NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS!
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
Bikes: Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need to adjust the upper limit screw. I'm guessing on the vintage, but I believe it's the lower of the two.
Here's what to do.
1) undo the rear shifter cable.
2) turn your barrel adjuster all the way IN then out 1 full turn.
3) Put the bike in a rack or hang it so you can pedal with one hand and make adjustments with the other.
4) while pedaling, turn the lower screw OUT in 1/2 turn increments.
5) stop unscrewing when the chain drops to the smallest cog.
6) make sure the shifter is in the lowest gear
7) reattach shifter cable.
8) while pedaling, shift up two shifts (if index shifting)
9) then turn the barrel adjuster out (counter clock wise) until the chain starts to "climb" (starts wanting to go into 3rd gear).
10) turn the barrel adjuster IN 1/2 turn.
11) Run through all the gears and make sure all shifts up and down are crisp.
12) if slow on the upshift(toward big inside cog), turn barrel adjuster out 1/4 turn
13) if slow on the downshift turn in 1/4 turn.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger