Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Would you still ride on this tire with the pictured damage?

    The pictured tire is a Continental GP4000 (23-622), almost brand new. The small circular divot next to the "V" shaped damage is one of the tread wear indicators on the tire. The tear doesn't penetrate the "Vectran" belt in the tire, but it does appear to go all the way to it.

    I don't have much riding experience at this point so I'm curious from folks with a lot more miles under their belts what they would do. I've ridden about 50 miles on the tire since it was damaged (with a spare tire folded up and tucked in with my other gear). I've kept the tire at 100 PSI for those miles, and there's no visible bulging at that pressure.

    I'd like to keep riding on it, given that it's almost new and it feels like a shame to replace it. My main concern is that it might blow out on me in some spectacular manner. Much beyond that, I'm fine with changing it on the side of the road instead of at my house if I have to.

    EDIT: Sorry about the lighting, I took the photo with my cellphone in my basement, using my headlight to illuminate the tire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pessimist; 03-08-10 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Additional information about the lighting

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,375
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super glue the cut shut.
    Super glue some rubber in the round hole.
    Small boot on the inside.
    Use it on your rear wheel.

    Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-08-10 at 07:35 PM.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Super glue the cut shut.
    Super glue some rubber in the round hole.
    Small boot on the inside.
    Use it on your rear wheel.
    Wouldn't you want to use it on the front where you can get away with less tire pressure and less weight over the tire?

  4. #4
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,375
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    Wouldn't you want to use it on the front where you can get away with less tire pressure and less weight over the tire?
    Nope. Front tire failures can cause crashes.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  5. #5
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    Wouldn't you want to use it on the front where you can get away with less tire pressure and less weight over the tire?
    No. A front tire failure can result in more then just a flat aside the road.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Super glue the cut shut.
    Super glue some rubber in the round hole.
    Small boot on the inside.
    Use it on your rear wheel.
    Thanks for the speedy reply, that is all well within my abilities And it is already on the rear wheel.

  7. #7
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,548
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the carcass itself is unaffected, I don't see the point of a boot.

    You may want to fill the split with silicone or something though... I doubt superglue would hold it closed, but it might be worth a shot.

  8. #8
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,375
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
    If the carcass itself is unaffected, I don't see the point of a boot.

    You may want to fill the split with silicone or something though... I doubt superglue would hold it closed, but it might be worth a shot.
    You didn't have 28 flats last year.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  9. #9
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fine... just keep an eye on it and do like the other posters say, patch the inside so the inner tube doesn't bulge out.

  10. #10
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the pressure out of it, glue it shut with super glue, let it sit 24 hours to cure good, reinflate, ride.

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  11. #11
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    The pictured tire is a Continental GP4000 (23-622), almost brand new. The small circular divot next to the "V" shaped damage is one of the tread wear indicators on the tire. The tear doesn't penetrate the "Vectran" belt in the tire, but it does appear to go all the way to it.

    I don't have much riding experience at this point so I'm curious from folks with a lot more miles under their belts what they would do. I've ridden about 50 miles on the tire since it was damaged (with a spare tire folded up and tucked in with my other gear). I've kept the tire at 100 PSI for those miles, and there's no visible bulging at that pressure.

    I'd like to keep riding on it, given that it's almost new and it feels like a shame to replace it. My main concern is that it might blow out on me in some spectacular manner. Much beyond that, I'm fine with changing it on the side of the road instead of at my house if I have to.

    EDIT: Sorry about the lighting, I took the photo with my cellphone in my basement, using my headlight to illuminate the tire.
    The tyre is no good when

    1) The cords underneath are cut, and it is more than minor
    2) When inflated the tyre visibly bulges or the tube is visible

    You can determine this yourself. The picture shows nothing.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 510, Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    8,869
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, look at the casing from inside the tire. That's where the tire's strength is. Superglue is OK to hold the rubber closed but it's not enough to hold a cut in the casing cords.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943 View Post
    Yeah, look at the casing from inside the tire. That's where the tire's strength is. Superglue is OK to hold the rubber closed but it's not enough to hold a cut in the casing cords.
    I don't have a picture of it, but there was no visible damage inside the tire at all. It looked completely undisturbed. I assume that the "Vectran" layer stopped the tear from getting any deeper than the surface rubber.

    Thanks all, from the sound of it I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'll glue it shut and boot it for good measure.

  14. #14
    Bikaholic blamp28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem
    Posts
    1,465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have cut tires like this and all have eventually failed. In my experience, the risk of an interrupted trip are worse are not worth the savings. I now keep such tires for use on indoor trainer bikes where a failure is merely an inconvenience.

  15. #15
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    11,603
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good opportunity to try a new tire!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  16. #16
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    You didn't have 28 flats last year.
    I'm not sure whether that qualifies you as the very best or the very worst person to give advice in this matter.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  17. #17
    Senior Member Nachoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Point Loma, CA
    My Bikes
    Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
    Posts
    12,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superglue plus boot.
    .
    .

    Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    El Segundo, Ca.
    My Bikes
    '93 Performance R203, '83 Bianchi 980
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shoe-goo from athletic shoe store can be used to fill the hole

  19. #19
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,375
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    I'm not sure whether that qualifies you as the very best or the very worst person to give advice in this matter.
    I now have many repaired tires waiting for my rear wheel.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,829
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the damage doesn't go through the cord you are good to go. If the cords are cut I have 1/32 pipe flange gasket material that is stronger than the tire wall. I super-glue this inside and put a bit of duct tape over it to keep the stiff patch from fretting through the tube.

  21. #21
    blah blah blah milkbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is no cutting into the cords/belt, can the OP just ride without gluing the rubber shut? What is the main disadvantage of not repairing the cut in the rubber? Thank you, just want to learn...

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new tire is cheaper than a trip to the ER. Why play games with your safety?

  23. #23
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jroth View Post
    A new tire is cheaper than a trip to the ER. Why play games with your safety?
    Isn't that cycling is all about??
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 510, Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    8,869
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
    If there is no cutting into the cords/belt, can the OP just ride without gluing the rubber shut? What is the main disadvantage of not repairing the cut in the rubber? Thank you, just want to learn...
    Gluing the rubber shut keeps small rocks, glass, etc. out of the tire structure.

  25. #25
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jroth View Post
    A new tire is cheaper than a trip to the ER. Why play games with your safety?
    ... seriously?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •