Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Senior Member chi-james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My Bikes
    team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    stem and stem adapter question

    I need a shorter stem (< 190mm QUILL length, 26.0, ~72D) with at least 100mm extension/reach, I can't seem to find one. Do they exist?
    Also, does anyone here have any experience with stem adapters?
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_201527

    Do they work well? reliable?

    thanks for any help.

    p.s. a quill stem

    p.p.s. I'm an apprentice mechanic to myself, the internet, and everyone here (in other words, noob to you).

    p.p.p.s. I've just been having some trouble finding a road style quill stem that would "place the handlebar out" 100mm. I'm not looking for height (80 - 100 mm tops). I think I've found one that would work (Nitto dynamic quill stem) but can't tell how long the quill is since I'm quite confused by the posted dimensions I'm finding on various websites.
    For instance, 100 mm / 26.0 / 72D which part of the whole piece is 100 mm and why is there only one measurement?

    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...MIC+QUILL+STEM
    Last edited by chi-james; 10-06-09 at 10:47 AM. Reason: detail

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threaded quill ? or threadless ? You want to gain height ?

  3. #3
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stem adapters work fine. 100mm threadless stems are easily available everywhere.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  4. #4
    Senior Member chi-james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My Bikes
    team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, I'm talking about quill... kinda implied I thought, but yeah, I should be more specific. Just trying to see if I can make this 54cm frame "fit" me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you did imply. I've used the adapters. They're OK, provides somewhat more "choices". If you want to gain height, you still need a stem that has an upward pitch, I meen a severe upsweep. On one bike I'd miscalculated, gained very little ht. That's a start, more to it than that though. DO make sure that you don't settle for a minor up-angle. To gain even an inch, it's got to be severe, pretty much like they use on M. Bikes. I've had better results with Hi-rise quills.

  6. #6
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-james View Post
    sorry, I'm talking about quill... kinda implied I thought, but yeah, I should be more specific. Just trying to see if I can make this 54cm frame "fit" me.
    You need 100mm upwards or 100m horizontal. Please be specific.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  7. #7
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Velo-Orange threadless stem adapter and stem on two of my bikes, and have found them to be less flexy than the Nitto Technomic quill stems I replaced. The V-O stems are available in different lengths and in both 6-degree and 17-degree versions.

    - Stan

  8. #8
    Senior Member chi-james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My Bikes
    team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how high can I mount a stem to a stem adapter? I'm guessing not very?

    I'm not really looking for more height... well, not any more than the shorter 8 cm stem that was originally on the bike. But are you saying that with the stem adapter, I would have to mount the stem at about the same level as the top of the headset?

    Horizontal extension is what I am trying to adjust.
    Last edited by chi-james; 10-05-09 at 11:34 PM. Reason: detail

  9. #9
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we wait for the true dimensions required for the OP's purpose:

    I use a Profile Design stem-converter that fits my 1-inch headset and converts the upper portion to the current standard of 1-1/8 inch. Works perfectly. I would only caution to be careful of the one made by Dimension. It requires a long headtube - Or - you need a very tall converter.

    Nitto makes a truly beautiful one which will run one around $35. Others, just as good, $10 - $15.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  10. #10
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-james View Post
    how high can I mount a stem to a stem adapter? I'm guessing not very?

    I'm not really looking for more height... well, not any more than the shorter 8 cm stem that was originally on the bike. But are you saying that with the stem adapter, I would have to mount the stem at about the same level as the top of the headset?
    It depends on the adapter, but the V-O adapter provides plenty of height above the minimum insertion line:

    "The VO stem adapter fits in a regular 22.2mm fork and works with a 1-1/8" (28.6mm) stem; 180mm total length, 110mm above the min. insert line, steel bolt and wedge. It accepts a standard 1-1/8", 40mm stack height stem The finish is high polish alloy. 272g."
    - Stan

  11. #11
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-james View Post
    how high can I mount a stem to a stem adapter? I'm guessing not very?

    I'm not really looking for more height... well, not any more than the shorter 8 cm stem that was originally on the bike. But are you saying that with the stem adapter, I would have to mount the stem at about the same level as the top of the headset?

    Horizontal extension is what I am trying to adjust.
    Stem adapters don't allow a very high adjustment (it IS adjustable though). Horizontally you have a bazillion options in threadless stems, easily available from 80mm->130mm.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  12. #12
    Senior Member chi-james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My Bikes
    team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Stem adapters don't allow a very high adjustment (it IS adjustable though). Horizontally you have a bazillion options in threadless stems, easily available from 80mm->130mm.
    that's exactly why I'm thinking of going the stem adapter route, but I'd really like to find a quill stem that isn't too steep with about a 10 cm extension and a quill less than 19 cm (is that just a structurally unsound ratio?)

  13. #13
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-james View Post
    that's exactly why I'm thinking of going the stem adapter route, but I'd really like to find a quill stem that isn't too steep with about a 10 cm extension and a quill less than 19 cm (is that just a structurally unsound ratio?)
    Quill stems don't generally come in lengths more than 130-140mm. If you need more reach than this you need to buy a bigger frame.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  14. #14
    Senior Member chi-james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My Bikes
    team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    It depends on the adapter, but the V-O adapter provides plenty of height above the minimum insertion line:

    "The VO stem adapter fits in a regular 22.2mm fork and works with a 1-1/8" (28.6mm) stem; 180mm total length, 110mm above the min. insert line, steel bolt and wedge. It accepts a standard 1-1/8", 40mm stack height stem The finish is high polish alloy. 272g."
    thanks very much for the information.

  15. #15
    Senior Member chi-james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My Bikes
    team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Quill stems don't generally come in lengths more than 130-140mm. If you need more reach than this you need to buy a bigger frame.
    I agree, but think that a 10 cm horizontal extension is not excessive. or is it?

  16. #16
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-james View Post
    I agree, but think that a 10 cm horizontal extension is not excessive. or is it?
    No. It's standard.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  17. #17
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will find these are commonly measured in millimeters (mm) rather than centimeters (cm). What you describe are widely available and should not present much difficulty in finding. Now the real task is deciding on which manufacturer you'd like. Check around for reviews and away you go.

    I prefer stems made by Thomson. The converter I use on my vintage racer, I like the one by Profile Design.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  18. #18
    Senior Member chi-james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My Bikes
    team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
    You will find these are commonly measured in millimeters (mm) rather than centimeters (cm). What you describe are widely available and should not present much difficulty in finding. Now the real task is deciding on which manufacturer you'd like. Check around for reviews and away you go.

    I prefer stems made by Thomson. The converter I use on my vintage racer, I like the one by Profile Design.
    so you're saying I should put in some leg work instead of relying on the lazyweb?

    I put in "nitto quill stem 10 cm extension" and all I got were links to rivbike and nashbar. Is there an online bike emporium that you frequent? I won't be able to hit up the local bicycle store till the weekend.

  19. #19
    Senior Member chi-james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My Bikes
    team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I should call around... thanks everyone for your help.

  20. #20
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cambria claims, and rightfully so, to have a good selection of the converters:

    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...at=Quill+Stems

    As does Jensen - and stems too:

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/147-Stems.aspx

    Enjoy!
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  21. #21
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-james View Post
    so you're saying I should put in some leg work instead of relying on the lazyweb?

    I put in "nitto quill stem 10 cm extension" and all I got were links to rivbike and nashbar. Is there an online bike emporium that you frequent? I won't be able to hit up the local bicycle store till the weekend.
    100mm stop referring it to cm, nobody does this.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  22. #22
    Senior Member chi-james's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My Bikes
    team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dully noted. thanks.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
    Cambria claims, and rightfully so, to have a good selection of the converters:

    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...at=Quill+Stems

    As does Jensen - and stems too:

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/147-Stems.aspx

    Enjoy!
    YES .. two of the best inventories . So much so, that it takes time looking at so many

  24. #24
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,415
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The options for quill stems these days is pretty limited so with the use of a threadless adapter the number of stem options really increases.

    I like the fork on my '99 Trek and it has a beautiful NOS DX headset so I used a 1/8 adapter and an Easton stem that matched the position I had with the old adjustable stem.

    With the adapter I also have the option to adjust my bar height which is something you cannot do as easily with a thread less set up.

    They are a great bit of hardware to have when you have to deal with 1/8 threaded parts which are not at all common.

  25. #25
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be sure to attach the stem to the manufacturer's specified torques - working slowly from one bolt to the other.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •