Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Stuck crankarm

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stuck crankarm

    I'm in the process of completely refurbishing a 24 yr old Fuji Del Ray.

    I have the frame completely stripped except for the BB. Problem is that I can't get the crank arm off. I think it's just on tight, but before I apply more force to the extractor, I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure

    1) there's no washer left in the crankarm
    2) The extractor piece is threaded in as far as it go with a wrench

    Then give'er.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MudPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Make sure

    1) there's no washer left in the crankarm
    2) The extractor piece is threaded in as far as it go with a wrench

    Then give'er.
    +1. I've done each of those lessons once on separate occasions.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.5, Klein Q Pro Elite, Surley LHT
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all the above fails get a pickel fork (a ball joint operator) and a hammer. Put the pickle fork between the crank and bb an hit the end of the fork HARD a caouple of time. This should be enough to break the crank arm, lose.

  5. #5
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kycycler View Post
    If all the above fails get a pickel fork (a ball joint operator) and a hammer. Put the pickle fork between the crank and bb an hit the end of the fork HARD a caouple of time. This should be enough to break the crank arm, lose.
    Lets not jump the gun here. I'm sure the crank will extract just fine.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  6. #6
    Senior Member MudPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Lets not jump the gun here. I'm sure the crank will extract just fine.
    +1, again.

    I've encountered a few crank arms that felt really tight initially. But with enough force, (&/or leverage) they've always extracted. Make sure you got a good quality tool and clean / grease the mating threads on the extractor and crank arm(s).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •