Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: Merckx titanium with Chorus, Columbus Cyclops Campy Victory, 531 Harry Quinn 1st gen DA, SLX Fuso 8-spd DA, Airfriday. Colnago Gilco with Campy mix, Claude Pottie 753 w. 8S Record, Claude Pottie Columbus with 105, Basso with DA 7402, Masi Team 3v wit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Troublesome 7-speed STI adjustment (one click off top and bottom)
I know there are hundreds of threads out there on adjusting STI rear derailleurs, but I haven't found exactly my (probably trivial) "problem" and so it might be easier to just ask again.
Please don't laugh at my 7-speed 105 setup. It's on my 12 year old Air Friday (which also has a 3-speed internal Sachs rear hub). but I took it out of it's case for it's annual check up and before I pack it away for another year, I would like to get it shifting correctly.
I know the basics of STI RD adjusting: drop to smallest rear, click up to 2nd smallest rear, barrel adjust til just making noise against the 3rd, roll it back half a turn.
But here's my result (and please excuse my nontechnical terminology).
* Drop it down into the smallest rear.
* One Click up to the 2nd-smallest.
* Barrel adjust to noise point, then back.
* It then shifts smoothly 3,4,5,6... up to the biggest rear (#7).
* BUT then it needs 2 clicks to drop down to the 2nd-largest rear (#6).
* then it clicks smoothly down to the 2nd smallest (#2) but won't drop back into the smallest rear (#1).
So, I seem to be one index point off at both the top and bottom, even though I think I started the adjusting process off correctly.
any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?