It is normal to take the cartridge out and regrease the shell + unit to prevent seizing when the bike is ridden heavily in crappy weather (e.g a long rainy season).
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ground Control Mtn Bike, Cannondale CAAD9 6 Triple
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. It has external cups. I think they took the cartridge out and put grease in it. I said they repacked them, but I guess they didn't. It is just squeeking. I guess, I need to get a wrench to take it apart and add some grease to them. The last time they used some sort of grease that was blue in color. There was some on my frame. I would like to fix this myself because the LBS is 70 miles away, so it takes 1/2 a day to get anything done.

  6. #6
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfg111 View Post
    Thanks for the info. It has external cups. I think they took the cartridge out and put grease in it. I said they repacked them, but I guess they didn't. It is just squeeking. I guess, I need to get a wrench to take it apart and add some grease to them. The last time they used some sort of grease that was blue in color. There was some on my frame. I would like to fix this myself because the LBS is 70 miles away, so it takes 1/2 a day to get anything done.
    Noises on a bike can be anything. If you're absolutely sure it's the BB, then a regreasing should've taken care of it. The rubber seals on the cup bearings themselves can also cause a squeaking noise.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  7. #7
    DOS
    DOS is offline
    Senior Member DOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA USA
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2004 cannondale CAAD 7 and had same issue with creaky BB when I first got the bike. Basically, as grease thins or washes away, friction between shell and cups increase and the slight imperfections in threading cause creaks. C'dales stiff CAAD alu and fat tubes seem particualrly prone to this problem because the tubes are just really efficient as transmitting sound (basically an echo chamber). You need something a bit more substantial that regular grease. I have used automotive antseize for several years and have had almost no creaking; it fills in the minute spaces between threads better and doesn't get washed away when riding in bad weather. Plumbers teflon tape also works.
    My Opinions > My Knowledge

  8. #8
    Big Mac and No hills. 800over's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Raleigh Tarantula
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besmirch not the name of the Holiest bike on Bikeforums! Oh Caad 9 forgive them for they know not what they are doing! Do not strike them down in their ignorance. Show them the light of your even better bottom bracket for 2010! Amen.

  9. #9
    DOS
    DOS is offline
    Senior Member DOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA USA
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 800over View Post
    Besmirch not the name of the Holiest bike on Bikeforums! Oh Caad 9 forgive them for they know not what they are doing! Do not strike them down in their ignorance. Show them the light of your even better bottom bracket for 2010! Amen.
    Hey man, I can't speak to CAAD 9, but CAAD 7 was an awesome frame in 2004 and remains an awesome frame in 2009. So far be it from me to say anything negative -- a shmere of antiseize and poster's creaks go away.
    My Opinions > My Knowledge

  10. #10
    Big Mac and No hills. 800over's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Raleigh Tarantula
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOS View Post
    Hey man, I can't speak to CAAD 9, but CAAD 7 was an awesome frame in 2004 and remains an awesome frame in 2009. So far be it from me to say anything negative -- a shmere of antiseize and poster's creaks go away.
    SHHHHH I'm trying to mock.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ground Control Mtn Bike, Cannondale CAAD9 6 Triple
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyones help. I will have to order a wrench and take it apart and add grease or tape to the cups. It is so annoying.

  12. #12
    Map maker cbchess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    My Bikes
    Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use two turns of tape, then grease and you will be golden.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,493
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchess View Post
    Use two turns of tape, then grease and you will be golden.
    This is a very belt-and-suspenders approach but it will certainly work. I like teflon tape for bb cup threads and, done properly, they remain completely quiet.

  14. #14
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    This is a very belt-and-suspenders approach but it will certainly work. I like teflon tape for bb cup threads and, done properly, they remain completely quiet.
    I've never actually come across a situation yet where grease or anti-seize hasn't solved a bb-related noise issue.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •