ready to change out chainring, but...
Based on advice given here, I decided to change a 30t chainring for a 24t to get some lower gears. I just received the chainring, but before I dive into removing the crank and chainring, I have a few questions concerning this Octalink bottom bracket and crank.
1. Do I need any special tools? I can see an allen bolt which looks like 10mm. i can get a wrench at the local hardware store. Anything I should be aware of?
2. I have an old crank removal tool from twenty years ago. will that work or will I have to buy something new? If the latter, what?
3. After the crank is off, I will unbolt the inner chainring and replace with 24t. anything I should be aware of?
4. Will I have to move/adjust the front derailleur or replace it?
5. Anything else I should know about.
Thanks for the help.
Hardware stores have Metric allen wrenches I have an 8mm allen as my crank arm fixing bolt,
but I cannot see yours.
The Octalink is a bigger tube than the square taper , you need a new crank arm extractor tool.
IF there are 2 little pin spanner holes in a ring around the bolt head
you may have a self extracting bolt . the ring screws into the place where the extractor may
be threaded into , It should come out with out another tool..
[carefull I've had a self extractor strip the crankarm and not budge ]
If there is a black plastic ring around the bolt Its not self extracting..
You should not have to remove the FD.
if you are not changing the big ring..
you will need a 5mm allen to take off the third ring mounting bolts.
Last edited by fietsbob; 09-28-10 at 12:28 PM.
John Wayne Toilet Paper