Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Shifting issues

  1. #1
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shifting issues

    im having some shifting issues on my bike.
    its an 07 gmc XL road bike and the problem is when i try to shift to 1st 2nd or 3rd gear, the component moves but the chain remains on the same gear. i have to manually move the chain to the correct gear every time. its equipped with shimano revo-shifts if that helps. is there something i can do? or will i need to take it in a shop?im sorry i dont have picture but will be happy to clarify anything
    thanks for the help

  2. #2
    just pokin' along desertdork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the desert
    Posts
    1,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to the front chainrings?...or the three smallest cogs in back?...or???

  3. #3
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desertdork View Post
    Are you referring to the front chainrings?...or the three smallest cogs in back?...or???
    the front chainrings sorry i didnt say that earlier

  4. #4
    Senior Member bigvegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrizzleDizzle6 View Post
    the front chainrings sorry i didnt say that earlier
    Here is a selection of links/videos that may help:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...q=f&oq=&aqi=g9

    If you can fix this yourself by adjusting the barrel screws / limit screws / cable tension, go for it, or if there's a bike co-op near you that can help you out, that would be awesome.

    This should not be too hard with a little time and some SMALL corrections. (Especially if you read this first - http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html)

    If you do think about bringing it to the shop, call first for a quote. If they can sort it out for $15 or so, great, but if it needs a full tune-up, you might consider selling it on craigslist and buying an older, higher quality road bike for the cost of your bike plus a tuneup. (I'm the last guy to get into bike snobbery, but a 29lb aluminum road bike with 2nd rate components is not generally a recipe for happy riding, especially when there are other options available.)

  5. #5
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvegan View Post
    Here is a selection of links/videos that may help:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...q=f&oq=&aqi=g9

    If you can fix this yourself by adjusting the barrel screws / limit screws / cable tension, go for it, or if there's a bike co-op near you that can help you out, that would be awesome.

    This should not be too hard with a little time and some SMALL corrections. (Especially if you read this first - http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html)

    If you do think about bringing it to the shop, call first for a quote. If they can sort it out for $15 or so, great, but if it needs a full tune-up, you might consider selling it on craigslist and buying an older, higher quality road bike for the cost of your bike plus a tuneup. (I'm the last guy to get into bike snobbery, but a 29lb aluminum road bike with 2nd rate components is not generally a recipe for happy riding, especially when there are other options available.)
    thanks for the links ill for sure try it out
    and i'am looking for a new bike but until then i want to fix this one up and i think its fun to ride. i've ridden 15O miles on it so far and its a pretty good bike.
    like you im not a bike snob and what not. the simplest things work for me. what do you think? waste of money?

  6. #6
    just pokin' along desertdork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the desert
    Posts
    1,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say "the component moves but the chain remains on the same gear," are you saying that the front derailleur moves normally when you operate the shifter? I'm trying to imagine how this would even be possible (not doubting your words, though). A front derailleur is such a simple mechanism. Sure, it's normal to have rough shifting or even noisy shifting if the derailleur is out of adjustment; however, as long as the derailleur is able to move across the chainrings, it should still shift the chain.

    How long has this been an issue? Did the problem slowly develop, or did it happen suddenly? Do you believe a fall or impact may have caused this?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrizzleDizzle6 View Post
    the front chainrings sorry i didnt say that earlier
    Try parktool.com. Go to the section about installing and adjusting front derailleurs.

    Disconnect the cable and start as if you were installing the derailleur for the very first time. Don't assume that it's angled correctly on the seat tube because there's a good chaice that's the source of your problem. Follow all of the steps in order because the sequence is important.

  8. #8
    Old Fogy
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    1,224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be missing some posts. I didn't see the one saying it was a 29 lbs bike, nor anything about the components.

  9. #9
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
    I must be missing some posts. I didn't see the one saying it was a 29 lbs bike, nor anything about the components.
    He just stated that it was best to learn since the cost of an LBS tuneup would probably exceed the value of the bike. He's pretty close to correct if not spot on.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desertdork View Post
    When you say "the component moves but the chain remains on the same gear," are you saying that the front derailleur moves normally when you operate the shifter? I'm trying to imagine how this would even be possible (not doubting your words, though). A front derailleur is such a simple mechanism. Sure, it's normal to have rough shifting or even noisy shifting if the derailleur is out of adjustment; however, as long as the derailleur is able to move across the chainrings, it should still shift the chain.

    How long has this been an issue? Did the problem slowly develop, or did it happen suddenly? Do you believe a fall or impact may have caused this?
    i know the derailluer moves but doesnt move the chain to the selected gears.
    my wording is terrible i apologize. this just started a few days ago and i have had this bike for 6 months now. for the whole time i had it, it never fell or suffered a huge impact. thanks again for your help and patience.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Klein
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the derailleur worked when it was new and has recently stopped working, it suggests that the derailleur is not moving far enough to move the chain to the other chainwheels. That might be because the cable has stretched. Or it might be because the bolt that clamps the cable at the derailleur has loosened and the cable actually slips through the clamp. There could be other problems, too.

  12. #12
    Senior Member thesmoothdome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    '10 BMC Pro Machine, 02 Fisher Sugar 2+
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    If the derailleur worked when it was new and has recently stopped working, it suggests that the derailleur is not moving far enough to move the chain to the other chainwheels. That might be because the cable has stretched. Or it might be because the bolt that clamps the cable at the derailleur has loosened and the cable actually slips through the clamp. There could be other problems, too.
    Cable stretch is normal around 100-200 miles. A quick adjustment of the front derailleur might be all you need.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Klein
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmoothdome View Post
    Cable stretch is normal around 100-200 miles. A quick adjustment of the front derailleur might be all you need.
    Sort of fits, doesn't it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmoothdome View Post
    Cable stretch is normal around 100-200 miles. A quick adjustment of the front derailleur might be all you need.
    im looking at the bike and the cable is definitely stretched. i did not even notice that..my bad!
    so i just need to adjust the front derailuer?

  15. #15
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,778
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrizzleDizzle6 View Post
    im looking at the bike and the cable is definitely stretched. i did not even notice that..my bad!
    so i just need to adjust the front derailuer?
    Yes. Here's a link to Park Tools article that will give you all the steps you need:
    http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75
    However, it sounds like all you need to do is loosen the cable clamp on the derailleur, pull out the slack, and then tighten the bolt.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  16. #16
    spathfinder34089 spathfinder3408's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    My Bikes
    fuji s12s, Schwiin Le Tour, Puegot mtn. bike, Hiawatha crusier
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it doesn't move far enough. If you can turn the bike upside down and shift the derailer it should line up directly under gear. If it doesn't then you either have to take slack out of cable till they line up. the cable shoud have no slack when its in the lowest gear. If there is undo the nut that holds the cable on the front derailer and pull tighter with a pair of pliers till all slack is gone. Now try shifting thru gears again . Hopefully this fixed it. There are two adjustment screws on front derailer that will fine tune where the derailer stops for the lowest gear and one for the highest. IF this still doesn't work you will have to go to shop for final adjustment. It shouldn't be that hard, pretty simple to do if your mechanically inclined. Good Luck

  17. #17
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
    Yes. Here's a link to Park Tools article that will give you all the steps you need:
    http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75
    However, it sounds like all you need to do is loosen the cable clamp on the derailleur, pull out the slack, and then tighten the bolt.
    thanks for the link!

  18. #18
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and to everyone else thanks for the info, advice, and links
    much appreciated!

  19. #19
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably too late, but New Posters - please READ THIS.
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  20. #20
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i fixed and tightened the cable and it shifts like a dream now!
    thanks for all the help guys!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •