Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a similar issue on my dad's bike, which I was fixing up for him. It had been sitting for a long time.
I tried ammonia, I tried a hack saw blade, I tried everything. What finally worked for me was a Sawzall with a long metal cutting blade. I stuck it in the tube and cut a few slits until I could pound a screwdriver between the tube and the seatpost in several places, loosening the bond so I could pull it out. Of course, I didn't do a perfect job, so I left some grooves cut into the inside of the seat tube. I'm hoping I didn't damage the structural integrity too much, because my son has inherited that bike and he likes riding it. So far so good.
I sanded out the inside of the seat tube as best I could, and put lots of grease on the new seatpost before installing. I also went around to all my other bikes and checked to see if any of the seatposts were sticking, and applied some new grease to a couple.