I love tubeless. I can't find much in the way of tubeless anything for my style of street and dirt jump riding in local shops. This prompted me to do my own.
This is what I have done. It takes quite a bit of work, but overall it's not that bad because you only have to do the real work once.
First, I had to clean everything that needs to be sealed. That means the entire tire, inside and out, the rim, and my workspace needed cleaned. Okay, I'm not sealing my workspace, but it helps keep everything clean. Clean works better when sealing things up.
So I proceeded to remove the tire from the rim, and clean everything with borax. Borax is just what I had lots of, so I used it. Dunno if other things will work better or not, but it seemed to work quite well.
I inflated the tube just enough to give it some shape and placed it on the rim with the stem stuck through the hole in the rim like a normal tube. Then I lined it up as well as I could. I cut the tube along the outside with scissors and spread it out over the sides of the rim like this: Click on pic for bigger view...Then I cut off all the extra like this: For some reason it is easiest to cut along the side of the rim that is furthest away from you.
This way is more difficult
My rims have a big lip that catches the tire bead so I just cut enough off so that the tube would lay flat and below the lip.
Then went out to get the sealant. Looks like this stuff kinda actually glows in the dark.
I installed the tire on the rim, then squeezed a bead of sealant onto the rim.
This seals the bead against the rim. Normally, I would use a 1 inch paint brush and paint the sealant in the inside of the tire to make sure there are no holes, but I had already sealed this tire previously.
I then removed the valve core from the stem and inflated the tire. I like to do it with the valve missing because I can cause the tire to inflate and deflate quickly with my air uncle's air compressor. Adapters are different and some require something to push against in order to release air into the tire. I like to fill it with air then release it a few times to really get the bead to seat in the rim and sealant. It just works better that way.
Next I filled the tire with the right amount of sealant per instructions on the bottle and then inflated the tire and wiped of the extra off the outside.
Notice that I left a little in place just because it helps glue everything together. click on the pic if you can't tell
I immediately put the wheel on the bike and rode it to the store for some food.
Important note!!! Water will soften the sealant if it is not set, so no puddles for a while until this stuff dries, and no river fording with this set up.
I hope you liked my thread as much as I do.
Last edited by HellionOverlord; 06-25-10 at 03:04 PM.
1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400
I've seen a thread on a forum of someone who had installed a mechanical valve on the rim, and put a lot of plastic caps (the end caps of BIC ballpoint pens) over the spoke holes (he managed to find some caps that were a tight fit into the spoke holes)
At 1$ a box of cheap ballpoint pens (that are still usable afterward ) it's cheaper then a tube (but with the price of the mechanical valve it may be even)