Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-04, 11:15 AM   #1
767Flyboy
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stripped threads in BB

I have a 2001 Specialized FSR Enduro and the plastic spacer on the BB broke and the BB started to flex and subsequently stripped the threads in the frame. Is there a way to repair this or do I have to get a new frame? Specialized offered a replacement frame for $500 but then I also have to buy a new rear shock for $400(old one will not fit) to fit the new frame so that's not really an option.

Cheers,
767Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 11:31 AM   #2
progre-ss
Senior Member
 
progre-ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Poconos, PA
Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the same thing happen to my bike. Threads on the fixed cup got stripped. Being an old bike that I love dearly, I didn't hesitate to JB weld the fixed cup to the BB shell. Works like a charm now! You may not want to do this to your Specialized and more importantly, you may not be able to do this. I guess my reply doesn't help much...sorry.
I think you may be able to rethread the BB if it wasn't stripped to bad.
progre-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 12:42 PM   #3
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,916
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Flyboy
I have a 2001 Specialized FSR Enduro and the plastic spacer on the BB broke and the BB started to flex and subsequently stripped the threads in the frame. Is there a way to repair this or do I have to get a new frame? Specialized offered a replacement frame for $500 but then I also have to buy a new rear shock for $400(old one will not fit) to fit the new frame so that's not really an option.

Cheers,
What have you tried so far? If it was my bike, I'd find a LBS that has a bottom bracket tap and see if cleaning up the threads will do the job. That'll be way cheaper than that $500.00 frame.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 01:08 PM   #4
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Posts: 17,316
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
If chasing the threads does not help, another option is to have it bored and tapped to Italian standard, 36mm x 24TPI, RH threaded. There are also threadless BB assemblies available.
__________________
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 06:52 PM   #5
767Flyboy
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by progre-ss
I had the same thing happen to my bike. Threads on the fixed cup got stripped. Being an old bike that I love dearly, I didn't hesitate to JB weld the fixed cup to the BB shell. Works like a charm now! You may not want to do this to your Specialized and more importantly, you may not be able to do this. I guess my reply doesn't help much...sorry.
I think you may be able to rethread the BB if it wasn't stripped to bad.

Yeah, I thought of JB Weld and it might happen unless I can get it fixed any other way.

Thanks
767Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 06:57 PM   #6
767Flyboy
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What have you tried so far? If it was my bike, I'd find a LBS that has a bottom bracket tap and see if cleaning up the threads will do the job. That'll be way cheaper than that $500.00 frame.
I am taking it to a frame builder tomorrow to see what he can do. There are some thread left and maybe he can tig weld a few beads and then tap it.

Thanks.
767Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 07:00 PM   #7
767Flyboy
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E
If chasing the threads does not help, another option is to have it bored and tapped to Italian standard, 36mm x 24TPI, RH threaded. There are also threadless BB assemblies available.
Now that is a very interesting approach! I didn't know that you can get a threadless BB. Any leads to where I can get more info on this?

Thanks.
767Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-04, 10:30 PM   #8
madpogue
My own worst nightmare
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Flyboy
Now that is a very interesting approach! I didn't know that you can get a threadless BB. Any leads to where I can get more info on this?

Thanks.
There are other threads here on bikeforums about it; I lack the time/inclination to track one down right now. Try a search on "Stronglight BB" or "Stronglight bottom bracket".
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-04, 12:44 AM   #9
progre-ss
Senior Member
 
progre-ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Poconos, PA
Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Stronglight threadless BB was offered as a suggested fix to my stripped thread problem. It's actually called the stronglight JP1000 and can be found at http://www.zefal.com/stronglight/pa...&keyProd=jp1000.
progre-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-04, 12:46 PM   #10
767Flyboy
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for the info. I took the bike to Ted Wojcik today in Hampsted, NH and he recut the threads and fitted a slightly different BB(longer threads). If this does not work he will custom fit press-in bearings and a new axel. Ted is truly an artist and the work he does on his frames is absolutely beautiful. He is also a really nice guy to talk to.
Cheers,
767Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 11:49 PM   #11
impact12
iBike
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question! I'm new to fixies and just bought a miata conversion. But not sure what it means when I hear sounds coming from the cranks or BB like metal scrapping to tapping when I pedal. I can also feel vibrations in the pedals. I'm guessing this has to do with my BB? Does it need to be replaced?

Thanks!
impact12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 11:53 PM   #12
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact12 View Post
Question! I'm new to fixies and just bought a miata conversion. But not sure what it means when I hear sounds coming from the cranks or BB like metal scrapping to tapping when I pedal. I can also feel vibrations in the pedals. I'm guessing this has to do with my BB? Does it need to be replaced?

Thanks!
It probably does need to be replaced.

The thread you just posted in is 4 years old.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 PM.