Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver CO
    My Bikes
    giant tcr advanced sl, trek pilot 5.2
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Replacing a BB . . . spindle diameter question

    I am replacing a 2009 Sram Force regular with a similar compact double, 50/34. I bought a Sram Force compact double with a GXP bottom bracket for a good price. I know the GXP won't work with the BB30 in my 2009 Giant tcr advanced sl but will the spindle on my new crank adapt to BB30? More specifically, is the spindle on my new crank 24mm while the spindle I'm replacing a 30mm? I also read there is an adapter that will adapt the 24mm crank to fit the BB30. I need some help. Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

  2. #2
    I suck, but you're worse
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd look around for a spindle shim, don't know if you will find one tho. It's kinda a bad idea to force a part that takes so much abuse as a crank/spindle to work in a space it is not intended for, seems like you would be asking for trouble, or at least poor performance.

  3. #3
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooprvylyn View Post
    I'd look around for a spindle shim, don't know if you will find one tho. It's kinda a bad idea to force a part that takes so much abuse as a crank/spindle to work in a space it is not intended for, seems like you would be asking for trouble, or at least poor performance.
    Don't guess.

    The OP is looking for something called a BB30 adapter. They exist: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=29424
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  4. #4
    I suck, but you're worse
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'd do some research on how well this adapter works before going with it. Look for some reviews of the part. Also the cost of using this piece might outweigh the cost of just getting and installing the proper BB-parts, labor and the chance of improper instalation. Part $20 shipping Probably another $7, installation at a shop maybe another $20-also it is out of stock at this site(you can probably find it wlsewhere). It might be cheaper to just get a new BB and install it yourself.

    If you decide to get it put up a review of your own for the rest of us who made need a part like this. Consumer reviews are an invaluable tool for this market.

  5. #5
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooprvylyn View Post
    Ok, I'd do some research on how well this adapter works before going with it. Look for some reviews of the part. Also the cost of using this piece might outweigh the cost of just getting and installing the proper BB-parts, labor and the chance of improper instalation. Part $20 shipping Probably another $7, installation at a shop maybe another $20-also it is out of stock at this site(you can probably find it wlsewhere). It might be cheaper to just get a new BB and install it yourself.

    If you decide to get it put up a review of your own for the rest of us who made need a part like this. Consumer reviews are an invaluable tool for this market.
    None of these are a concern if you actually knew how much a BB30 crankset costs. I do agree, the OP should probably just get an actual bb30 crankset though.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  6. #6
    I suck, but you're worse
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm not pretending to know how much every part costs, but if you are using nice parts you are using them because of thier improved performance. Why comprimise performance to jury rig a part to fit where it doesn't belong. If you are going to do this get a BB with a 24mm diameter and save the 30mm BB for later(or sell it on ebuy)

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver CO
    My Bikes
    giant tcr advanced sl, trek pilot 5.2
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. This may be a stupid question but do they make a large bb that will fit my giant tcr advanced for a 24mm axle?

  8. #8
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoss1 View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. This may be a stupid question but do they make a large bb that will fit my giant tcr advanced for a 24mm axle?
    Er. That should fit fine. It just uses the standard ext bottom bracket...?
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver CO
    My Bikes
    giant tcr advanced sl, trek pilot 5.2
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    replacing a BB . . . spindle diameter question

    Thanks for all the thoughts. I'm going to my LBS this am and we'll see if the crankset with the 24mm axle works. Here's hoping. If I go with the adapter I'll post later when I have some experience. Otherwise you'll see it on ebay. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing especially in my case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •