Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-04, 09:14 AM   #1
*new*guy
ambassador of good will
Thread Starter
 
*new*guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NOVA
Bikes: many.
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1976 benotto bottom bracket options?

I purchased a '76 benotto, and have been disassembling it to ready the frame for cleaning and possibly painting. It has cottered cranks, one of which seems to be stripped or otherwise messed up in the channel the cotter runs thru.

I am new to Italian (via Mexico) bikes, and particulary to bikes of this era. Would I be best served by replacing the bottom bracket/cranks/etc. (can I use a modern sealed BB?), or are there options that would allow me to use the existing BB, with more modern cranks/ring. This bike will be an addition to my fixed gear fleet, but will most likely not see alot of abuse... that's what my commuters are for.

Thanks for your input. Searching specific to benotto's didn't give me any leads.
*new*guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 09:21 AM   #2
FXjohn
Banned.
 
FXjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NE Indiana
Bikes:
Posts: 12,903
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *new*guy
I purchased a '76 benotto, and have been disassembling it to ready the frame for cleaning and possibly painting. It has cottered cranks, one of which seems to be stripped or otherwise messed up in the channel the cotter runs thru.

I am new to Italian (via Mexico) bikes, and particulary to bikes of this era. Would I be best served by replacing the bottom bracket/cranks/etc. (can I use a modern sealed BB?), or are there options that would allow me to use the existing BB, with more modern cranks/ring. This bike will be an addition to my fixed gear fleet, but will most likely not see alot of abuse... that's what my commuters are for.

Thanks for your input. Searching specific to benotto's didn't give me any leads.
I have a benotto, but I thought it was "french" made in Mexico?
Putting new parts on is always good.
Do you have a picture of the "messed up" part?
The pedals have a strange thread pitch, I retapped mine to 9/16
FXjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 09:29 AM   #3
*new*guy
ambassador of good will
Thread Starter
 
*new*guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NOVA
Bikes: many.
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXjohn
I have a benotto, but I thought it was "french" made in Mexico?
Putting new parts on is always good.
Do you have a picture of the "messed up" part?
The pedals have a strange thread pitch, I retapped mine to 9/16
nah... Mine's got a headbadge on it that says Tirreno (sp?), and that's in Italy. The cotter on the non drive side is sloppy, as tho things inside the channel in the crank arm are stripped/rounded out. I don't want to destroy the old parts, but I don't want to ride on them either.
*new*guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 09:33 AM   #4
FXjohn
Banned.
 
FXjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NE Indiana
Bikes:
Posts: 12,903
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
I tightened mine up once because it was getting sloppy.
Are you sure it's that bad?
I'd read a little on www.sheldonbrown.com on this, as far as fixing it.
Wouldn't be surprised if he could get you the parts as well.
FXjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 11:12 AM   #5
Don Cook
Senior Member
 
Don Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Memphis TN
Bikes: Raleigh, Benotto, Schwinn, Trek
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Benotto's from the pre 90's period are all Italian. The Italian company went out of business or Guido Benotto retired. The name usage rights were sold to a Mexico compnay. I've replaced my Benotto BB with a DuraAce 70mm. Works great!
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 11:30 AM   #6
FXjohn
Banned.
 
FXjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NE Indiana
Bikes:
Posts: 12,903
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cook
Benotto's from the pre 90's period are all Italian. The Italian company went out of business or Guido Benotto retired. The name usage rights were sold to a Mexico compnay. I've replaced my Benotto BB with a DuraAce 70mm. Works great!

Good info, I love my old Benotto
FXjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 12:23 PM   #7
*new*guy
ambassador of good will
Thread Starter
 
*new*guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NOVA
Bikes: many.
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXjohn
I tightened mine up once because it was getting sloppy.
Are you sure it's that bad?
I'd read a little on www.sheldonbrown.com on this, as far as fixing it.
Wouldn't be surprised if he could get you the parts as well.
sweet I was wondering if a 70mm cartridge would work. thanks much
*new*guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 11:43 AM   #8
derogis
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Benotto, Gardin, Peugeot PX10
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm a benotto owner too. If your frame is 1976 have been build in Italy (as mine)
On my side I bought only the frame and rebuild the bike with new old stock or used parts. For the BB I got a 70 mm Italian thread Ofmega, and for the crank a second
hand (but in great condition) Benotto/Campagnolo, At this time I've riden 2000 km
with no problem. You probably award that you can find a huge amount of hard to find
part on ebay. Good luck.

Philippe
derogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 12:39 PM   #9
*new*guy
ambassador of good will
Thread Starter
 
*new*guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NOVA
Bikes: many.
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thank you, philippe

I've got the bike fully stripped now, and will be building it up tonight with some old campy stuff I have laying around. It was really satisfying to feel the weight shedding off that frame as I stripped it...
*new*guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 AM.