Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Member andrewluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9 w/ SRAM Red
    Posts
    444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    SRAM/Shimano compatibility

    Ok, so I wrecked my 6700 equipped CAAD9 last Sunday and picked up a replacement yesterday for a killer deal at my LBS. I had enjoyed 6700 but once I tried Force, I really don't think I want to go back. I just want to verify that this setup would work well enough until I can get the cash to get the rest of the Force stuff. These Tiagra levers are pissing me off and I forgot how tiny they are.

    I googled this and found some mixed stuff (ranting about cable pull but I don't see how that affects the front). I'm 99% sure I'm ok but just wanted to make sure.

    Force shifters
    Force FD
    Ultegra 6700 cassette and chain
    Ultegra 6650 crank (bent my 6700 arm and chipped the big ring)
    Ultegra 6600 FD (kicked the 6700 and bent the cage)

    If I can just get a thumbs up from a few of you that have experience with these guys, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to order the Force stuff today if possible.

  2. #2
    Senior Member andrewluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9 w/ SRAM Red
    Posts
    444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nevermind. found this guy

    http://www.wheelworks.co.nz/drivetrain.php

  3. #3
    Low car diet JiveTurkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR, USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
    Posts
    2,372
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewluke View Post
    Force shifters
    Force FD
    Ultegra 6700 cassette and chain
    Ultegra 6650 crank (bent my 6700 arm and chipped the big ring)
    Ultegra 6600 FD (kicked the 6700 and bent the cage)
    I'm guessing you meant Force RD? And the 6600 is the FD? If so:

    I know fore sure you need to match the rear derailleur and shifter brand.

    Someone else can chime in for the front. I know on the MTB side, it's common to find SRAM shifters and Shimano FD, so those are compatible. Not sure if the same holds true for the road lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by slopvehicle View Post
    Not wearing a helmet makes me more aware of my surroundings. I find myself anticipating the hardness of concrete 50 or 100 feet in front of me, it's almost a zen-like connection between my face and the pavement.

  4. #4
    Low car diet JiveTurkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR, USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
    Posts
    2,372
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewluke View Post
    OK looks like the mix/match of brands for front shifter/derailleur also works on the road side.
    Last edited by JiveTurkey; 08-06-10 at 01:30 PM. Reason: misread the chart
    Quote Originally Posted by slopvehicle View Post
    Not wearing a helmet makes me more aware of my surroundings. I find myself anticipating the hardness of concrete 50 or 100 feet in front of me, it's almost a zen-like connection between my face and the pavement.

  5. #5
    Senior Member andrewluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9 w/ SRAM Red
    Posts
    444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    I'm guessing you meant Force RD? And the 6600 is the FD? If so:

    I know fore sure you need to match the rear derailleur and shifter brand.

    Someone else can chime in for the front. I know on the MTB side, it's common to find SRAM shifters and Shimano FD, so those are compatible. Not sure if the same holds true for the road lines.
    yeah... typo on that one... sorry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •