Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member breadbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West of Ireland
    My Bikes
    Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax
    Posts
    601
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    apart from wear and tear is there any other cause of chain slipping?

    I had a single speed on my mtb but found it to be too hard on my knees so i redid the wheel on a Deore hub with an XTR 9spd cassette, XT 9 speed rear mech and SRAM 9 spd chain.when i was setting it up they worked perfectly and changed gear perfectly smooth but when i put pressure on the pedals the chain slips really badly. i did play around with the barrel adjusters but the problem is still there. are them components ok together? the cassette looks perfect and the chain is brand new so don't know why it is happening
    Odo=432
    Raleigh 531c
    Peugeot PGN-10
    Marin MTB
    Brodie Romax
    Pastey Howler
    http://www.flickr.com/evildiesel

  2. #2
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The derailer hanger could be bent. The B Limit could be set wrong. The indexing could be out. The low limit could be set wrong. Cables could be bad or incorrectly tensioned. That's just a few

    Does it slip in all the gears or just a couple?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    My Bikes
    Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
    Posts
    4,987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the chain skips on just a few cogs, then those are probably your most-used cogs and they are worn out. Chain skip is when the chain stays on the intended cog, but won't transmit power. If the chains move to a larger or smaller cog, that's entirely different and could be either the RD alignament or simply the need to adjust the shift cable tension.

    The best way to test for a worn out cassette is to put a new chain on it. If you had a chain with even a few hundred miles of use on it, that chain would probably work just fine on the cassette.

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    The derailer hanger could be bent. The B Limit could be set wrong. The indexing could be out. The low limit could be set wrong. Cables could be bad or incorrectly tensioned. That's just a few

    Does it slip in all the gears or just a couple?
    No

    The most likely cause is a worn cassette having a new chain thrown on it. If that cassette is not new, or extremely close to being new it will skip.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by breadbin View Post
    the cassette looks perfect and the chain is brand new so don't know why it is happening
    Unlike Operator who looks to have had one too many hits off the grounch bong today, I'll give the OP credit that he may actually know what he's looking at. I'd advise taking a good look at the Park Tools site and Sheldons, and stepping through from the beginning on the adjustments keeping a fresh mind that maybe just maybe something is just not quite adjusted right. I've seen something as simple as a not quite tight rear skewer cause similar issues without always arbitrarily condemning a part "just because"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    My Bikes
    Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
    Posts
    4,987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CCrew...

    The real issue is that the OP did not adequately describe his problem, but a chain slipping badly under a heavy load sure sounds like chain skip to me. Chain skip and poor RD adjustment do not exhibit the same symptoms. True chain skip never occurs due to an adjustment problem.

  7. #7
    Senior Member exRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    Panasonic 500
    Posts
    750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My chain will skip if it am on the 53/25 combo standing hard. Setting it does not do it. I have always assumed it is the chain line being so far off that causes it.

    Save the the "cross-chaining" remarks. Already been through that argument.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    My Bikes
    Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
    Posts
    4,987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exRunner View Post
    My chain will skip if it am on the 53/25 combo standing hard. Setting it does not do it. I have always assumed it is the chain line being so far off that causes it.

    Save the the "cross-chaining" remarks. Already been through that argument.

    I guess there is no argument. Now you've acknowledged another reason it's not wise.

  9. #9
    Bikaholic blamp28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those components are fine together. Since you say the cassette "looks fine" and the chain is brand new, I assume you are using a used cassette. This is , I believe what operator was getting at. Look for photos on Part or Sheldons site that picture new chain with worn cassettes and you may recognize your bike. It sounds like you need to try a new cassette. If that is not it, you will have a replacement ready for the next worn cassette anyway.
    Trek Fuel XC MTB, Giant OCR Road Bike, Rans Screamer - Tandem

  10. #10
    The spirit is willing... engo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    My Bikes
    1994 Marinoni Special, 1985 Panasonic Touring Deluxe, 1934 Macleans Featherweight, 1984 Bertrand, 2011 self-built custom
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this problem once, and it turned out that one cog on the cassette was cracked radially, and when put under load, skipped. I didn't see the crack until I actually dismantled the cassette and examined the cogs closely. The skipping also haunted my GF for a while, and although the cassette on her bike looked good, it actually had just enough wear on one or two cogs to cause the problem.

    I also had issues once when the removable link in my campy chain (Whipperman Connex link) was installed upside down, though that was less a "skip" than a "slip".

    Hope you resolve the issue. The chain skip is probably one of the most annoying things I've ever had to deal with (in a cycling context).

  11. #11
    Senior Member exRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    Panasonic 500
    Posts
    750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
    I guess there is no argument. Now you've acknowledged another reason it's not wise.
    Just couldn't resist, could you?

    Cross chain and try to make your chain skip. My guess is most people can't, so for the majority it still isn't an issue.

  12. #12
    Steel Member fiataccompli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    N + 1
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could a tight link on the chain cause the skip/slip?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,443
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fiataccompli View Post
    could a tight link on the chain cause the skip/slip?
    Yes.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  14. #14
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exRunner View Post
    My chain will skip if it am on the 53/25 combo standing hard. Setting it does not do it. I have always assumed it is the chain line being so far off that causes it.

    Save the the "cross-chaining" remarks. Already been through that argument.
    Rofl.

    Nobody, on any of the bikes we sell that are 9/10/11 speed have people skipping on cross chain combos. Every gear combo that can be shifted into, can be used. You have a chainline problem that needs to be fixed - good for you. That has no relevance to this situation.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  15. #15
    Genius FlatMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    My Bikes
    Specilized Sirrus
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    broken free-hub pawls. Just replaced mine. The bike is about 20 yrs old though.
    Ride or Die

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    My Bikes
    Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
    Posts
    4,987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Rofl.

    Nobody, on any of the bikes we sell that are 9/10/11 speed have people skipping on cross chain combos. Every gear combo that can be shifted into, can be used. You have a chainline problem that needs to be fixed - good for you. That has no relevance to this situation.
    You should really try an 11 speed drivetrain running in the 53/25 (largest cog) on a bike with chainstays of 406mm or shorter. Poor idea, IMO. I never do it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't want premature chain failure. If that's what you recommend to your customers, they'd be wise to avoid your shop.

    Chainline problems are really rare these days. Frames are made more accurately and the outboard bearing crank usually put the rings spot on the proper location.
    Last edited by DaveSSS; 11-23-09 at 04:25 PM.

  17. #17
    Mitcholo CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
    My Bikes
    2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red
    Posts
    8,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatMaster View Post
    broken free-hub pawls. Just replaced mine. The bike is about 20 yrs old though.
    I had that happen to a 1.5 year old Fulcrum Racing Evo 5.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •