Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    My Bikes
    Soma Doublecross DC
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which XT f. dérailleur?

    I'm building a frankenbike commuter/tourer with an XT rear dérailleur, 9-spd chain, rings and cassette. I'm running a road triple up front (26-38-50) on a Soma Doublecross DC and I'm trying to decide which fd-m77X will work best.

    Anyone else running a similar setup?

  2. #2
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the e doesn't need an accent thx
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    My Bikes
    Soma Doublecross DC
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My browser automatically does it. Thanks for the substantive contribution

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    My browser automatically does it. Thanks for the substantive contribution
    yw

    P.S If you don't tell us what shifters you're running there is no answer to this thread.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    My Bikes
    Soma Doublecross DC
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    yw

    P.S If you don't tell us what shifters you're running there is no answer to this thread.
    That would help. I'm will be running Ultegra 9-spd brifters.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Low car diet JiveTurkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR, USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    That would help. I'm will be running Ultegra 9-spd brifters.

    Thanks
    Shimano's road and MTB front shifters/derailleurs operate on a different cable pull ratio. You're better off using a road triple 9-speed FD.

    The only issue I can see is if your frame routes the FD cable from the top (top pull). There is a part you can put on to allow a cable that runs from the top to work on a bottom-pull FD (all road FDs). Edit: Here it is "'Cross Cable Clamp with Cable Pulley" in various sizes and colors: http://www.bikeman.com/Problem_Solve..._Supplies.html
    Last edited by JiveTurkey; 10-16-09 at 11:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by slopvehicle View Post
    Not wearing a helmet makes me more aware of my surroundings. I find myself anticipating the hardness of concrete 50 or 100 feet in front of me, it's almost a zen-like connection between my face and the pavement.

  7. #7
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your chainring sizes and your shifter both call out for a road front derailleur, so get an Ultegra 6603 or 6703, or a 105 5603. A lot of places are selling 6600 stuff for cheap right now because 6700 was just released to replace it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    I'm building a frankenbike commuter/tourer with an XT rear dérailleur, 9-spd chain, rings and cassette. I'm running a road triple up front (26-38-50) on a Soma Doublecross DC and I'm trying to decide which fd-m77X will work best.

    Anyone else running a similar setup?
    Ultegra 9s: FD, brifters
    XT 9s: crankset 22/32/48, cassette 11-34, RD
    http://www.dim.com/~ryoder/SomaPhotos/IMGP0014.jpg
    http://www.dim.com/~ryoder/SomaPhotos/IMGP0018.jpg
    http://www.dim.com/~ryoder/SomaPhotos/IMGP0019.jpg

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    My Bikes
    Soma Doublecross DC
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post

    Cool bike! I actually have a 5603 right now and I'm using a 10-spd setup, but plan on going back to 9. My only problem with the road f der is that I have a an XT rear hub and the chainline spec is different.

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    My only problem with the road f der is that I have a an XT rear hub and the chainline spec is different.
    The rear hub spacing shouldn't mean that you need to use an MTB FD, a road FD should have plenty of adjustability to make it work fine. A lot of stock touring bikes come set up like this. For instance, my Trek 520 has a 135mm rear hub and came with a 105 triple crankset and FD (both 5503 models), which caused no problems at all.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    My Bikes
    Soma Doublecross DC
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_W View Post
    The rear hub spacing shouldn't mean that you need to use an MTB FD, a road FD should have plenty of adjustability to make it work fine. A lot of stock touring bikes come set up like this. For instance, my Trek 520 has a 135mm rear hub and came with a 105 triple crankset and FD (both 5503 models), which caused no problems at all.
    Thanks.

    I'll mess with my adjustments some more.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,851
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a 9 speed chain, you'll want to use a 9 speed front derailler. If you don't mind going down a few levels, the newer Tiagra deraillers will work and are readily available. Otherwise, you'll be looking to eBay for an Ultegra 6503 or 105 5503 FD. The cage on a 10 speed FD is narrow enough that you'll have issues with the cage rubbing on the chain in otherwise easily usable gear combinations.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
    Otherwise, you'll be looking to eBay for an Ultegra 6503 or 105 5503 FD.
    A year ago I was collecting the parts to build that bike in the links above.
    You wouldn't believe how long it took me to find a 6503 FD.
    I finally found a NOS on eBay and had to drive the price up to darn near new MSRP to get it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •