Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-04, 08:30 PM   #1
lilfireman4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chian sizes

could some help me
what chain should i get
and how do i kno wht size to get
does the size have to do with how many teeth the chainwheel has or freewheel
lilfireman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 08:43 PM   #2
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chain for what? Bicycle? Dog? Chaingang?

Assuming it's for a bicycle, if you have more than one but less than 9 rear cogs, then you need a 3/32", or 8-speed chain. If you have 9 cogs, you need a 9-speed chain. If you have 10 cogs you need a 10-speed chain. If you have one cog, you need a 1/8" or singlespeed chain.

All chains are longer than you need unless you ride a recimbent bike. Take the old chain off and stretch it out next to the new chain. Remove any extra links so the new chain is the same size as the old one. If you ride a recumbent, you will probably need to buy more than one chain and put them together. If you have a tandem, you will also need to buy two chains.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 08:54 PM   #3
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supcom
Chain for what? Bicycle? Dog? Chaingang?

Assuming it's for a bicycle, if you have more than one but less than 9 rear cogs, then you need a 3/32", or 8-speed chain. If you have 9 cogs, you need a 9-speed chain. If you have 10 cogs you need a 10-speed chain. If you have one cog, you need a 1/8" or singlespeed chain.
All derailer chains are 3/32" and so could a single speed.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 04:02 AM   #4
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,916
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
All derailer chains are 3/32" and so could a single speed.
Ohhh, Sydney, you were wrong twice in only one sentence. Nine and ten speed derailleur bikes have to have their own narrow chains. A 3/32" chain won't fit between the closely spaced rear cogs. Many BMX-style single speed bikes have big fat chainrings that are too thick for a 3/32" chain to fit onto.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 07:12 AM   #5
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Ohhh, Sydney, you were wrong twice in only one sentence. Nine and ten speed derailleur bikes have to have their own narrow chains. A 3/32" chain won't fit between the closely spaced rear cogs. Many BMX-style single speed bikes have big fat chainrings that are too thick for a 3/32" chain to fit onto.
Not me, It's the inside width thats 3/32" and a single speed COULD be built around cogs/chainrings that use that same width.The first poster just muddied the water with that 3/32 stuff. Easier to have said use a 8 speed chain on 5 thru 8 speeds, and a 9 or 10 with the appropriate application(coz they are all 3/32" INSIDE) and a 1/8" on a singlespeed that reqires it. Besides, 3/32" is .093 or 2.4mm,and 10 speed chains are about 5.8 - 6.1 wide.Hope that clears it up.

Last edited by sydney; 08-27-04 at 07:34 AM.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 PM.