Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wahiawa. Oahu
    Posts
    1,316
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    700x28 tire height dimension??

    OK, on a vanilla road bike I am running 700x28 Schwalbe Marathon "Kevlar Guard" tires. They fit fine although need to be deflated to get past brakes--no problem.

    Since avoiding flats is #1 priority, I ordered a set of Marathon Plus "Smart Guard" also in 700x28. Oops--they fit ok width-wise, but the built-up belt causes the tire to rub against the back of the center post and the arch of the fork and seat stay bridge.

    To save $$ I order tires from Europe, so the "try and see" sizing guide doesn't work.

    Does anybody know of a site that shows actual inflated dimensions of bike tires?

    I'd like to try Conti gator skins and/or Specialized Armadillos, but who knows if they'd fit?

  2. #2
    Gear Hub fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Reno, NV
    My Bikes
    Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega
    Posts
    2,830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallbike.com has the info you want, provided by customers as well as shop measurements, for some tires IIRC. It may be only for Schwalbe tires though.

    Based on my own experience the Ribmo tires and Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are both larger diameter than most due to carcass thickness for puncture protection. The Armadillos are a more normal thickness tire.
    Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

    Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/

  3. #3
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wahiawa. Oahu
    Posts
    1,316
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tatfiend View Post
    Wallbike.com has the info you want, provided by customers as well as shop measurements, for some tires IIRC. It may be only for Schwalbe tires though.

    Based on my own experience the Ribmo tires and Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are both larger diameter than most due to carcass thickness for puncture protection. The Armadillos are a more normal thickness tire.
    Wall is working on it, but just started. Anything else? Also, it occurred to me that the wideness of the rim would effect how high the tire sticks up above the rim, no?

  4. #4
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,792
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Yep, I'd imagine rim width would have an effect on the profile. It's tough to find road bikes that'll fit most 28s. I doubt there's a 28 that will fit in my fork. 25s are pretty nice for me, however.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  5. #5
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,008
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii View Post
    Wall is working on it, but just started. Anything else? Also, it occurred to me that the wideness of the rim would effect how high the tire sticks up above the rim, no?
    Of course.

    The distance from one bead, around the tread to the opposite bead is a constant. If you move the two tire beads farther apart as if they were on a wider rim, the height of the tread has to come down.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wahiawa. Oahu
    Posts
    1,316
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Of course.

    The distance from one bead, around the tread to the opposite bead is a constant. If you move the two tire beads farther apart as if they were on a wider rim, the height of the tread has to come down.
    Good thinking--so the information I want is rim-dependent with as many variations as there are different rim widths. Hell, I knew that--just checking to see if you guys were alert!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •