Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    DEEP V in 27 inch

    i have an old schwinn world sport and i want to get some Deep v style wheels for it. However my wheel size for my bike is 27 inches, and i can only find deep v style rims in 700c or 650c. i know they are smaller wheels, but can i use them? or if i cant, does anyone know where i can find 27 inch wheels with deep v style rims?

  2. #2
    Senior Member sonatageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Posts
    2,732
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    700c should fit, but you will need to adjust the brake pads. i have done the swap on a few bikes without issue. If you brake calipers don't have enough adjustment, you would need to replace them too.

  3. #3
    slow as I ever was Ex Pres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    an imposter living in the 35223
    Posts
    5,777
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    72 special CNC ______ 72 Frejus (ala Legnano) _73 Holdsworth Record
    80 Ranson__________ 80 unknown French____ 83 Trek 600 (620 styled)
    85 Gianni Motta_____ 90 Miele Gara ________ 02 Casati Dardo #1
    02 Casati Dardo #2 __ 03 Casati Dardo ______ 08 BF IRO (fixed/SS)
    09 Dogma FPX magn_ 10 Vassago Fisticuff (IGH)

    For Sale: _________ 78 Raleigh Professional __ 82 Peugeot PXN10
    85 Trek 560_______ 88 Guerciotti GLX

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha thanks bob, i found those already but im looking for a solid black one without any decals on it, and the deeper they are, the better.

  5. #5
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinasuprmrkt View Post
    haha thanks bob, i found those already but im looking for a solid black one without any decals on it, and the deeper they are, the better.
    You are buying into a problem. Build a 700 c wheelset.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i could buy a 700c wheelset but its going to be hard to find the one that i like with a freewheel hub because if im not mistaken if i give into buying a new freehub, im going to have to get new deraileurs and a new catridge set, and i dont have that kind of money to put into my bike right now. Ideally i want a solid black deep v (with machined sidewalls) 700c rim with spokes that i can lace onto the existing freewheel hub that came stock with my bike. and hopefully i wont have to buy new brakes because my old wheelset is 27".

  7. #7
    me have long head tube TallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    4,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have very specific aesthetic preferences for your wheelset, it may be hard to stay with 27" rims.

    If you succeed in getting a deep-profile rim in 27" size, you'll need new and shorter spokes.

    I generally prefer to stick with 27" rims on bikes that are designed for it, and it's been plenty easy for me to do so on three of my bikes.
    But the pros and cons of making this switch (generally, apart from your aesthetic preferences) have been recently discussed in this thread, maybe worth reading over:
    bike fits 27" rims - can I modify it to fit 700c rims?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    My Bikes
    '89 66cm Cannondale 3.0, '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 JxL Cannondale R1000 Tandem, '86 Cannondale ST800 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs.
    Posts
    786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinasuprmrkt View Post
    i have an old schwinn world sport and i want to get some Deep v style wheels for it. However my wheel size for my bike is 27 inches, and i can only find deep v style rims in 700c or 650c. i know they are smaller wheels, but can i use them? or if i cant, does anyone know where i can find 27 inch wheels with deep v style rims?
    There are a variety of 27" rims available.

    Velocity alone makes the Twin Hollow Synergy, and Dyad in 27". The Synergy and Twin Hollow are not deep V style rims. The Dyad is definitely not a deep dish aero rim like the Deep V (30mm) or Chukker (32mm) as it is only 22mm deep.

    There is only an 8mm difference in bead seat diameter from a 700c (622 bsd) rim, but anything helps on big bikes and this is the biggest ISO standard rim going right now.

    The 630 tire size is overlooked. I've always felt that anyone on a frame 60cm and above should be looking for 27" frames. I have a Cannondale Touring bike, an ST800, for just this reason. When the seat tube is 73cm long you'll take anything you can get...otherwise the wheels just look like 20" kids wheels.

    There has been a lot of buzz that with the sucess of 650b, that the time is finally here for a larger sized rim.

    Clearly not everyone on a 49cm frame to a 70+ cm frame need to be on the same 700c rims...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    26,143
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The term "silk purse out of a sow's ear" comes to mind. A set of suitable wheels in what ever size you buy will cost 10X the value of your entire bike.

  10. #10
    Real Men Ride Ordinaries fuzz2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
    There are a variety of 27" rims available.

    Velocity alone makes the Twin Hollow Synergy, and Dyad in 27". The Synergy and Twin Hollow are not deep V style rims. The Dyad is definitely not a deep dish aero rim like the Deep V (30mm) or Chukker (32mm) as it is only 22mm deep.

    There is only an 8mm difference in bead seat diameter from a 700c (622 bsd) rim, but anything helps on big bikes and this is the biggest ISO standard rim going right now.

    The 630 tire size is overlooked. I've always felt that anyone on a frame 60cm and above should be looking for 27" frames. I have a Cannondale Touring bike, an ST800, for just this reason. When the seat tube is 73cm long you'll take anything you can get...otherwise the wheels just look like 20" kids wheels.

    There has been a lot of buzz that with the sucess of 650b, that the time is finally here for a larger sized rim.

    Clearly not everyone on a 49cm frame to a 70+ cm frame need to be on the same 700c rims...
    As a tall bike rider myself, I have often found frames to look just a little unbalanced with a giant seat tube and a (comparatively) tiny wheel. However, wheel size isn't selected to match frame aesthetics, rather it's chosen for some functional reason. Larger wheels are going to be weaker, heavier and not really accomplish anything all too useful.

    Furthermore, I don't know if the 8mm difference is rim diameter really accounts for anything. Especially considering the lack of wider 27 tires. My current 700c wheels have a larger diameter than most 27 wheels, simply on account of 35mm tires

    They do look cool, Black Sheep Bikes built a 36er

  11. #11
    holyrollin' FlatTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer(hot rod 3 sp.), noname cantilever frame 1 sp., Peugeot U-O8, Kia 10 sp., soon-to-be-custom Sears Free Spirit 3sp.(project), department store mountain bike 21 sp.
    Posts
    1,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz2050 View Post
    ...Furthermore, I don't know if the 8mm difference is rim diameter really accounts for anything. Especially considering the lack of wider 27 tires. My current 700c wheels have a larger diameter than most 27 wheels, simply on account of 35mm tires

    They do look cool, Black Sheep Bikes built a 36er

    The 36" wheeled bike looks fantastic, so much better than the Coker rendition. This one is like a draisine with modern drivetrain and disc brakes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •