Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-10, 07:30 PM   #1
ttheroux
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Bikes: Motobecane (road) , Iron Horse (MTB)
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Axle Overtightened

I just received a new road bike that I bought online (no lectures please!). Overall I am very pleased with the bike, but the rear hub was making a strange squeal from the get go, but I thought it would break in and go away. I have put about 60 miles on it and it has not gone away and the wheel does not turn for very long when you spin it. I took it off and tried turning the axle by hand it and there was a lot of resistance. I figured that it was overtightened, so I undid the lock nut and backed off on the cone nut and retightened. It is better, but still not great. Could I have damaged the bearings that quickly?
ttheroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 07:34 PM   #2
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maybe, it would be hard to tell unless you opened it up and examined the state of the bearings and bearing races.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 07:46 PM   #3
Adam Clark
Junior Member
 
Adam Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: On-One Inbred short travel s/s!
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perhaps the wheel was built improperly? Or, a wheel that was returned was inadvertently put on your new bike? Either way, slap some poly lube in there and give it a whirl.
Adam Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 07:50 PM   #4
nymtber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY state
Bikes: See Signature...
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most hubs are over-tight from the factory. I finally checked my Sirrus that i bought in Sept (havnt put a lot of miles on it yet) and the hubs were adjusted rather tight. I correctly adjusted them and they are smooth as buttah now

You might want to take the bearings out, clean them and look over everything good. If the races are OK and the bearings are a bit odd looking (not evenly shiny) ball bearings are pretty cheap.
nymtber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 04:04 AM   #5
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttheroux View Post
so I undid the lock nut and backed off on the cone nut and retightened. It is better, but still not great. Could I have damaged the bearings that quickly?
What kind of hub? Loose ball or cartridge bearings? These require different amounts of bearing-preload.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 05:53 AM   #6
garage sale GT
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes you can ruin your hubs by overtightening and their life may have been shortened.

The cones go first. Back the drive side cone off and see if it's got little pits in it. If so, it needs replacing because once the crumbling starts, it's only going to get worse.

What else can you do besides checking for damage, then assembling correctly?
garage sale GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 07:14 AM   #7
cny-bikeman 
Mechanic/Tourist
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Syracuse, NY
Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Would have more bikes if I had time to ride them all. Previous bikes: 1968 Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fav), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.
Posts: 6,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Yes, almost all hubs and often other bearings are too tight from the factory - often holds true even when a shop assembles it, as some assemblers are too lazy (or shops too tight) to adjust them, expecially the rear wheel. As noted, can't tell if you damaged them w/out looking. Don't assume any noise or mechanical problem will just go away. They usually get worse and more expensive with time.
cny-bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 07:25 AM   #8
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 29,437
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymtber View Post
Most hubs are over-tight from the factory.
True. While top line hubs tend to be adjusted fairly spot on, mid-range and lower hubs tend to be overly tight. They do this because they don't want to take the time to dial it in perfectly and given a choice of too tight or too loose opt for tight because loose hubs are a problem for the production wheel building machinery used by their OEM customers.

Correctly adjusting hub bearings is one of the final assembly jobs of the LBS, or whoever sells the bike. Unfortunately many shops don't check or adjust hubs or bottom brackets during assembly.

BTW- I doubt you caused any type of serious damage other than maybe some extra wear. Hub bearings are tolerant of some decent loads and the hub would have to have been very overtight to shave suffered much.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:35 AM   #9
ttheroux
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Bikes: Motobecane (road) , Iron Horse (MTB)
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
What kind of hub? Loose ball or cartridge bearings? These require different amounts of bearing-preload.
They are the loose all type. I would figure that you tighten them just enough to get out any play while still spinning freely.
ttheroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:39 AM   #10
ttheroux
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Bikes: Motobecane (road) , Iron Horse (MTB)
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
True. While top line hubs tend to be adjusted fairly spot on, mid-range and lower hubs tend to be overly tight. They do this because they don't want to take the time to dial it in perfectly and given a choice of too tight or too loose opt for tight because loose hubs are a problem for the production wheel building machinery used by their OEM customers.

