Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shinamo 7 speed cassette on 8/9 speed deore hub?

    I am currently trying to convert my wifes old road bike to 650b wheels and had a quick question. I believe it has the clearance to do this. The bike is a Nishiki Modulus with Shimano Exage EX gears, I believe it's a 1991. It has a 7 speed cassette and Index shifters.

    Budget is an issue, so rather than get new wheels built on the existing hubs, I though I might pick up some an inexpensive Shimano Deore 8/9 rear wheel on ebay, and was wondering if the current 7 speed cassette I have would fit on this? Do I just need to add a spacers or would there be a compatibility issue?

    Spacing should not be an issue as the bike is 126mm and the wheel is 130mm.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4.4-4.5mm spacer on the back of the cassette. You can jimmy something or buy the prefab'ed spacer for that. Works just fine.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent thanks!

  4. #4
    New Orleans
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,553
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case you get a 8-9 speed wheel that comes with a cassette
    You can literally use that cassette with your 7 speed shifters.

    Yes, it shouldn't work since the cogs are spaced differently, but it works reasonable well until you actually install your 7 speed cassette.

    I think it works because of that side to side play that is built into most derailleurs.I forget the term for this intentional slop, but it is important.

    Yes, there will be some gears that will be too noisy, and will slip/change/slip change- but it will be much less annoying that you would think.

    I currently use a 8 speed XTR cassette-with one cog removed-with my 7 speed indexed twist shifters-shimano- on a Trek 730-roughly 1994. I do it because I wanted to use the 34 t cog of the old XTR, not the 30 t the 7 speed cassette came with.The 700c wheel is for 7 speeds-can't take 8 or 9 cassettes.

    I ride intervals up and down the river levee, so I need low gearing.
    Shouldn't work, but it does-strictly a cheapout-I would rather have a 13/34 7 speed cassette, but $$-$30- is short.
    Charlie

  5. #5
    Constant tinkerer FastJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,897
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Just in case you get a 8-9 speed wheel that comes with a cassette
    You can literally use that cassette with your 7 speed shifters.

    Yes, it shouldn't work since the cogs are spaced differently, but it works reasonable well until you actually install your 7 speed cassette.
    7-speed and 8-speed hyperglide are spaced the same. You can run an 8-speed cassette with 7-speed shifters (or vice versa) no problem. 9-speed and 10-speed are different though.

    To answer the OP's question, yes you can easily put a 7-speed cassette on an 8/9-speed wheel. You'll probably have to add a spacer.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the wheel comes with a spacer, but good to know none the less. Thanks again.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    27,195
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
    7-speed and 8-speed hyperglide are spaced the same. You can run an 8-speed cassette with 7-speed shifters (or vice versa) no problem. 9-speed and 10-speed are different though.
    They are close but not exactly the same. Center-to-center spacing for Shimano 7-speed cassettes is 5.0 mm and for 8-speed cassettes it's 4.8 mm. Over 7 cogs the mis-match is 1.4 mm which can cause rough shifting and noisy running at one end or the other.

    You can usuallu make it work adequately by getting the rear derailleur centered exactly over the 4th or 5th cog on an 8-speed cassette so the misalignment is minimized at both extremes.

  8. #8
    New Orleans
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,553
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Hillrider said- not exactly the same spacing, but if you tinker with it a bit, it will work ok.I removed one cog so it-the 8 speed-became a 7 speed and would fit on the hub.
    Strictly a cheapout, but it works ok.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,918
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    4.4-4.5mm spacer on the back of the cassette. You can jimmy something or buy the prefab'ed spacer for that. Works just fine.
    One minor thing. Take a look at the back side of your cassette. Most of them are held together with some skinny little bolts or rivets. Either way the protruding heads have to come off. I throw the bolts away and install the cassette one piece at a time. I grind the rivet heads off with a file or a bench grinder and the cassette stays in one piece.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    27,195
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    One minor thing. Take a look at the back side of your cassette. Most of them are held together with some skinny little bolts or rivets. Either way the protruding heads have to come off. I throw the bolts away and install the cassette one piece at a time. I grind the rivet heads off with a file or a bench grinder and the cassette stays in one piece.
    The other way around the bolt/rivet heads is to install the spacer after the smallest cog but under the lockring. That worked well for me with a 12 or 13T smallest cog. I don't know if the spacer will clear an 11T cog.

  11. #11
    Constant tinkerer FastJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,897
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    They are close but not exactly the same. Center-to-center spacing for Shimano 7-speed cassettes is 5.0 mm and for 8-speed cassettes it's 4.8 mm. Over 7 cogs the mis-match is 1.4 mm which can cause rough shifting and noisy running at one end or the other.
    Hmm I didn't know that. I have a 7-speed Shimano freewheel on a bike that came with an 8-speed Freehub (different wheelset.) I'm running the original 8-speed shifters and it indexes perfectly. Not a problem in practice, perhaps. Not for me anyway.

    Edit: I went the other way too! My road bike was equipped with 7-speed Uniglide, now it's 8-speed Hyperglide. I'm still using the original 7-speed downtube shifters to go through all 8 speeds. The largest sprocket is a friction shift past the last indexing point, but the derailer set screw makes this a non-issue.

  12. #12
    New Orleans
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,553
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FastJake
    I have an 8 speed twist shifter and planned to install it with my 8 speed cassette turned into a 7 speed. I didn't bother because the 7 speed shifter works just fine.

    My calculations say 4.8X7= 33.6 divide by 8= 4.2 so the same thing won't work with a 9 speed.
    Charlie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •