Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-04, 09:06 AM   #1
mitok
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seatpost clamp size.---WTF--I hate this

I'm pissed off. If youíve been noticing, Iíve been asking a lot of questions due to my frame change not going as smoothly as I was hoping. Here is my next problem. My new frame is Magnesium and therefore the tubing is thinner than the old Aluminum bike. So naturally the seat post clamp doesnít F-in clamp anything, it just presses against itself to the max and the seat post just moves however it wants. Now, I should mention that the seat tube size on the new frame is the correct one, just the tubing is thinner. Any ideas. And will I be able to find the right size clamp or Iím stuck doing modifications to the current one. Thanks.
mitok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 09:12 AM   #2
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitok
I'm pissed off. If youíve been noticing, Iíve been asking a lot of questions due to my frame change not going as smoothly as I was hoping. Here is my next problem. My new frame is Magnesium and therefore the tubing is thinner than the old Aluminum bike. So naturally the seat post clamp doesnít F-in clamp anything, it just presses against itself to the max and the seat post just moves however it wants. Now, I should mention that the seat tube size on the new frame is the correct one, just the tubing is thinner. Any ideas. And will I be able to find the right size clamp or Iím stuck doing modifications to the current one. Thanks.
They do come in different sizes. You measure your seattube and then start looking.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 09:35 AM   #3
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitok
I'm pissed off. If you've been noticing, I've been asking a lot of questions due to my frame change not going as smoothly as I was hoping. Here is my next problem. My new frame is Magnesium and therefore the tubing is thinner than the old Aluminum bike. So naturally the seat post clamp doesn't F-in clamp anything, it just presses against itself to the max and the seat post just moves however it wants. Now, I should mention that the seat tube size on the new frame is the correct one, just the tubing is thinner. Any ideas. And will I be able to find the right size clamp or I'm stuck doing modifications to the current one. Thanks.
http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...osts&tc=&q=&s=

If you can't measure and figure out the size you need yourself, your LBS shoudl be able to do it.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 09:43 AM   #4
royalflash
Senior Member
 
royalflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Munich
Bikes: Lemond Alpe dīHuez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can buy shims if you don`t want to buy a new saddle post
royalflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 10:04 AM   #5
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalflash
you can buy shims if you don`t want to buy a new saddle post
It's not the post.It's the right size.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 10:31 AM   #6
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,742
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
I'm kind of surprised that you say that the front derailleur clamp fits and the seatpost clamp doesn't.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 10:40 AM   #7
mitok
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm kind of surprised that you say that the front derailleur clamp fits and the seatpost clamp doesn't.
I haven't completely tested out the front derailleur, maybe it will slip once I start sifting and all but Iím pretty sure there is more slack to play with on the derailleur then the seat post clamp.
mitok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 02:47 PM   #8
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitok
I haven't completely tested out the front derailleur, maybe it will slip once I start sifting and all but Iím pretty sure there is more slack to play with on the derailleur then the seat post clamp.
The derailer clamp is the right size or it isn't.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 07:57 PM   #9
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you don't have a dial caliper (an inexpensive and extremely useful tool you can get at Home Depot) then take the bike down to your LBS and let them fix you up. If you do have a dial caliper, measure the seatpost diameter and tell your LBS what size you need.

Personally I like to measure the size myself so I know I have the correct reading.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 AM.