Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-10, 08:40 AM   #1
mcyak
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phil Wood Bearings for the FSA Megaexo BB?

The subject was broached duging a visit to my LBS yesterday.
The drag on the oem Team Issue FSA Megaexo all but negates the positive effects of the CF Frame and stibb bottom end.
Apparently this drag issue affects Ultegra and Dura Ace BB as well.
The suggestion -if I didn't want to pay out big bucks for a ceramic bearing megaexo BB-was to have Phil Woods bearings installed in place of the origionals.
Anyone else have this done?
If so, your feedback please .
I'm definitely not putting up with the drag again this season. The question is: will the simple LBS installed PW bearings do the trick or is a entire new ceramic bearing BB the better long term option.
(I'd like to have this done once vs having it done till we get it right)
mcyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 11:36 AM   #2
bikinfool
I have senior moments...
 
bikinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, CA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 2,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did install some Phil bearings into my Shimano cups on an M770 crank, but it didn't change the drag noticeably (but on the other hand I wasn't expecting it to change much nor do I care as that degree of drag is meaningless). I have heard the Hope bearings allow more freely spinning cranks while you're watching it in the stand, though.
bikinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 11:47 AM   #3
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyak View Post
The subject was broached duging a visit to my LBS yesterday.
The drag on the oem Team Issue FSA Megaexo all but negates the positive effects of the CF Frame and stibb bottom end.
Apparently this drag issue affects Ultegra and Dura Ace BB as well.
The suggestion -if I didn't want to pay out big bucks for a ceramic bearing megaexo BB-was to have Phil Woods bearings installed in place of the origionals.
Anyone else have this done?
If so, your feedback please .
I'm definitely not putting up with the drag again this season. The question is: will the simple LBS installed PW bearings do the trick or is a entire new ceramic bearing BB the better long term option.
(I'd like to have this done once vs having it done till we get it right)
If you're looking for low beaering drag, phil wood bearings are not it. They are very well sealed against the elements = slow. Which is not what you want The megaexo bb is shyte no doubt. Even upgrading to ceramic only marginally improves the "spinniness". I know, I ride one. It will never approach say, a seal removed BB-7700 in those terms or hell even a $5 cup/cone square taper well adjusted and greased.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 08:08 PM   #4
DSchlichting
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I installed a Chris King bearing set on my Team Issue Mega Exo last summer. No noticeable difference versus the original FSA bearing set.
But to throw something in from left field: is the issue really bearing drag or preload?
DSchlichting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 08:12 PM   #5
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,949
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
If this is what you feel by hand you are making much ado about nothing. Your legs or performance won't know the difference.
davidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 10:23 PM   #6
mcyak
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beg to differ on the legs won't know the difference.
At 67 and doing rides of 40-100 miles I find there's a huge difference between the effort used up with the fsa and that on my 91 paramounts SH24 sealed bearing bb. I put in several years back.

However; it appears -from the limited input here-the <$100 cost for the phil wood replacement probably isn't the way to go (despite what the LBS said)
mcyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 10:26 PM   #7
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyak View Post
Beg to differ on the legs won't know the difference.
At 67 and doing rides of 40-100 miles I find there's a huge difference between the effort used up with the fsa and that on my 91 paramounts SH24 sealed bearing bb. I put in several years back.
+1

A discering rider WILL be able to tell the difference between say a well adjusted loose ball BB and a crappy new external bottom bracket.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 10:37 PM   #8
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the OP is experiencing very high drag, he might consider getting the BB on his frame "faced" if possible. THis can sometimes alleviate high-drag bottom brackets.
LarDasse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 10:42 PM   #9
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
If the OP is experiencing very high drag, he might consider getting the BB on his frame "faced" if possible. THis can sometimes alleviate high-drag bottom brackets.
Hmm. That sort of doesn't make sense to me, explain. If BB facing is an issue the OP would be getting variable drag through the rotation. I don't see how facing the BB at the low end of the acceptable variation helps.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 10:58 PM   #10
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry - I can't find anywhere in the OP's posts where 'variable drag through the rotation' is mentioned... must be my ADD acting up.

Edit:

OH! I misread your post, not his

THe reason is that misaligned bearings will have higher drag throughout the rotation than properly aligned bearings.

Last edited by LarDasse74; 02-16-10 at 11:01 PM.
LarDasse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 PM.