Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    tire size when changing from MTB to road?

    My MTB has 26 X 1.95 tires. I want to temporarily convert it to road use, Can I just use regular 26 X 1.75 road tires, or do I have to get new rims too? Thanks...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East metro-Atlanta
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced 26x1.95 "knobbies" with 26x1.50 "road" tires on our comfort bikes. A lot less noise and pedaling effort for the same speed. IMO, tires rated for 80 PSI rather than 50-65 PSI are a better mousetrap for hard surface riding.

  3. #3
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Posts
    5,905
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measure the narrowest point inside the rim walls of your wheel. You can use anything that is at least (or very close to) 1.5 times that width. 20mm inside would equal 30mm or greater width tire.

  4. #4
    Kid A TurbineBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1.75 tires will be fine, don't sweat going for "the narrower the better" vibe....harsh ride and truing wheels sucks.
    Cyclist, angler and aquarist

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    771
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene2308 View Post
    The 1.75 tires will be fine, don't sweat going for "the narrower the better" vibe....harsh ride and truing wheels sucks.
    I agree. Going thinner = higher pressure = harder on the buns! There are so many tire choices out there in 26" you should have no trouble finding a "road" profile in 1.95" width.

  6. #6
    Real Men Ride Ordinaries fuzz2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when is 1.5 inches a 'narrow' tyre? That comes out to be roughtly 38mm, or wider than even most comfort road bikes can take. That's plenty wide for even the most post holed of roads. I'm 90% sure that those tyres would fit on your current rims, and would make a world of difference in ride quality.

    Narrow tyres may provide a harsher ride, and be more prone to damaging wheels, but those are NOT narrow tires.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that conversion going from 2.1 to 1.75. In my ignorance, I didn't measure the rims but seems lucky so far.

  8. #8
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz2050 View Post
    Since when is 1.5 inches a 'narrow' tyre? That comes out to be roughtly 38mm, or wider than even most comfort road bikes can take. That's plenty wide for even the most post holed of roads. I'm 90% sure that those tyres would fit on your current rims, and would make a world of difference in ride quality.

    Narrow tyres may provide a harsher ride, and be more prone to damaging wheels, but those are NOT narrow tires.
    That *is* narrow for your typical dept. store/low end commuter bike e.g $1k bike that everyone buys everywhere. In the 26" size anyways. You don't see 26x1.5 tyres very often on bikes, the vast majority are the dept store variety size 26x2.1. It's rare to see any thing < 1.5 as the rim width often precludes using such a narrow tyre.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  9. #9
    Real Men Ride Ordinaries fuzz2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    That *is* narrow for your typical dept. store/low end commuter bike e.g $1k bike that everyone buys everywhere. In the 26" size anyways. You don't see 26x1.5 tyres very often on bikes, the vast majority are the dept store variety size 26x2.1. It's rare to see any thing < 1.5 as the rim width often precludes using such a narrow tyre.
    It's narrow for mountain bikes. And Department store bikes pretending to be mountain bikes. However most bikes I've seen sold as 'commuters' tend to have narrower tires (narrow of course being relative). And I have yet to meet a mountain bike rim that won't comfortably take a 1.5 pretty comfortably. Whenever someone gives me a bike for repairs, I swap out their tires for some 1.5 inch slicks, just so it seems like my repairs made the world of difference.

  10. #10
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz2050 View Post
    It's narrow for mountain bikes.
    Which is what 26" wheels are on...?
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  11. #11
    reTIRED JustCruisin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    My Bikes
    raleigh,trike x,puch mixte
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put 26 x 1.5 no problem stay with the decimal 1.25 /1.5 / 1.75 an avoid 1 3/8 etc different breed. oldler bikes. I run Continental sport contacts on mine and the wifes you will not believe how much easier they roll ! and still have good comfort,
    It's Not the destination, It's the Ride.

  12. #12
    I have senior moments... bikinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woodside, CA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    2,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inside width of your rim would be good to know, but unlikely you'll have any problems unless you go really skinny, like a 1" width tire (25mm), but a 1.75" tire is far from a normal "road" width in any case.
    suum quique
    Mountain bikes: Santa Cruz Hecklers (99, 02, 07), Santa Cruz Nomad, Moots YBB, Trek OCLV Pro Issue, American Breezer
    Road bikes: TST, Trek 2300 (Carbon/Alum)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •