Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Skewers always included with Shimano hubs?

    I was under the impression that Shimano hubs always came bundled with the quick-release skewers.

    I just received a package that included:

    5 Shimano front hub 2200 (came with skewers)

    1 Shimano Deore front disk hub M525 (came with skewer)

    5 Shimano rear hub FH-2200--NO SKEWERS

    I referred back to the vendor's website to see if the picture of the hub showed a skewer, but the product (and picture) has been removed (probably sold out).

    Before I contact the vendor, I want to check with you experts and see if skewers are not always supposed to be shipped with these hubs. Thanks.

  2. #2
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should come with skewers.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    They should come with skewers.
    operator++;

    Every boxed Shimano hollow axle hub I have ever built or sold all the way down to Altus came with a QR.

    =8-)
    4000+ wheels built since 1984...

    Disclaimer:

    1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
    2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
    3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
    4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
    5. My all time favorite book is:

    Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

  4. #4
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only time I didn't get any skewers with my shimano hubs was when I bought them through ebay and the seller explicitly stated they were missing skewers.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  5. #5
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, Gentlemen, then I conclude that I have some skewers coming; although my love affair with chainreactioncycles.com has suffered a couple of very serious setbacks lately. We shall see. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by ClarkinHawaii; 06-10-10 at 11:28 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
    operator++;

    Every boxed Shimano hollow axle hub I have ever built or sold all the way down to Altus came with a QR.

    =8-)
    I notice you specified boxed. All eleven of these hubs (both with and without skewers) came individually semi-sealed in heavy plastic bag together with Shimano Technical Service Instructions for the particular hub. All of the Shimano components that I've gotten from CRC have been packaged this way. I wonder if it matters re: the skewer question??

  7. #7
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii View Post
    I notice you specified boxed. All eleven of these hubs (both with and without skewers) came individually semi-sealed in heavy plastic bag together with Shimano Technical Service Instructions for the particular hub. All of the Shimano components that I've gotten from CRC have been packaged this way. I wonder if it matters re: the skewer question??
    Yes it does. That's how it's packed when you do a volume order. In that case the skewers would ALL come in a seperate bag. This is why I said specifically 'boxed'. As in retail boxing.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  8. #8
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sometimes CRC ditches the boxes to lighten the package or make things fit better in something smaller.
    I've gotten it both ways from them. sans box and with box... in the same package, for the same hub.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  9. #9
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks--I'll report back on the outcome.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give 'em a call...good luck!

    =8-)
    4000+ wheels built since 1984...

    Disclaimer:

    1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
    2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
    3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
    4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
    5. My all time favorite book is:

    Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,493
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    sometimes CRC ditches the boxes to lighten the package or make things fit better in something smaller.
    I've gotten it both ways from them. sans box and with box... in the same package, for the same hub.
    I don't think CRC ditched the boxes. This type of "packaging" (plastic bags) used to be common in the grey market days when mail order dealers (Nashbar was one) bought surplus parts from the big bike makers like Trek, Cannondale, etc. and sold them at a discount.

    For example, Trek would order say 5,000 of a certain model Shimano crank and these were delivered by Shimano in bulk in large cardboard crates wrapped individually in plastic but not boxed. If Trek used say 4800 of them in that year's production they would sell the surplus to someone like Nashbar who would then sell them at a major discount.

  12. #12
    biked well well biked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    I don't think CRC ditched the boxes. This type of "packaging" (plastic bags) used to be common in the grey market days when mail order dealers (Nashbar was one) bought surplus parts from the big bike makers like Trek, Cannondale, etc. and sold them at a discount.

    For example, Trek would order say 5,000 of a certain model Shimano crank and these were delivered by Shimano in bulk in large cardboard crates wrapped individually in plastic but not boxed. If Trek used say 4800 of them in that year's production they would sell the surplus to someone like Nashbar who would then sell them at a major discount.
    +1. Pricepoint was another major e-tailer that sold tons of surplus Shimano parts (often complete groups) at major discounts. The individual items were usually bagged, not boxed. QBP will still occasionally offer a reduced price Shimano item with a notation that the item doesn't come in retail packaging, it will be bagged.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Resolution of my problem

    After 8 days and 2 emails, chainreactioncycles tells me that they are shipping my missing skewers, so I am happy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •