Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wahiawa. Oahu
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    gasoline or diesel fuel?

    to soak/rinse dirty chains.

    no way gonna pay the price for mineral spirits.

    all to be done outdoors.

    been a long time, but I seem to remember that diesel always leaves a greasy film, whereas gasoline dries clean.

    trudging down to the corner Aloha gas station (catchy name, huh?) in the morning with my new gas can.

    Which should I get?

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,525
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii View Post
    to soak/rinse dirty chains.

    no way gonna pay the price for mineral spirits.

    all to be done outdoors.

    been a long time, but I seem to remember that diesel always leaves a greasy film, whereas gasoline dries clean.

    trudging down to the corner Aloha gas station (catchy name, huh?) in the morning with my new gas can.

    Which should I get?
    I use this stuff.

    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,070
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesel. The fumes won't catch on fire and it leaves a slightly oily protective film. I've been using it for years it no ill effects.

  4. #4
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,774
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Diesel. The fumes won't catch on fire and it leaves a slightly oily protective film. I've been using it for years it no ill effects.
    +1... ish. I use kerosene, which is available. I pour some into a plastic jug, drop the chain in, and swish. Hang the chain to air-dry then re-lube. The "used" kerosene is filtered (coffee filters work OK) and saved so you only lose a little bit with each cleaning. A gallon can of kerosene lasts 5 or 6 years, IME.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  5. #5
    AEO
    AEO is online now
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that the park tool cyclone chain scrubber (or its knockoffs) and a cleaner of your choice will work quite well together in cleaning a dirty chain.

    that and gasoline is really dangerous to work with, even if you're outdoors.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  6. #6
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wahiawa. Oahu
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post

    that and gasoline is really dangerous to work with, even if you're outdoors.
    The only danger to be aware of is the explosive nature of the fumes, right?

  7. #7
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wahiawa. Oahu
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    I use this stuff.

    I know, I know. I just can't bring myself to use a water-based cleaner on a chain--I don't care who says it's ok, I just can't do it!

    I've got the bar oil and the ms for lubing. Using Mobile1 til it's gone, then try your way.

  8. #8
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,525
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get 9,000 miles out of chains
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  9. #9
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wahiawa. Oahu
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
    +1... ish. I use kerosene, which is available. I pour some into a plastic jug, drop the chain in, and swish. Hang the chain to air-dry then re-lube. The "used" kerosene is filtered (coffee filters work OK) and saved so you only lose a little bit with each cleaning. A gallon can of kerosene lasts 5 or 6 years, IME.
    I'm using your method exactly, but gas or diesel

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Avenue (Walmart), Former owner of Mongoose Paver. (I have the notable distinction of purchasing the last Paver!)
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii View Post
    The only danger to be aware of is the explosive nature of the fumes, right?
    That's a pretty big danger. You can get kerosene or diesel fuel relatively cheaply. Maybe twice the price of gasoline. But, you'll be able to work with it with much less worry. Even in a less-ventilated area. You'll be able to do more with it with less risk. Such as filtering it so it can be reused. That, and the fact that it will evaporate less quickly may easily make up for the additional cost.

    I do many things to save money that others laugh at. But, I wouldn't use gasoline. Too volatile. I might save money. Or, I might have a $100k medical bill (after all the skin grafts).

    Another thing: Gasoline fumes are nearly impossible to get rid of. I know welders who refuse to weld a gas tank even after it's been flushed with water. In your case, the fumes will get into the inner bearing surfaces. That's a lot of surface area to potentially catch fire. That might look cool riding down the street. But, a problem if it happened with the bike parked in the garage late at night.

    What I did was buy two half-gallon plastic paint buckets with lids at Ace hardware. Labeled clean and dirty. The dirty bucket does the heavy lifting. The clean bucket is the final rinse. As the dirty gets too dirty (and too full), I pour some out. As the clean bucket isn't as clean as I like, I pour some into the dirty bucket and replenish with fresh kerosene. I use a paper coffee filter to help keep the dirty bucket cleaner longer.

    If I used gasoline I'd be nervous about all that handling.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,070
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
    +1... ish. I use kerosene, which is available. I pour some into a plastic jug, drop the chain in, and swish. Hang the chain to air-dry then re-lube. The "used" kerosene is filtered (coffee filters work OK) and saved so you only lose a little bit with each cleaning. A gallon can of kerosene lasts 5 or 6 years, IME.
    I actually do exactly the same thing.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,070
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az2008 View Post
    That's a pretty big danger. You can get kerosene or diesel fuel relatively cheaply. Maybe twice the price of gasoline. But, you'll be able to work with it with much less worry. Even in a less-ventilated area. You'll be able to do more with it with less risk. Such as filtering it so it can be reused. That, and the fact that it will evaporate less quickly may easily make up for the additional cost.

    I do many things to save money that others laugh at. But, I wouldn't use gasoline. Too volatile. I might save money. Or, I might have a $100k medical bill (after all the skin grafts).

    Another thing: Gasoline fumes are nearly impossible to get rid of. I know welders who refuse to weld a gas tank even after it's been flushed with water. In your case, the fumes will get into the inner bearing surfaces. That's a lot of surface area to potentially catch fire. That might look cool riding down the street. But, a problem if it happened with the bike parked in the garage late at night.

    What I did was buy two half-gallon plastic paint buckets with lids at Ace hardware. Labeled clean and dirty. The dirty bucket does the heavy lifting. The clean bucket is the final rinse. As the dirty gets too dirty (and too full), I pour some out. As the clean bucket isn't as clean as I like, I pour some into the dirty bucket and replenish with fresh kerosene. I use a paper coffee filter to help keep the dirty bucket cleaner longer.

    If I used gasoline I'd be nervous about all that handling.
    True. One of my neighbors (yes, he's an idiot) was working on his car in the garage with a halogen lamp and burnt half his house down due to the gas fumes catching fire.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,013
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Simple Green and water in a 1 to 1 mix.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    20,987
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With the understanding that you're working outdoors only, and exercising reasonable precautions, and have a place to properly store gasoline, then it'll be no more dangerous than hundreds of things you do every day, including riding a bike.

    Gasoline is a stronger faster working solvent and dries 100% dry, diesel fuel (or #2 heating oil) works a bit slower, and won't evaporate completely, so gasoline is a better choice as pure solvent, and will allow you to almost immediately apply your preferred chain lube without contamination.

    Gasoline itself isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be, but it does have a low flash point, and accumulated vapors are explosive, so it should be both used and stored outdoors, or if stored in a garage needs to be in a cool place in a proper can.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  15. #15
    Holy Spokes it's Batsman! Glennfordx4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    My Bikes
    Too many Bicycles to list
    Posts
    1,505
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    True. One of my neighbors (yes, he's an idiot) was working on his car in the garage with a halogen lamp and burnt half his house down due to the gas fumes catching fire.
    I knew a guy that was burned to death doing almost the same thing, he was in his garage working underneath his car doing something with the fuel tank and gas spilled out onto a hot work lamp it went up and he was trapped, he had fuel on his clothes.


    I use gas myself in a open glass jar to clean bearings,races and chains and then rinse with carb cleaner and then blow off with air, but I have been doing it for years ( small engine mechanic for 30+ years) and as long as there is no open flame I don't worry about it. I have had my fair share of gasoline fires through the years due to leaks,backfires and electrical shorts and have always been able to extinguish it fast. The problem with people when they have a vapor fire that I have seen is they drop what they are doing and run away screaming FIRE! instead of keeping their cool and doing something about ( I am talking a small flash fire).
    Glenn


    So Many Bikes Too Little Space

    RECYCLING = FIXING A OLD BICYCLE

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii View Post
    no way gonna pay the price for mineral spirits.
    I'm pretty sure the odor-less gallon jug of mineral spirits I bought at Lowes cost all of ~$6. At ~$3 for a gallon of gas and all the related hassles of working with it, the mineral spirits are a pretty good deal.

    With that said, if you want the ultimate chain cleaner, use some carb cleaner. It's as close to an instant chain cleaning as you can get. It is quite expensive though and more flammable than gasoline.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennfordx4 View Post
    I knew a guy that was burned to death doing almost the same thing, he was in his garage working underneath his car doing something with the fuel tank and gas spilled out onto a hot work lamp it went up and he was trapped, he had fuel on his clothes.
    As someone who often works on cars and has done a lot of fuel-related work, that is such an awful thought. I stick to flash lights and fluorescent bulb lights when dealing with gasoline.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gasoline is fast and cheap, but one must exercise extreme caution. Work only in well-ventilated area. Stay at least 50 ft away from open flame, spark, or hot object. Avoid the use of a large bucket. A small glass jar with a metal cap is preferred.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY state
    My Bikes
    See Signature...
    Posts
    1,200
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For how long a gallon of mineral spirits will last, the price is justified.

    How many over-priced carbon goodies have you added to your bike? Expensive cycling clothing? Pricy beer after a ride? lol Just saying here...

    I clean my chain in mineral spirits now, because then when it dries I dont need to worry because mineral spirits will keep it safe for a few days, unlike water based cleaners. It is cheap and you can reuse it. I think even at the local hardware, where things are more than walmart or lowes, a gallon will still be less than $10. Cheaper than one 16oz bottle of Pedro's Orange Peel degreaser...
    2012 Diamondback Podium 2 - Ready for spring! :D
    1995 Specialized Rockhopper Rigid - SS converted!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a can of brake clean for cars, works great and evaporates

  21. #21
    Asi
    Asi is offline
    Engineer Asi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania, Europe
    My Bikes
    1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use what I have.. like I still have a full tank stored in cans of gasoline mixed with diesel (never borrow the car to a women) so that is what I use.

    At a barbecue on the mountain I use diesel to light the wood/coal (because that's what my car is running and can easily be drowned out the tank by using the purging valve in the engine compartment).
    Diesel is cheaper then gasoline (here) but not by much (1.5$ the liter of gasoline, and 1.2$ liter of diesel)

    Just as a solvent, gasoline works best. (and a bit of scrubbing the chain with a plastic brush or even wire brush helps a lot)

  22. #22
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,329
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been working from the same 1gal can of mineral spirits I bought for $7.00 over 18 months ago. I think the price is well justified.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  23. #23
    Senior Member vettefrc2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Somewhere North of Detroit and moving fast!
    My Bikes
    1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gasoline - outside - small container.

  24. #24
    Holy Spokes it's Batsman! Glennfordx4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    My Bikes
    Too many Bicycles to list
    Posts
    1,505
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
    As someone who often works on cars and has done a lot of fuel-related work, that is such an awful thought. I stick to flash lights and fluorescent bulb lights when dealing with gasoline.
    Yeah me to, I won't even use a drop light when working on fuel systems under the hood of a car. I prefer day light and to be outside when messing with that anyway


    So Many Bikes Too Little Space

    RECYCLING = FIXING A OLD BICYCLE

  25. #25
    mosquito rancher adamrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin TX USA
    My Bikes
    Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead w/ Chorus (road); Swobo Del Norte (street), Catrike Speed (recumbent trike)
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ISTR someone on this board, a long time ago, discovering that an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner was the ultimate chain cleaner. No volatile liquids required. Admittedly more expensive. Haven't tried it myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •