Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member KDC1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano Brake parts

    I'm thinking about putting on new brakes and brake levers on my LHT. I am looking at the Shimano BL-R400 brake levers
    and Shimano Cantilever brakes BR-R550.I don't like what came on my bicycle.Anyone use these brakes parts before if so how good are they.I am some what of OLD School ways.

  2. #2
    me have long head tube TallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    4,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano makes good stuff at nearly every level, including these brakes. The BL-R400 are the standard Shimano brake levers, well-made stuff.
    The levers are comfortable for some people but not as much for others. I prefer the Tektro brake levers with Campy-style hood shape. Wider hood body with flatter top is more comfortable for my hands. Although I do use the Shimano levers on my fixed-gear bike because the sharper curve/spike into the front of the lever gives me a bit more confidence of my hands never popping off the front of the hood. Not something I'd worry about at this level except in fixed-gear riding.
    I have very large hands btw. YMMV with different hood shapes.

  3. #3
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to Tallrider's suggestion for the Tektro brake levers. I have the stock levers on my Cross Check (same as the LHT) and find them to be every bit as comfortable as my vintage 105sc levers from 1991.

    I will politely disagree about the BR R550 brakes, though. I bought a pair and promptly brought them back the next day. I find the 'through-wire' style of cable straddle to be impossible to adjust properly. I had no luck in setting in correctly without having the spring-end just collapse like a Slinky when I pulled the lever. I've heard wonderful things about these brakes from many people, but my personal opinion is not too high (of any brake using the 'through-wire' straddle; not just these.)
    Also being of the old-school ways, I opted for the Tektro CR720 wide profile cantilever. I kept the sliding straddle hanger from the stock Tektro Oryx brakes rather than the bolt-clamp hanger they come with. The CR720s took about 10 minutes to install and adjust both sets.
    Another old-school canti option is the Velo-Orange CX Roberto or Grand Cru brake sets. They're based off the old Mafac design (like Paul Neo-Retros, without the price tag), and properly adjusted you can crack walnuts with 'em.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  4. #4
    me have long head tube TallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    4,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I frequently find cantilever brakes a PITA to adjust. When I said the Shimano brakes are good, I trust that they're well-made and the pad material is good. CliftonGK1 may be right about the design of those brakes being more of a pain to adjust.

  5. #5
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    +1 to Tallrider's suggestion for the Tektro brake levers. I have the stock levers on my Cross Check (same as the LHT) and find them to be every bit as comfortable as my vintage 105sc levers from 1991.

    I will politely disagree about the BR R550 brakes, though. I bought a pair and promptly brought them back the next day. I find the 'through-wire' style of cable straddle to be impossible to adjust properly. I had no luck in setting in correctly without having the spring-end just collapse like a Slinky when I pulled the lever. I've heard wonderful things about these brakes from many people, but my personal opinion is not too high (of any brake using the 'through-wire' straddle; not just these.)
    Also being of the old-school ways, I opted for the Tektro CR720 wide profile cantilever. I kept the sliding straddle hanger from the stock Tektro Oryx brakes rather than the bolt-clamp hanger they come with. The CR720s took about 10 minutes to install and adjust both sets.
    Another old-school canti option is the Velo-Orange CX Roberto or Grand Cru brake sets. They're based off the old Mafac design (like Paul Neo-Retros, without the price tag), and properly adjusted you can crack walnuts with 'em.
    Just because you don't know how to set them up doesn't mean they suck. We've built and sold plenty of bikes with those shimano cantilevers and they adjust and work just fine.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  6. #6
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Just because you don't know how to set them up doesn't mean they suck. We've built and sold plenty of bikes with those shimano cantilevers and they adjust and work just fine.
    Comprehension: Get you some.

    I never said the BR R550 brakes suck. I even stated that I've heard great things about them from many people. The entire admission of the post was that I could not set them up properly. Since much of my riding is sans-support, I can't be left with my cheese in the breeze should something happen that I need to open and readjust my brakes during an event; therefore, I chose a brakeset which I have no problems adjusting.

    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
    I find the 'through-wire' style of cable straddle to be impossible to adjust properly.
    I had no luck in setting in correctly without having the spring-end just collapse like a Slinky when I pulled the lever.
    I've heard wonderful things about these brakes from many people, but my personal opinion is not too high
    To address the actual issue I have with the through-wire straddle, I'm not certain what the purported benefit of the design is versus a traditional straddle wire, but I seemed to have found a detriment to the design. I've never had a problem adjusting a traditional straddled canti brake to appropriate stopping power, but following the directions included with the BR R550 I was unable to adjust them to a workable configuration, much less one which had any hopes of stopping my bike.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Malaysia
    My Bikes
    an old Marin
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these days i feel very lucky if i can find new set of cantis. once set they hold their setting for a long time. and those ol pads last long

  8. #8
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    Comprehension: Get you some.
    Let me put this in terms you will understand

    Just because you can't adjust them properly doesn't mean there's a problem with the brakes. YOU fail. The BR-R550 brakes are one of THE fastest cantilevers to setup on the face of the planet. If you can't do that, go upgrade your wrenching skill instead of thrashing them online. Or maybe you should comprehend the installation instructions that came with those brakes. I'm tired of this ridiculous bull**** being posted day in and day out on this forum.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  9. #9
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Let me put this in terms you will understand

    Just because you can't adjust them properly doesn't mean there's a problem with the brakes. YOU fail. The BR-R550 brakes are one of THE fastest cantilevers to setup on the face of the planet. If you can't do that, go upgrade your wrenching skill instead of thrashing them online. Or maybe you should comprehend the installation instructions that came with those brakes. I'm tired of this ridiculous bull**** being posted day in and day out on this forum.
    Again, you're failing at basic comprehension.

    I never "thrashed" the BR R550 brake. (Go ahead and quote me where I thrashed it. Just try.)
    I admitted that it was my own inability to set up a through wire straddle.
    I even stated that I've heard many great things about them, but I. Me personally. Not anyone else to blame but me. had problems setting them up by following the included instructions. Because of this, I chose to go with a design I have more confidence in maintaining; the traditional straddle wire cantilever.
    Could I have chosen to bring them back to the LBS and ask the guys for a lesson on adjusting them so I can "upgrade my wrenching skills"? Sure.
    Would I be confident in my new found skill that I could apply it, if necessary, at 3am in the dark, cold and rain after 30 hours of riding? Hellz no... but I can adjust a traditional straddle in my sleep, which made it a no-brainer decision.

    The "ridiculous bull" being slung here is coming from you. You've chosen to ignore the fact that I blamed only myself (in two separate posts) for the inability to set these brakes up properly. You've even ignored the fact that I mentioned other people's high opinion of them, and somehow interpreted my post to read "THESE BRAKES R TEH SUXX0RZ! DONT BY EM!!!!!11!"

    So, rinse the sand out of your chamois and get over yourself.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Clif, someone is wound a little tight tonight.....

  11. #11
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    Again, you're failing at basic comprehension.

    I never "thrashed" the BR R550 brake. (Go ahead and quote me where I thrashed it. Just try.)
    I admitted that it was my own inability to set up a through wire straddle.
    I even stated that I've heard many great things about them, but I. Me personally. Not anyone else to blame but me. had problems setting them up by following the included instructions. Because of this, I chose to go with a design I have more confidence in maintaining; the traditional straddle wire cantilever.
    Could I have chosen to bring them back to the LBS and ask the guys for a lesson on adjusting them so I can "upgrade my wrenching skills"? Sure.
    Would I be confident in my new found skill that I could apply it, if necessary, at 3am in the dark, cold and rain after 30 hours of riding? Hellz no... but I can adjust a traditional straddle in my sleep, which made it a no-brainer decision.

    The "ridiculous bull" being slung here is coming from you. You've chosen to ignore the fact that I blamed only myself (in two separate posts) for the inability to set these brakes up properly. You've even ignored the fact that I mentioned other people's high opinion of them, and somehow interpreted my post to read "THESE BRAKES R TEH SUXX0RZ! DONT BY EM!!!!!11!"

    So, rinse the sand out of your chamois and get over yourself.
    I'm just going to quote these for fun

    I find the 'through-wire' style of cable straddle to be impossible to adjust properly.
    I had no luck in setting in correctly without having the spring-end just collapse like a Slinky when I pulled the lever.
    but my personal opinion is not too high (of any brake using the 'through-wire' straddle; not just these.)
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  12. #12
    Senior Member vredstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    My Bikes
    '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike
    Posts
    704
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDC1956 View Post
    I'm thinking about putting on new brakes and brake levers on my LHT. I am looking at the Shimano BL-R400 brake levers
    and Shimano Cantilever brakes BR-R550.I don't like what came on my bicycle.Anyone use these brakes parts before if so how good are they.I am some what of OLD School ways.
    The 550 are some of the nicest cantis still available. I like them because they have a nice combination of quality materials, great function, nice looks-nothing goofy or radical, and very reasonably priced. I run them on my commuter, both front and rear. Very solid construction, very smooth operation. I personally prefer to set them up with a Tektro yoke and separate transverse cable
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cable...are-brake.html
    rather than the supplied Shimano link cable. The supplied link wire takes much less time and effort to set up. But I've got all the time in the world and like to fiddle and experiment with different angles/lengths, leaving the transverse cable free to slide along the yoke versus clamping it down with the grub screws, etc.
    "See, it's not that getting wet is a big deal. Really, it's what you're getting wet with.
    Fenders....because it's probably urine."
    Bike Snob NYC

  13. #13
    Senior Member KDC1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDC1956 View Post
    I'm thinking about putting on new brakes and brake levers on my LHT. I am looking at the Shimano BL-R400 brake levers
    and Shimano Cantilever brakes BR-R550.I don't like what came on my bicycle.Anyone use these brakes parts before if so how good are they.I am some what of OLD School ways.
    Thanks folks after all this I went and got the Shimano BL-R400 brake levers and the Shimano Cantilever brakes BR-R550 and I had no trouble adjusting this setup.For some reason I just wanted all if not most of my bike to have Shimano parts on it.And thses brakes do work very well I don't see what all the fuss is over with these brakes very easy to setup. Thanks for all the help on this matter.

  14. #14
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    I'm just going to quote these for fun
    And those are "just for fun", because they aren't examples of thrashing the product. If anything, they're a knock against my skill; but I never said the BR R550 is a bad brake. If you go back and read my original post, I even said that I've heard many good things from other riders who use them. (which is the first part of the last quote you conveniently pulled out of context. Nice job! Do you have a side gig writing for the NY Post?)
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  15. #15
    BeaverTerror Yan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    My Bikes
    2013 True North custom touring; 2009 Unicycle.com Club Uni; 1989 Miele Tivoli; 1979 Colnago Sport
    Posts
    1,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TallRider View Post
    Shimano makes good stuff at nearly every level, including these brakes. The BL-R400 are the standard Shimano brake levers, well-made stuff.
    The levers are comfortable for some people but not as much for others. I prefer the Tektro brake levers with Campy-style hood shape. Wider hood body with flatter top is more comfortable for my hands. Although I do use the Shimano levers on my fixed-gear bike because the sharper curve/spike into the front of the lever gives me a bit more confidence of my hands never popping off the front of the hood. Not something I'd worry about at this level except in fixed-gear riding.
    I have very large hands btw. YMMV with different hood shapes.
    Hey, we have the same bars, brakes, and barend shifters!

    I use the BR-R550s on my bike. No complaints. The front squeaked with new Kool Stop salmon pads, but stopped once the pads wore in a bit after some heavy braking. I too prefer the Tektro (or the identical but more expensive Cane Creek) levers. They have a built in quick release which makes wheel changing much easier.

    Not that there's anything wrong with those Shimano levers.
    Last edited by Yan; 03-15-10 at 04:58 AM.
    Yan

    2013 True North custom touring; 2010 Novara Randonee; 2009 Unicycle.com Club 24"; 1989 Miele Tivoli; 1979 Colnago Sport

  16. #16
    Senior Member KDC1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I know I gave up my quick release but I just wanted the Shimano set up on my Surly LHT.I have change out most of what came on my LHT to Shimano parts.On your Salmon kool stops did you toe them a little I did and it put a end to the squeaked.Ever one has there own set up that they like best mine just happen to be with the Shimano parts.

  17. #17
    BeaverTerror Yan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    My Bikes
    2013 True North custom touring; 2009 Unicycle.com Club Uni; 1989 Miele Tivoli; 1979 Colnago Sport
    Posts
    1,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I toe in my pads when I switch them out for new ones, but I don't bother with periodic re-toe in because the pads just wear flat again in no time. If the brakes squeak I just live with it (although mine were never terribly bad). The squeak is very useful for getting pedestrians to move out of your way.
    Yan

    2013 True North custom touring; 2010 Novara Randonee; 2009 Unicycle.com Club 24"; 1989 Miele Tivoli; 1979 Colnago Sport

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •