So I'm in the midst of rebuilding a used raliegh I baught on craigslist.
I've stripped it down completely and went to work on all the mechanical elements with simple green and a toothbrush.
I'm making a list of items to be replaced while I wait for the frame to get back from the powder-coater.
1. Brake/gearshift lines - The old ones are stiff, rusted, and gummy with crud.
2. Brake pads - The old ones work but this just seems like a good idea.
3. Chain - I dont know when it was replaced. If its loose can I simply take a link out?
4. Headset - old style bearings, I cleaned them and they look ok but new ones are cheap so why not.
5. Bottom bracket - old bearings are rusted, pitted, and outdated.
6. I would like to stick with my current cassette and crank. What are some indicators of critical wear on these items?
7. Rear de-railer cogs??
This is my first bike and I want to do it right! Any additional service items or input on a component I mentioned will be SUPER helpful and very much appreciated =)