Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    post too small..is that OK?

    Hiya, I just got a seatpost that ended up being .2mm smaller than what I should've got. I don't really want to go through the trouble of returning it as it was special ordered and I'd have to wait all over again. Is a .2 millimeter a big difference? Is it OK just to keep riding on the post, or will it do some kind of damage or something?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ebbtide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
    Posts
    4,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Ended up" as in you measured it, or its the wrong size post?

    Yes, that is a big problem that can ruin your frame. Get a shim from your LBS, or the correct size post.

  3. #3
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .0078" is pretty darn small like less than the thickness of 3 sheets of paper.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's the wrong size post. Just curious -- how does it ruin the frame? Does it just squeeze the downtube too much? I'll definitely take it back to the shop and see what their policy is. Thanx.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ebbtide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
    Posts
    4,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by venga!
    No, it's the wrong size post. Just curious -- how does it ruin the frame? Does it just squeeze the downtube too much? I'll definitely take it back to the shop and see what their policy is. Thanx.
    Yes, it can squeez the seat tube too much. You might hold off until some seasoned pro's weigh in on this before you take it back.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Tom Pedale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,
    Posts
    537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by venga!
    Hiya, I just got a seatpost that ended up being .2mm smaller than what I should've got. I don't really want to go through the trouble of returning it as it was special ordered and I'd have to wait all over again. Is a .2 millimeter a big difference? Is it OK just to keep riding on the post, or will it do some kind of damage or something?
    The reason seatposts are made in .2 mm increments is because it does make a difference. You need the right size. As mentioned in other posts, using an undersized post could ruin your seat tube.
    "Learn how to handle hot things. Keep your knives sharp. And above all, have a good time" - Julia Child

  7. #7
    dotdotdot
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just wrap the post around with 3 piece of paper

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ebbtide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
    Posts
    4,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PriO
    just wrap the post around with 3 piece of paper
    Don't listen to him

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read that you can cut a piece of soda can and use that as a shim. Sounds kinda MacGuyver-ish in a ghetto way, doesn't it? Hmm..OK, I'm going to exchange it for the proper size. Thanks all.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenz
    "Ended up" as in you measured it, or its the wrong size post?

    Yes, that is a big problem that can ruin your frame. Get a shim from your LBS, or the correct size post.
    There are no .2mm shims unless you make one yourseelf.

  11. #11
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by venga!
    I just read that you can cut a piece of soda can and use that as a shim. Sounds kinda MacGuyver-ish in a ghetto way, doesn't it? Hmm..OK, I'm going to exchange it for the proper size. Thanks all.
    I've done it.No issues.

  12. #12
    Senior Member spinerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SO-CAL
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross
    Posts
    850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that could be a solution but if your post doesn't sink don't bother.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •