Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    "I love lamp"
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    My Bikes
    06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Surface only sidewall tear?

    So I have a Conti gp4000s on the front wheel of my track bike. I know that if I get a sidewall tear with tube sticking out it should go in the dumpster. However, I have one with what looks like a very very small tear but upon closer inspection it is only on the outside and has not made its way through to the inside of the tire. If you just looked at the inside you would not know there is any damage to the outside. It looks just like the tire scraped against something, not like a slice. Any chance I can get a few more miles out of it?

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,658
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try some super glue.



    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    Senior Member Torchy McFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Bikes
    NOYB
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. Just keep an eye on it, and make sure you carry a spare tube and some tire booting with you.

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbeatonNJ View Post
    So I have a Conti gp4000s on the front wheel of my track bike. I know that if I get a sidewall tear with tube sticking out it should go in the dumpster. However, I have one with what looks like a very very small tear but upon closer inspection it is only on the outside and has not made its way through to the inside of the tire. If you just looked at the inside you would not know there is any damage to the outside. It looks just like the tire scraped against something, not like a slice. Any chance I can get a few more miles out of it?
    If there is no noticeable bulge when tyre is inflated and the cords are obviously not cut underneath then it's fine.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id replace the tire instead of taking a needless risk.

  6. #6
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upgreydd View Post
    Id replace the tire instead of taking a needless risk.
    ... yeah let's ignore the fact that there is a method to directly test whether the risk is real or not.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  7. #7
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    copy/paste links: http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,824
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's no cut cords, you're fine.

    You may be able to get away with some very slight damage to the carcass (like only through one ply), but if it means more than a tiny bulge, the tyre's no good.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    ... yeah let's ignore the fact that there is a method to directly test whether the risk is real or not.
    Okay, whatever, do what you want, itll be your encounter with the pavement, not mine.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    El Segundo, Ca.
    My Bikes
    '93 Performance R203, '83 Bianchi 980
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    put it on the back.

  10. #10
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upgreydd View Post
    Okay, whatever, do what you want, itll be your encounter with the pavement, not mine.
    actually, even with cut cords, tires are extremely resilient if you put some cloth behind the hole to patch it, as long as the hole isn't too big.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  11. #11
    BloomBikeShop.com BloomBikeShop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East Coast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Giant XTC SE2, S&M Warpig, KHE Premium Lagger, Trek 800, a couple old Raleighs, an old Road Runner, etc.
    Posts
    454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had rips like that before. With just a little super glue on the outside and a tube patch on the inside of the tire, I've gotten plenty more miles out of them without the damage expanding or causing an incident.

    Just remember, tire blowouts suck, so keep an eye on it!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •