I tried to plan this out as efficiently as possible before posting:
I'm planning on upgrading my full Shimano Dura Ace 7400 equipped bike with 10 speed utilizing a mix of newer DA/Ultegra. Here is what I have on hand and what I am planning on using, indicated in the list.
- DA (7800 or 7900) 10 speed downtube shifters (have yet to acquire)
- reusing FC-7400 crank
- Shimano WH-7800 wheelset - Dura Ace 7800 10 speed only (have)
- Ultegra 6600 front derailleur (have)
- DA 7800 or Ultegra 6600 short cage rear derailleur (have yet to acquire)
- suitable 10 speed cassette, probably Ultegra (don't have that yet either)
- 10 speed chain (not entirely sure what to get)
1 Would that work?
2 Is there anything I have omitted, or is there anything in that list that I do not need to change?
3 Are there any variants of hyperglide chainrings that I might be able to mount to my FC-7400 crank?
4 How important is it to use a Shimano "10 speed" rear derailleur for this setup? Could use a 9 speed? Could I use a Campy RD, like Veloce or Mirage, or maybe even Sram?
5 What chain would you recommend for this?
I would appreciate your feedback, O wizards of BF. Thanks!