Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    48cm gitane reynolds 501 road bike; 1992 specialized rockhopper with slicks
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    bottom bracket tool?

    So of course there are a million bottom bracket tools. Does anyone have access to a chart that says clearly what type is needed for which bottom bracket?

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a lot simpler than you are making it out to be. Aside from a few oddball designs, there are really only three types of bottom bracket tools for adjustable cup and cone, square taper/ISIS/Octalink, and external. What do you have?

  3. #3
    Bike addict, dreamer AdamDZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc trucker (DIY), Fuji Reveal 1.0 (DIY MTB), Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/1599/115/

    Don't miss the second page.

    A.

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
    http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/1599/115/

    Don't miss the second page.

    A.
    That page says nothing about what BB tool you use with each BB listed.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct answer: Hammer and a 2x4.

    edit: I kid, I kid.

  6. #6
    I eat carbide. Psimet2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Current sponsors - Giant and Specialized
    Posts
    19,290
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rustmyrtle View Post
    So of course there are a million bottom bracket tools. Does anyone have access to a chart that says clearly what type is needed for which bottom bracket?

    thanks!
    It's pretty simple actually. You just need the one that fits the BB you are trying to remove.

    .....that right there was my impression of a consultant.

  7. #7
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what else could you (or the consultant) answer? The OP provided zero information.
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  8. #8
    Bike addict, dreamer AdamDZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc trucker (DIY), Fuji Reveal 1.0 (DIY MTB), Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    That page says nothing about what BB tool you use with each BB listed.
    So why don't you provide a better link?

    It allows you to identify the bottom bracket. Then you get a tool for that bottom bracket. If your BB is Octalink then you get the Octalink tool, if your BB is ISIS then youo get ISIS tool, etc.

    A.

  9. #9
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posting some pictures here would help to clarify what you will be needing.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  10. #10
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
    So why don't you provide a better link?

    It allows you to identify the bottom bracket. Then you get a tool for that bottom bracket. If your BB is Octalink then you get the Octalink tool, if your BB is ISIS then youo get ISIS tool, etc.

    A.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/byreg...ageField2.y=10

    Kthx
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  11. #11
    Senior Member m4ximusprim3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9-4
    Posts
    381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, I'm having similar problems. I have lots of different types of screws, and was trying to find a handy chart that would tell me what screwdriver I needed for this one screw that I'm trying to use.

    Has anyone seen a chart like that?
    2010 CAAD 9-4/ 2010 Masi Speciale Fixed / 2009 KHS Solo-One

  12. #12
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,057
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
    http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/1599/115/

    Don't miss the second page.

    A.

    I do not see any reference to a fixed cup tool, lockring ring tools or adjusting cup spanners
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  13. #13
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,057
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    check out the park tool page also post a pic or two of your BB here. are we talking about new external bearing BBs, cartridge style, or Vintage cup and axle type?
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  14. #14
    DOS
    DOS is offline
    Senior Member DOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA USA
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Park Tool bike maintenance book has a chart with pictures and everything.
    My Opinions > My Knowledge

  15. #15
    Senior Member Chombi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,291
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same question. I'm about to do a final installation on a Stronglight sealed bearing BB with lockrings on both sides on my bike and I'm not quite sure what BB lockring spanner will fit the two locklrings on it. I've seen all different versions of BB lockring tools both with square teeth and half round teeth that will fit on the BB lockrings, some of them open hook type spanners and some of them closed circle ended. Are the half round ones supposed to also work with BB lockrings with the square notches. I'm asking this because I don't seem to remember ever seeing BB lockrings with half rounded notches on them, are the half rounded teeth suppose to sit on the edges of the square notches on the lockrings??...........I guess I might just have to take the lockrings to my LBS to see what fits best....Anyway, I want to get a closed ring spanner instead of trying to use the open ended hook type one I bought and which also bunged up my Shimano DA lockring this fall when I used it to remove it........

    Chombi
    84 Peugeot PSV
    85(?) Vitus Plus Carbone 7

  16. #16
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chombi View Post
    I have the same question. I'm about to do a final installation on a Stronglight sealed bearing BB with lockrings on both sides on my bike and I'm not quite sure what BB lockring spanner will fit the two locklrings on it. I've seen all different versions of BB lockring tools both with square teeth and half round teeth that will fit on the BB lockrings, some of them open hook type spanners and some of them closed circle ended. Are the half round ones supposed to also work with BB lockrings with the square notches. I'm asking this because I don't seem to remember ever seeing BB lockrings with half rounded notches on them, are the half rounded teeth suppose to sit on the edges of the square notches on the lockrings??...........I guess I might just have to take the lockrings to my LBS to see what fits best....Anyway, I want to get a closed ring spanner instead of trying to use the open ended hook type one I bought and which also bunged up my Shimano DA lockring this fall when I used it to remove it........

    Chombi
    84 Peugeot PSV
    85(?) Vitus Plus Carbone 7
    If they are semi-circular and there are 6 of them, you need the campy stle BB tool.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    48cm gitane reynolds 501 road bike; 1992 specialized rockhopper with slicks
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, between my husband and me, we have all of the above.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rustmyrtle View Post
    Well, between my husband and me, we have all of the above.
    Then just buy every tool available and you'll be set

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    48cm gitane reynolds 501 road bike; 1992 specialized rockhopper with slicks
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    precisely what I was trying to avoid--or is there a minimum? can you buy three tools and be able to take everything off. We unfortunately have 2 old french bikes, and everything on them seems to be wrong.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,476
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
    It allows you to identify the bottom bracket. Then you get a tool for that bottom bracket. If your BB is Octalink then you get the Octalink tool, if your BB is ISIS then youo get ISIS tool, etc.
    For road bikes, Octalink, ISIS and Shimano's cartridge square taper bottom brackets the same tool (Park's BBT-22 or BBT-32)

    External cup bottom brackets (most all Shimano Hollowtech II, SRAM, Campy, FSA, etc.) use Park's BBT-19 or BBT-9

    Campy's lower line cartridge bb's use Park's BBT-4

    Campy's higher line cartridge bottom brackets (Centaur and up) use Park's BBT-5 which also fits Campy cassette lockrings.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    48cm gitane reynolds 501 road bike; 1992 specialized rockhopper with slicks
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot.

    What about the lock rings on older BBs, that have notches on the outside?

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    For road bikes, Octalink, ISIS and Shimano's cartridge square taper bottom brackets the same tool (Park's BBT-22 or BBT-32)
    Some ISIS bottom brackets (Truvativ mainly) use a different tool than the standard internal spline tool as Hillrider notes. I recommend the Truvativ tool (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=215) over the Park BBT-18 as the Truvativ tool allows the use of a 1/2" drive ratchet or torque wrench whereas the bizarre octagon drive on the Park tool only allows using a large adjustable wrench (unless you happen to own the oddball size they made this tool across the flats).

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rustmyrtle View Post
    Thanks a lot.

    What about the lock rings on older BBs, that have notches on the outside?
    I bought this tool (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...4&category=215) and ground off every other notch leaving only three. It now works on both 3 and 6 notch lockrings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •