Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ljg
    ljg is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brampton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano 9 Speed Bar End shifter parts available?

    I've got 9 speed Shimano Bar End shifters on my LHT.

    For the last few weeks the rear shifter hasn't been indexing properly. I took a look at it, and the outer black plasic ring at the top of the shift lever was cracked, and fell off when examining it. I turns out the little indexing ring (the one where the 2 little ball bearings sit for indexing is broken in half.
    I removed both halves with some *gentle* poking with my *baby* finger.

    Anyone know if I can get this indexing ring separately?

    I would hate to have to buy new shifters for lots of $$$(they're only a year old - purchase new by me) when I could buy a few dollar part.

    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,716
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ljg View Post
    I've got 9 speed Shimano Bar End shifters on my LHT.

    For the last few weeks the rear shifter hasn't been indexing properly. I took a look at it, and the outer black plasic ring at the top of the shift lever was cracked, and fell off when examining it. I turns out the little indexing ring (the one where the 2 little ball bearings sit for indexing is broken in half.
    I removed both halves with some *gentle* poking with my *baby* finger.

    Anyone know if I can get this indexing ring separately?

    I would hate to have to buy new shifters for lots of $$$(they're only a year old - purchase new by me) when I could buy a few dollar part.

    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Nope- those parts aren't available separately. Breakage of that sort indicates that the indexing mechanism is completely hosed.

    A cheaper fix would be to substitute down-tube shifters on your existing bar-end mounts. 9-speed downtube shifters are still available if you look around:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200393921165
    This looks a little funky, but it will work perfectly. A couple pieces of advice:

    Make sure the indexing ring is positioned properly. Shimano calls it a "lever boss cover" in this PDF:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830628723.pdf . If the fat tab isn't pointing down, you'll never get the indexing adjusted at all.

    Once you've got everything installed, really tighten the center screw on the right shifter (part #1). If it's not tight enough, it'll let the "index/friction" bail move, and the indexing mechanism will fail again.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  3. #3
    Senior Member vredstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    My Bikes
    '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike
    Posts
    701
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this pdf of the 7700 shifters,
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830611817.pdf
    the tab on the lever boss cover is pointing up, not down.
    It seems nowadays, the DA 9-speed dt shifters are commanding a high price. I've seen the 9-speed selling for more than their 10-speed counterparts, so it might be worth looking into both options.
    On another note, Shimano makes both a 7800 and 7900 down tube shifters. They use non-interchangable SIS unit, lever, fixing screw and cap. Is the indexing different? Is the indexing different on the 7800 and 7900 STI levers?
    Last edited by vredstein; 10-15-09 at 12:48 AM.
    "See, it's not that getting wet is a big deal. Really, it's what you're getting wet with.
    Fenders....because it's probably urine."
    Bike Snob NYC

  4. #4
    Member gescom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    Tricross Sport
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ljg, I have some shimano 9spd DA bar ends that you can have for free, I can post them to you if you like (or just the right indexed shifter). They're a bit scratched but working fine, they've had about 2 years of use. They were from a 2003 model trek 520. PM me if you're interested!

  5. #5
    cycles per second Gonzo Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Vitus Aluminum, DiamondBack Apex, Softride Powerwing 700, "Generic" Ishiwata 022, Trek OCLV 110
    Posts
    1,790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vredstein View Post
    Shimano makes both a 7800 and 7900 down tube shifters. They use non-interchangable SIS unit, lever, fixing screw and cap. Is the indexing different? Is the indexing different on the 7800 and 7900 STI levers?
    The 7800 and 7900 rear shifters and rear derailers are compatible from everything I've seen. My understanding is that the major changes were made to the front shifting and 7800 STI is not compatible with 7900 STI for front shifting. But since DT and bar-end are friction for front, they should still be compatible.

  6. #6
    ljg
    ljg is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brampton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gescom View Post
    ljg, I have some shimano 9spd DA bar ends that you can have for free, I can post them to you if you like (or just the right indexed shifter). They're a bit scratched but working fine, they've had about 2 years of use. They were from a 2003 model trek 520. PM me if you're interested!
    I'd love to get them from you. I can't PM you (it seems to be blocked, or you've not allowed yourself to be PMed) PM me so we can chat!!!!! THANKS by the way!!!!

  7. #7
    ljg
    ljg is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brampton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
    Make sure the indexing ring is positioned properly. Shimano calls it a "lever boss cover" in this PDF:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830628723.pdf . If the fat tab isn't pointing down, you'll never get the indexing adjusted at all.

    Once you've got everything installed, really tighten the center screw on the right shifter (part #1). If it's not tight enough, it'll let the "index/friction" bail move, and the indexing mechanism will fail again.
    Thanks for the advice on setup and tightness.
    I'm thinking that the screw may have been loose at some point and caused the indexing/friction ball to move. It's the only thing that I can think of that caused the indexing ring to crack in half like that.

  8. #8
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find the shimano techdoc for it, if the spare part is available you can order direct from shimano (with the help of an LBS). Or you can troll ebay for another set for parts.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  9. #9
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,716
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vredstein View Post
    In this pdf of the 7700 shifters,
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830611817.pdf
    the tab on the lever boss cover is pointing up, not down.
    It's the same orientation relative to the cable. In both the downtube and the bar-end shifters, the shifter's lever will be pointing in the same direction as the fat tab when in the "high gear" position. You can't really get the lever boss cover oriented wrong on downtube levers- on the bar-ends, 3 of the 4 possible positions are wrong!

    BTW: "fat tab"? I have a fat tabby: http://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/...house08130.htm
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •