Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Billings, Montana
Bikes: Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ready to change out chainring, but...
Based on advice given here, I decided to change a 30t chainring for a 24t to get some lower gears. I just received the chainring, but before I dive into removing the crank and chainring, I have a few questions concerning this Octalink bottom bracket and crank.
1. Do I need any special tools? I can see an allen bolt which looks like 10mm. i can get a wrench at the local hardware store. Anything I should be aware of?
2. I have an old crank removal tool from twenty years ago. will that work or will I have to buy something new? If the latter, what?
3. After the crank is off, I will unbolt the inner chainring and replace with 24t. anything I should be aware of?
4. Will I have to move/adjust the front derailleur or replace it?
5. Anything else I should know about.
Thanks for the help.