Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-09, 06:21 PM   #1
lukeee
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West coast Florida
Bikes: Giant
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replacing bottom bracket question

Hi. I've got a Giant Cypress DX hybrid. The bottom bracket is getting noisy (1000 miles).
Can I identify this part without removing it. I ask this because I want to compare buying the spline wrench and bracket and replacing it myself versus taking it to a shop. It's not that I'm a cheap sob (well maybe a little), I just always have taken pride in fixing things myself.
lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 07:01 PM   #2
082
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im also having the same issue. Bottom bracket wiggles. Im trying to aviod dessasembling my bike just to pull it out and see what size it is.
082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 07:09 PM   #3
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't get it.

You have to pull the unit before you replace it anyways...? At minimum you'll need to pull the cranks to verify spindle length.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 07:10 PM   #4
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 082 View Post
Im also having the same issue. Bottom bracket wiggles. Im trying to aviod dessasembling my bike just to pull it out and see what size it is.
Th is is unanswerable without minimum name of bike.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 07:17 PM   #5
082
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mongoose A50r (A-Series) Bottom bracket is one of the few remaining "Stock" parts. Last to upgrade.

I believe I am the only one in the world that uses this frame still.
082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 07:22 PM   #6
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 082 View Post
Mongoose A50r (A-Series) Bottom bracket is one of the few remaining "Stock" parts. Last to upgrade.

I believe I am the only one in the world that uses this frame still.
Honestly, the easiest way would be to pull it and measure. Or you can start looking up your crank model and the spec'ed bb length, information that is unlikely to be available for such a bike.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 09:00 PM   #7
lukeee
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West coast Florida
Bikes: Giant
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm trying to get an approximate idea of what I would have to pay for the cartridge AND the tools compared to having a shop do the work.
I stated the bike is a Giant Cypress DX
lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 09:18 PM   #8
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeee View Post
I'm sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm trying to get an approximate idea of what I would have to pay for the cartridge AND the tools compared to having a shop do the work.
I stated the bike is a Giant Cypress DX
Parts cost is about $25-$35 for a UN5x squaer taper cartridge - which most shops will stock. Labour will be $20-$30. Approximately. If it's seized then substitute an hourly rate of about $60/hour

To do this yourself, it's the same parts cost. BB tool will be $10-$20. Crank puller $10-$15. Add the cost of whatever crank retention system is in place. Either a 8mm hex or a 14mm nut.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 10:11 PM   #9
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Posts: 9,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never heard of a bottom bracket wearing out in 1000 miles, not even a cheap one.

Al
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 10:24 PM   #10
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1943 View Post
I've never heard of a bottom bracket wearing out in 1000 miles, not even a cheap one.

Al
You haven't seen cheap ones then. YST. Shimano UN2x. Chin haur and any oem bb on a low end bike pretty much.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 11:01 PM   #11
mtnbke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeee View Post
I'm sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm trying to get an approximate idea of what I would have to pay for the cartridge AND the tools compared to having a shop do the work.
I stated the bike is a Giant Cypress DX
According to your first post you take pride in fixing things yourself.

Apparently that doesn't apply to doing things yourself. You're asking people here to give you a more or less detailed quote without giving them the information and parameters needed to answer your questions. C'mon, you can find that information out yourself. It doesn't matter exactly what your spindle length is, at least not to determine the dollar cost of the replacement part and tool.

However, I'm going to tell you that if you really do like working on things yourself, spending some money on a BB tool and upgrading your BB yourself is definitely worth it compared to paying someone to do it. You can't measure the value of doing it yourself in dollars.

Get a good repair book (Park Blue book) as well.
mtnbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 06:56 PM   #12
wrk101
DRF aka Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The NC Mountains
Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
Posts: 19,974
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
According to your first post you take pride in fixing things yourself.

Apparently that doesn't apply to doing things yourself. You're asking people here to give you a more or less detailed quote without giving them the information and parameters needed to answer your questions. C'mon, you can find that information out yourself. It doesn't matter exactly what your spindle length is, at least not to determine the dollar cost of the replacement part and tool.

However, I'm going to tell you that if you really do like working on things yourself, spending some money on a BB tool and upgrading your BB yourself is definitely worth it compared to paying someone to do it. You can't measure the value of doing it yourself in dollars.

Get a good repair book (Park Blue book) as well.
+1 If you like doing the work yourself, then the tools will be well worth it. If its a one time project, a shop is your cheapest option.

And if you are real thrifty, Shimano makes a UN26 series of cartridge bb, which can be bought on line for around $10.
wrk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 07:32 PM   #13
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
If it's a loose ball BB, you might be able to put in new ball bearings, grease & go ride.
The noise might be the ball retainer coming apart.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike
Homebrew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 AM.