Correctly adjusting hub bearings is one of the final assembly jobs of the LBS, or whoever sells the bike. Unfortunately many shops don't check or adjust hubs or bottom brackets during assembly.

BTW- I doubt you caused any type of serious damage other than maybe some extra wear. Hub bearings are tolerant of some decent loads and the hub would have to have been very overtight to shave suffered much.
I did pull the axle apart and there was a small grove on the cones and what looked like some wear in one spot on some of the bearing. It gave me the impression that the bearing where not rolling as they should and that was the noise I was hearing. I think that I might just replace the bearings and cones to be safe.
ttheroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:41 AM   #11
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttheroux View Post
They are the loose all type. I would figure that you tighten them just enough to get out any play while still spinning freely.
I usually tighten them to leave a very tiny amount of play, during the initial adjustment. Then, tightening them in the forks/dropouts usually takes that play out, as the axle is compressed.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:56 AM   #12
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replace balls and cones - not expensive. When doing final adjustment on non-drive side cone have QR skewer tightened on washers over the ends of the axle to put normal compression on the axle.
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 09:10 AM   #13
Kotts
Recreational Commuter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Bikes: Two brand-less build-ups.
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
Replace balls and cones - not expensive. When doing final adjustment on non-drive side cone have QR skewer tightened on washers over the ends of the axle to put normal compression on the axle.
This is correct for quick-release set-ups. For a solid axle, ajust for "zero" play and smooth rolling. (Not really "zero", but less than you can feel.)
Kotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 01:14 PM   #14
vredstein
Senior Member
 
vredstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttheroux View Post
I did pull the axle apart and there was a small grove on the cones and what looked like some wear in one spot on some of the bearing. It gave me the impression that the bearing where not rolling as they should and that was the noise I was hearing. I think that I might just replace the bearings and cones to be safe.
Take a small sharp tool, maybe a very small flat head screwdriver, and lightly scratch it across the grove to determine whether it's just an initial discoloration on the cone, or whether it's indeed a groove that's worn into the metal.
vredstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 01:32 PM   #15
5b00
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vredstein View Post
Take a small sharp tool, maybe a very small flat head screwdriver, and lightly scratch it across the grove to determine whether it's just an initial discoloration on the cone, or whether it's indeed a groove that's worn into the metal.
I'd try a ballpoint pen first, because it's less likely to scratch the cone.
5b00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 05:24 PM   #16
garage sale GT
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
Replace balls and cones - not expensive. When doing final adjustment on non-drive side cone have QR skewer tightened on washers over the ends of the axle to put normal compression on the axle.
It's easy to check their condition, but a pain to source the right components.

I use the washer trick too, but it's important to adjust the skewer to start to tighten at the halfway point of the lever's arc, then readjust when you install the wheel so it still tightens at the halfway point in its arc despite the different thickness of the dropout vs your washer.
garage sale GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 05:28 PM   #17
garage sale GT
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vredstein View Post
Take a small sharp tool, maybe a very small flat head screwdriver, and lightly scratch it across the grove to determine whether it's just an initial discoloration on the cone, or whether it's indeed a groove that's worn into the metal.
If there IS a groove, it's not necessarily ruined; pits mean it's ruined. Only keep an eye on that wheel and check if it's loosening up and if the axle rolls rough even if you twist it while pressing on it(most ball bearings feel rough, but not when there's a load on them). The reason is that the cones should go first, but if you catch it right away, you can save the hub.
garage sale GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 07:41 PM   #18
ttheroux
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Bikes: Motobecane (road) , Iron Horse (MTB)
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garage sale GT View Post
Yes you can ruin your hubs by overtightening and their life may have been shortened.

The cones go first. Back the drive side cone off and see if it's got little pits in it. If so, it needs replacing because once the crumbling starts, it's only going to get worse.

What else can you do besides checking for damage, then assembling correctly?
You were tight. There was some light scoring on this cone. I replaced it and repacked the bearings. Hopefully this will do it. Thanks for the suggestion.
ttheroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.