Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-10, 09:10 PM   #1
UprightJoe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tire Repair

I hit a little piece of debris on my ride home tonight that was as sharp as a razor. It made a clean slice in a nearly new puncture-resistant tire about a centimeter wide. I carry a folding spare so I just rode my spare tire home. Is this something that can be permanently repaired with a boot or something?

I don't want to throw out the tire if it's repairable but at the same time, I don't want to flat constantly because I'm too cheap to buy a new one.
UprightJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 09:21 PM   #2
canopus 
Senior Member
 
canopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kingwood, TX
Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR300, 1985 Cannondale ST400, 1984 Trek 760, 1984 Trek 610, 1984 Trek 720, 1981 Trek 710, 1979 Trek 710, Gary Littlejohn Cruiser, BMX
Posts: 1,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could patch it from the inside. Or leave a dollar bill on the inside between the tire and tube. Move it to the front if you are really worried about it. Might as well try it before throwing it out.
canopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 09:25 PM   #3
cnnrmccloskey
Senior Member
 
cnnrmccloskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland Oregon
Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canopus View Post
You could patch it from the inside. Or leave a dollar bill on the inside between the tire and tube. Move it to the front if you are really worried about it. Might as well try it before throwing it out.
Bad advice, if you have a wheel that could flat unpredictibly you would want it on the rear wheel, when front tires fail its gonna affect the handling and you can easily crash.
Tire boots are temporary solutions so you can ride home/ to the shop, it is not an appropriate long term fix, sad story but your tire is trash, time for a new one, you'd be upset that you didn't when your 20 miles from home walking your bike after that boot fails.
cnnrmccloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 10:11 PM   #4
simplify
ride, paint, ride
 
simplify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Cannondale R300 Caad2
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnrmccloskey View Post
Bad advice, if you have a wheel that could flat unpredictibly you would want it on the rear wheel, when front tires fail its gonna affect the handling and you can easily crash.
Tire boots are temporary solutions so you can ride home/ to the shop, it is not an appropriate long term fix, sad story but your tire is trash, time for a new one, you'd be upset that you didn't when your 20 miles from home walking your bike after that boot fails.
Agree completely. Been there, lost a very expensive tire on its first ride. It hurts but it's not worth taking a chance, because once the casing is cut through, there's no way to make a permanent, completely safe and longlasting repair.
simplify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 10:17 PM   #5
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Centimeter wide!!!! That tire is toast if it went thru cords!!!!!!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 09:56 AM   #6
Metaluna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Soma Double Cross Disc
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplify View Post
Agree completely. Been there, lost a very expensive tire on its first ride. It hurts but it's not worth taking a chance, because once the casing is cut through, there's no way to make a permanent, completely safe and longlasting repair.
Yes, there's no way a little rubber patch is going to replace the strength of an aramid belt.

I once rode over a utility knife blade that some a$$ had left laying on the shoulder. Sliced a nearly new Michelin Carbon clean through from sidewall to sidewall.
Metaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 01:42 PM   #7
dstrong 
Senior Member
 
dstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Awesome, Austin, TX
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6
Posts: 3,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaluna View Post
I once rode over a utility knife blade that some ass had left laying on the shoulder.
FIFY. You can say "ass".
__________________

2014 Specialized RoubaixOOOOOO 2003 Interloc ImpalaOOOOOO 2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

dstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 02:04 PM   #8
Kimmo
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Bikes: copy/paste links: http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
Posts: 7,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One sure-fire way to tell if the casing's damaged is to see if there's a corresponding bulge. A boot's not gonna fix that, which is the main reason it's junked.

...I can't help feeling there should be a way to repair such damage... some sort of steroidal gaffer tape or something... it basically needs to support the tyre from bead to bead.

Last edited by Kimmo; 03-12-10 at 02:07 PM.
Kimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.