Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,499
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    BB swap-out, a little long on the R...

    I swapped the standard square taper double bb out of a 1987 Lemans RS (126mm rear) that I first upgraded to 8-sp drivetrain, and now have upgraded to triple.

    I used an Ultegra Octalink bb, 118mm for triple, and a new triple Tiagra crankset.
    The triple FD is RSX and the long cage RD is Sora, with Sora 3x8 STI's.

    Everything went on well, and easily, the RD is smooth. The bike rides well and shifts effortlessly on the small ring and middle ring. No matter what I set it at, I can't get the reach for the big ring.

    I've got a lot more room between the chain stays and the chain rings than on any of my other bikes.

    It seems like a step down to a double Octalink may do the trick. How about it?

    I'm using self-extracting crank arm bolts, and don't worry, I'm getting them in far enough.

    Thanks.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2011 Eddy Merckx EMX3
    2014 Wraith Hustle

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One possibility is that the shifter was not in its lowest position when the cable was attached to the FD.
    Flip the smaller front shifter several times and see if you can pull any slack out of the cable at the derailleur end. There should be no slack.
    Is the FD designed for a triple?
    Suggest that you use the instructions for setting up and adjusting a FD as found at http://www.parktool.com. Do all of the steps in sequence leaving nothing out.

    Al

  3. #3
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
    I swapped the standard square taper double bb out of a 1987 Lemans RS (126mm rear) that I first upgraded to 8-sp drivetrain, and now have upgraded to triple.

    I used an Ultegra Octalink bb, 118mm for triple, and a new triple Tiagra crankset.
    The triple FD is RSX and the long cage RD is Sora, with Sora 3x8 STI's.

    Everything went on well, and easily, the RD is smooth. The bike rides well and shifts effortlessly on the small ring and middle ring. No matter what I set it at, I can't get the reach for the big ring.

    I've got a lot more room between the chain stays and the chain rings than on any of my other bikes.

    It seems like a step down to a double Octalink may do the trick. How about it?

    I'm using self-extracting crank arm bolts, and don't worry, I'm getting them in far enough.

    Thanks.
    Have you ridden the crank like this?
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  4. #4
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,499
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943 View Post
    One possibility is that the shifter was not in its lowest position when the cable was attached to the FD.
    Flip the smaller front shifter several times and see if you can pull any slack out of the cable at the derailleur end. There should be no slack. None.
    Is the FD designed for a triple? Yes
    Suggest that you use the instructions for setting up and adjusting a FD as found at http://www.parktool.com. Do all of the steps in sequence leaving nothing out.

    Al
    The FD is set up properly, but I'll re-do it. Thanks.

    If the chain rings were about 4-6mm closer, they'd still clear the stays quite a bit and I'd reach the big ring.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2011 Eddy Merckx EMX3
    2014 Wraith Hustle

  5. #5
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,499
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Have you ridden the crank like this?
    Yep, it rides great on the small and middle ring, fluid and easy.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2011 Eddy Merckx EMX3
    2014 Wraith Hustle

  6. #6
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the chain rings were about 4-6mm closer, they'd still clear the stays quite a bit and I'd reach the big ring.
    That's not why you use a 118mm axle. It is to match the front to rear chainlines.

    Can you get the front to shift if you move the FD manually? (Be careful of your fingers when trying this.)
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  7. #7
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,499
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    That's not why you use a 118mm axle. It is to match the front to rear chainlines.

    Can you get the front to shift if you move the FD manually? (Be careful of your fingers when trying this.)
    Forgive the questions, but I'm learning, here.

    That's what I figured on the chainlines, but Tiagra and Octalink generally came on 1300mm rear bikes, correct? This is a 126, but I've squeezed an 8/9/10 rear onto it, so it's effectively 130, so the chainline should be good, I'd assume.

    Everything tells me this should work. The FD is an RSX triple. RD is a Sora long cage. Crankset is a Tiagra triple. I have a Dura Ace triple I can put on there, just to see if it's a crankset thing.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2011 Eddy Merckx EMX3
    2014 Wraith Hustle

  8. #8
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you try what I suggested?
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  9. #9
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the chainline on the crank? Measure the distance between the centre of the middle chainring to the middle of the seat-tube.

    Also test DMF's procedure, you may be off by one-click on the shifter.

  10. #10
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,499
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Why don't you try what I suggested?
    Because I won't see the bike again until Oct 31

    At that time, I'll start at zero, on the FD, see what happens, with all the suggestions...

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2011 Eddy Merckx EMX3
    2014 Wraith Hustle

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Milford CT
    Posts
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you torque the crank bolts to the shimano spec? This is hard to do. What seems tight with a normal wrench is about 1 full turn from actually being properly torqued as the crank arms "form" to the axle. I recently did a similar upgrade.

  12. #12
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,499
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwortman View Post
    Did you torque the crank bolts to the shimano spec? This is hard to do. What seems tight with a normal wrench is about 1 full turn from actually being properly torqued as the crank arms "form" to the axle. I recently did a similar upgrade.
    That's kind of my thought. I have an idea how far "in" it should be.

    What I'm going to do, next time I see it (it's sitting right now) is go through all these steps.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2011 Eddy Merckx EMX3
    2014 Wraith Hustle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •