Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Not so Newbie boulderroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    converting from downtube shifters to brifters

    I have an old Serotta that I am converting from down tube shifters to brifters. I am not sure to how add or where to get the outer down tube stoppers. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Michael

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,767
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will come with the brifters if you are purchasing Shimano components. For Campy or SRAM, you'll need to buy them separately though many people have had good luck simply asking for a set at the LBS (who presumably has many leftover sets from installing Shimano brifters on bikes that don't need the stops).

  3. #3
    Mechanic/Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Would have more bikes if I had time to ride them all. Previous bikes: 1968 Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fav), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.
    Posts
    4,556
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That it is an old Serotta tells you (and us) nothing. The shifters must be compatible with the derailleurs or you will be changing them as well (and then maybe the chain). The part you need is called a housing stop - Google is helpful both for info on the conversion and on the part you need. As for how to do it, probably best to go to the source - manufacturer's website or instructions that come with the equipment. Some of the online merchants may have information or can help you with what you need if you call their tech support.

    If you still want help here you need to research first what you want to accomplish and then post here your remaining questions with full details on the parameters - current parts, desired system, etc.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,767
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cny-bikeman, what post are you responding to?

  5. #5
    Senior Member MrCjolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Davis CA
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion
    Posts
    3,954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cny-bikeman View Post
    That it is an old Serotta tells you (and us) nothing. The shifters must be compatible with the derailleurs or you will be changing them as well (and then maybe the chain). The part you need is called a housing stop - Google is helpful both for info on the conversion and on the part you need. As for how to do it, probably best to go to the source - manufacturer's website or instructions that come with the equipment. Some of the online merchants may have information or can help you with what you need if you call their tech support.

    If you still want help here you need to research first what you want to accomplish and then post here your remaining questions with full details on the parameters - current parts, desired system, etc.
    Actually, no real need to worry unless the parts are Campy or the bike less has less than 7 speeds on the rear. Just make sure you by the right integrated shifters (I just can't say "br****rs" and I don't like other's saying it either.)

  6. #6
    I have senior moments... bikinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woodside, CA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    2,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the down tube shifters. They look way better. I'm not fond of br******
    suum quique
    Mountain bikes: Santa Cruz Hecklers (99, 02, 07), Santa Cruz Nomad, Moots YBB, Trek OCLV Pro Issue, American Breezer
    Road bikes: TST, Trek 2300 (Carbon/Alum)

  7. #7
    Real Men Ride Ordinaries fuzz2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
    They will come with the brifters if you are purchasing Shimano components. For Campy or SRAM, you'll need to buy them separately though many people have had good luck simply asking for a set at the LBS (who presumably has many leftover sets from installing Shimano brifters on bikes that don't need the stops).
    Joejack has it right, and feel free to ignore the advice of everyone else chiming in to answer questions you didn't ask. Some LBS' will have a big box of the downtube cable stops, and others will have no idea what they are. It took me three bike shops, one thought I was crazy, the second had to dig out the QBP catalogue to find out what they were, the third had a box of them and gave me a handful.

    I think high end is a good thing, the more carbon fibre on display, the better. At least in terms of getting these things for free.

  8. #8
    Not so Newbie boulderroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to those that posted helpful replies. As usual, this forum is a good resource.
    CNY, I do not need your pre-conditions in order to ask a question and will post here as I please. If you don't like my question, don't reply.
    Michael

  9. #9
    I have senior moments... bikinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woodside, CA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    2,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderroad View Post
    Thank you to those that posted helpful replies. As usual, this forum is a good resource.
    CNY, I do not need your pre-conditions in order to ask a question and will post here as I please. If you don't like my question, don't reply.
    You mean you didn't find my post helpful? Yessir! Will conform to your perception immediately! Why is it, though, only you can post as you please?
    suum quique
    Mountain bikes: Santa Cruz Hecklers (99, 02, 07), Santa Cruz Nomad, Moots YBB, Trek OCLV Pro Issue, American Breezer
    Road bikes: TST, Trek 2300 (Carbon/Alum)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •