Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Star nut sizes?

  1. #1
    Senior Member JeffOYB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Williamston, MI "Wee-um-stun"
    My Bikes
    Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Star nut sizes?

    I'm installing my first threadless headset. Everything went on fine. Now I'm trying to install the star nut (star-fanged nut). It seems significantly larger than the inside diameter of the steerer tube. I'm game for installing without the special ram-tool. I'm sure I could do it with a socket and small maul. I just want to be sure that this nut really should go into this steerer. Do they come in more sizes than just for 1 1/8 headsets? Maybe I have a thickwall steerer... Just to see if I'm on the right track, I screwed in the bolt and centered it and tried tapping it down into the opening a bit. It didn't seem like it wanted to go in. Seems a good 1/16th larger in diameter or more. Do the flanges bend/fold in quite a bit? I can make sure my fork-ends are resting on a 2x4 so that force isn't harsh on them but I want to be sure. The friend who I got the frame, fork and headset from said it all went together but he has a big scattered shop... Doublechecking here... And trying to get this done now. Not that I'm in a rush, but sheesh. I hate to get rolling then get stalled out. Thanks! --JP

  2. #2
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,875
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffOYB View Post
    I'm installing my first threadless headset. Everything went on fine. Now I'm trying to install the star nut (star-fanged nut). It seems significantly larger than the inside diameter of the steerer tube. I'm game for installing without the special ram-tool. I'm sure I could do it with a socket and small maul. I just want to be sure that this nut really should go into this steerer. Do they come in more sizes than just for 1 1/8 headsets? Maybe I have a thickwall steerer... Just to see if I'm on the right track, I screwed in the bolt and centered it and tried tapping it down into the opening a bit. It didn't seem like it wanted to go in. Seems a good 1/16th larger in diameter or more. Do the flanges bend/fold in quite a bit? I can make sure my fork-ends are resting on a 2x4 so that force isn't harsh on them but I want to be sure. The friend who I got the frame, fork and headset from said it all went together but he has a big scattered shop... Doublechecking here... And trying to get this done now. Not that I'm in a rush, but sheesh. I hate to get rolling then get stalled out. Thanks! --JP
    Star nuts are available for 1", 1 1/8, 1 1/4,and 1 1/2" steer tubes. If it's about 1/16" oversize, I'd say you have the correct one. They are supposed to collapse to fit the inner diameter of the tube. That's what holds it in place.

  3. #3
    Senior Member JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Munising, Michigan, USA
    My Bikes
    Hifi 29er, Stumpy 29er, Rockhopper 29er, ...
    Posts
    1,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at this page:

    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=130534

    it would appear that there are different size star nuts for aluminum versus steel steerers. Not sure that knowing that helps you much, but it does seem to be true that there is more than one size to consider for a 1 1/8" outside diameter steering tube.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    If you look at this page:

    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=130534

    it would appear that there are different size star nuts for aluminum versus steel steerers. Not sure that knowing that helps you much, but it does seem to be true that there is more than one size to consider for a 1 1/8" outside diameter steering tube.
    I've had trouble getting some star nuts to stay put in thin-walled steel steerers, so I can confirm that not all 1 1/8" star nuts are equal.

  5. #5
    Senior Member JeffOYB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Williamston, MI "Wee-um-stun"
    My Bikes
    Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaluna View Post
    I've had trouble getting some star nuts to stay put in thin-walled steel steerers, so I can confirm that not all 1 1/8" star nuts are equal.
    Yeah, that's my worry.

    My lame old calipers say the steerer has an ID of 31/32" (less than an inch). And my star-nut is 1 3/32". (A bit more than a 1/16" bigger than an inch.) So we're talking an overhang on all sides of 1/16", or a 1/8" diameter difference. Sound like the right thing? Sounds like it MIGHT be.

    Or, do I have a steel steerer star-nut somehow? (My pal was a racer with high-end extra-light bikes. Why would he have a steel steerer fork? Maybe he got it accidentally as well...)

    Thanks, JP

  6. #6
    Senior Member JeffOYB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Williamston, MI "Wee-um-stun"
    My Bikes
    Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: Hey, thanks everyone -- it all worked out fine. I hit it a few times with a small maul using a small socket over the star-nut bolt and it went in dandy. I just wanted to be sure. So I'd say that 1/16" overlap all around means you have the right size. --JP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •