Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Layton, UT
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Presta Valve Adaptor and Air Compressor problem

    I have read all the threads on the Presta and air compressors. I'm going to buy the following:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...tem_id=SI-2220

    or

    http://www.amazon.com/Prestacycle-Pr...395278&sr=1-57

    Someone in the family broke my floor pump. No one is fessing up. Everyone know how that goes. I have ordered a new pump, but I would like to get a backup for when the floor pump is not working. I'm also going to see if I can repair the pump to have as a backup.

    But, I still have a question for all the experts out there. I have one of the schrader / presta adaptors. I have put the adaptors on as snug as I can and the Orinig is sealed, and I can't get the air to start out of the schrader chuck.

    It looks like the pin in the middle of the scrader chuck is not getting depressed so that the air isn't released, and when I look at the presta pin. It is so far in the tool that it does not even come close to touching the schrader valve (This is probably not the issue). I have three different adaptors, and not one of them work with my shcrader chuck. It works fine for all the schrader tubes though.

    So, does anyone know of a chuck you can use that will allow the air to open up to put air in the presta valve with the adaptor. Some gas stations work for this, but I don't want to pay $ for 2 minutes of air to repair my tires. i have about 5 and it is a big pain.

  2. #2
    Bikaholic blamp28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I have a compressor at home and have never used it for bike tires in 20 years of repairing bikes for my family of 9. I'm not against it it just seems like too much trouble to fire it up to top off or fill the occaisional tire. I fill up my tires before every ride so that is 5 or 6 times per week and it would take almost as much time to fire up the compressor, wait for it to reach pressure and put on the adapter (my bikes all use presta) than to just hook up the floor pump and pump up the tire.

  3. #3
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prescribe a proper hand pump such as these : http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-S...Pump-23388.htm

    It's a Presta Pump head, NB: there is a plain band on all presta stems its between the coarse thread for the cap and the fine thread for the ring-nut, that is where the pimp head gasket seals .

    then Get another pump for the Schrader stuff for Utility, Schrader,
    the rest of the family's use..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 08-03-10 at 01:34 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blamp28 View Post
    For what it's worth, I have a compressor at home and have never used it for bike tires in 20 years of repairing bikes for my family of 9. I'm not against it it just seems like too much trouble to fire it up to top off or fill the occaisional tire. I fill up my tires before every ride so that is 5 or 6 times per week and it would take almost as much time to fire up the compressor, wait for it to reach pressure and put on the adapter (my bikes all use presta) than to just hook up the floor pump and pump up the tire.
    The problem is the air tank.
    The tank is there only for the purpose of smoothing the pressure spikes for air tools.
    It is pointless for inflating tires.

    Here is a tankless compressor that works like a charm: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-A.../dp/B000IE0YIQ
    Set the pressure; Turn it on; It shuts off when it reaches the pressure setting.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    20,993
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Schrader chucks require that the tire's valve depress a pin in the chuck to get the air flowing. On Schrader valves that's no problem since the pin is close to flush with the top of the valve, and when ypou press on the chuck, both valves open.

    With Presta valves and an O-ring adapter you need to duplicate a similar fit. Most adapters are a bit too long, so the valve stem doesn't reach, or with a fully deflated tube doesn't offer enough resistance. File the adapter close to flush with the valve stem, and open the nut only half way so the valve stem doesn't drop down so far and you'll be fine.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Layton, UT
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought of that. That is a cool idea.

    I will file it off tonight. Thanks for the input.

  7. #7
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW if the airpressure is higher than the spring that closes the schrader core + the air in the tire is higher than the pump provides the valve will open , ,But Presta is not spring loaded so loosening the lock nut on the stem and tapping it to break the stickyness on the seat will get you pumpimng ,

    The one You show via Amazon, is kind of like the Silca accessory Head,
    the other one is un needed if you have a Schrader Pump. thumb lock Schrader pump head is better than one that screws on to the stem.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 08-03-10 at 01:46 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Layton, UT
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    FWIW if the airpressure is higher than the spring that closes the schrader core + the air in the tire is higher than the pump provides the valve will open , ,But Presta is not spring loaded so loosening the lock nut on the stem and tapping it to break the stickyness on the seat will get you pumpimng ,

    The one You show via Amazon, is kind of like the Silca accessory Head,
    the other one is un needed if you have a Schrader Pump. thumb lock Schrader pump head is better than one that screws on to the stem.
    So, the schrader is brand new. So, tapping it may make the pressure release. I have also set the compressor hose to 120 psi, should i lower it to about 30 or 40 and then raise it up once I can get the spring to release?
    Last edited by gholt; 08-03-10 at 02:27 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,119
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post
    So, the schrader is brand. So, tapping it may make the pressure release. I have also set the compressor hose to 120 psi, should i lower it to about 30 or 40 and then raise it up once I can get the spring to release?
    You don't need to tap a schrader valve, that's the kind used on cars and some bicycles. Presta valves often stick closed and need to be "burped" before inflation. Check the pressure values on the side of the tires. If the load on the bike is not too heavy you can ride at about 10% below maximum recommended pressure. For heavier loads go to near maximum.

  10. #10
    Pro Paper Plane Pilot wunderkind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The compressor that I use to air up the bike tires connects to the 12V power outlet from my car. Works great.
    Vancouver Modern Portrait Photography

    Zenfolio.com membership discount code: UBV-HJY-SCY

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is typically not necessary for the valve in a Shrader valve to press open the valve on an air chuck. Indeed, in almost all cases -- every case I have ever tried, you can get the air chuck to operate even when the valve has been removed from the Shrader stem. Watch someone install auto or truck tires and you will believe me. What presses against the valve in the air chuck and opens it is the barrel of the Shrader valve stem. The Shrader valve stem is a standard inside and outside diameter and air chucks are made so that the barrel will open the valve on the air chuck. The problem with some air chucks and with some Shrader adapters (and some valve stem extenders for truck wheels and the like) is that if the inside diameter of the adapter is slightly larger than a standard Shrader stem, it will not open the valve in some air chucks. In my experience, the angled dual head Milton brand air chucks are the most likely to work. Here's a pick of the one I mean:milt690..jpg

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    El Segundo, Ca.
    My Bikes
    '93 Performance R203, '83 Bianchi 980
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i put one of these on my B&D compressor
    http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=428861

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Layton, UT
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desconhecido View Post
    It is typically not necessary for the valve in a Shrader valve to press open the valve on an air chuck. Indeed, in almost all cases -- every case I have ever tried, you can get the air chuck to operate even when the valve has been removed from the Shrader stem. Watch someone install auto or truck tires and you will believe me. What presses against the valve in the air chuck and opens it is the barrel of the Shrader valve stem. The Shrader valve stem is a standard inside and outside diameter and air chucks are made so that the barrel will open the valve on the air chuck. The problem with some air chucks and with some Shrader adapters (and some valve stem extenders for truck wheels and the like) is that if the inside diameter of the adapter is slightly larger than a standard Shrader stem, it will not open the valve in some air chucks. In my experience, the angled dual head Milton brand air chucks are the most likely to work. Here's a pick of the one I mean:milt690..jpg
    The one I bought last night was in the Husky from Home Depot. That could explain why I there was such a big gap in ghe schrader chuck and the adaptor.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,277
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Schrader chucks require that the tire's valve depress a pin in the chuck to get the air flowing. On Schrader valves that's no problem since the pin is close to flush with the top of the valve, and when ypou press on the chuck, both valves open.

    With Presta valves and an O-ring adapter you need to duplicate a similar fit. Most adapters are a bit too long, so the valve stem doesn't reach, or with a fully deflated tube doesn't offer enough resistance. File the adapter close to flush with the valve stem, and open the nut only half way so the valve stem doesn't drop down so far and you'll be fine.
    Wrong. That's not how they work at all. The post above is correct.

    Burp the Presta valve.
    Last edited by Grand Bois; 08-03-10 at 04:19 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Layton, UT
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you burp them if the tubes are flat?

  16. #16
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a new bike that has properly inflated tires.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Layton, UT
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    Buy a new bike that has properly inflated tires.
    LOL

    I think at 2AM this morning, I would have been at that point.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,277
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post
    How do you burp them if the tubes are flat?
    It doesn't matter. The valves stick. Unscrew it and press down to unstick it.

    I always use a compressor, but I use this. An angled chuck would have been better, but it works.


  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    20,993
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Bois View Post
    Wrong. That's not how they work at all. The post above is correct.

    Burp the Presta valve.
    If it were the, OP wouldn't have had a reason to post in the first place.

    On all SV chucks, you depress the pin to start the flow, plain and simple. Most chuck pins are conical and a bit wider so they'll be pressed open by the wall of the (Schrader) valve, or adapter, and not depend on the height of the pin as in the referenced post, but that doesn't help the OP because many PV adapters are bored open and have IDs too large to engage the chuck's pin and depress it.

    If the OP uses either a shorter, or thicker walled adapter all will be OK. If the heights are matched he also won't need to burp the valve to top off a full tire because the chuck's pin will exert enough force, but with a tall thick walled adapter he might need to.
    Last edited by FBinNY; 08-03-10 at 05:05 PM.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  20. #20
    SE Wis dedhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400
    Posts
    2,206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need a valve core in a Schraeder valve to operate the chuck. I've seated lots of auto tire beads without having the core in reducing the volume needed.
    Either something is wrong with your new chuck or the adapter.
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Layton, UT
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Bois View Post
    It doesn't matter. The valves stick. Unscrew it and press down to unstick it.

    I always use a compressor, but I use this. An angled chuck would have been better, but it works.

    Is that a presta attachment, if so, where did you get it. Also, the verdict is in. I filed down the adaptor and it works like a charm. I guess I got a little bit too happy with the grinder and I filed the 1st one down too far. But it works enough to get 120 psi in the tire.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Layton, UT
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pic of the two that I ground down. the one on the left I got too short. I got a little happy with the grinder, but it still works. The one on the right, I think is the right height for my pump and I think for most pumps around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    19,476
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    +10 Burp the valve first. I air up tires all the time using my 6HP shop compressor. And I only use presta valves. Works fine. The only thing you have to watch is that the bead seats properly, as the tire fills fast.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,277
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post
    Is that a presta attachment, if so, where did you get it. Also, the verdict is in. I filed down the adaptor and it works like a charm. I guess I got a little bit too happy with the grinder and I filed the 1st one down too far. But it works enough to get 120 psi in the tire.
    A cheap tire inflator, a Silca barbed fitting and a hose clamp.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •