Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which size axle bolt?

    Hi,

    I am changing my QR axle to a bolted axle. My digital calipers say the current size of the bolt is 8.79mm. Silly question but do I require a 9mm axle bolt?

    Thanks

    Daven

  2. #2
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take the new axle with me to the LBS and say, "I need two nuts to fit here."
    Or if you are talking about the current axle being 8.79 mm, I would take it to the LBS and say, "I'm switching to a bolted axle yada yada yada. I want a solid axle this size..."

    Remember to get the solid axle 1 1/2 to 2 inches longer than the QR axle to provide space for the nuts.
    And pick up the nuts when you get the axle.
    I would get new bearing races, washers and lock nuts at the same time.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    I would take it to the LBS and say, "I want a solid axle this size..."
    Yup. The big issue isn't diameter, it's thread pitch.

  4. #4
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,165
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you may need new cones too.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  5. #5
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    you may need new cones too.
    Then you run into the issue of finding cones that match a hubshell that was designed for a QR axle.

  6. #6
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,165
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    exactly!! I did the opposite for a customer one time with Campi track hubs. tkae out solid and replace with QR both axles were Campi but we needed new cones for hollow axle
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *sigh* why is everything so non-standard and difficult! Might as well just buy a new hub!

    Thanks for the replies people

  8. #8
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daven1986 View Post
    *sigh* why is everything so non-standard and difficult! Might as well just buy a new hub!

    Thanks for the replies people
    Don't worry, it's not that difficult. Here's a chart of some common thread-pitches for various hubs:


    What you have is a 9mm axle, it comes in one of two flavours: 9 x 1mm or 9mm x 26tpi for Campy. Unless you have a Campy hub, I would assume it's 9x1mm. To verify, bring in a cone from your existing hub and ask the shoppe for a solid-axle and nuts that fits that cone.

    Problem with a lot of Campy solid-to-QR or QR-to-solid conversions is that a lot of shoppes don't stock axles in the 26tpi Campy threading. So rather than ordering the proper parts, they just throw on whatever they have on-hand, meaning new cones and locknuts as well. An unnecessary complication and expense for the customer.

    Your best bet is to contact a shoppe specializing in track bikes. They have a wide variety of solid-axles in stock.
    Last edited by DannoXYZ; 10-27-10 at 03:23 PM.

  9. #9
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,607
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    exactly!! I did the opposite for a customer one time with Campi track hubs. tkae out solid and replace with QR both axles were Campi but we needed new cones for hollow axle
    Were you perhaps mixing models (i.e. Record and Tipo, or Record and C-Record)? Because the Campy catalogs give the same part number for Road and Track "Record" cones, and a different number for Road and Track "Tipo" cones. But Tipo front cones are designed for smaller balls than the Record cones, so they aren't interchangeable with Record.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
    Don't worry, it's not that difficult. Here's a chart of some common thread-pitches for various hubs:

    What you have is a 9mm axle, it comes in one of two flavours: 9 x 1mm or 9mm x 26tpi for Campy. Unless you have a Campy hub, I would assume it's 9x1mm. To verify, bring in a cone from your existing hub and ask the shoppe for a solid-axle and nuts that fits that cone.

    Problem with a lot of Campy solid-to-QR or QR-to-solid conversions is that a lot of shoppes don't stock axles in the 26tpi Campy threading. So rather than ordering the proper parts, they just throw on whatever they have on-hand, meaning new cones and locknuts as well. An unnecessary complication and expense for the customer.

    Your best bet is to contact a shoppe specializing in track bikes. They have a wide variety of solid-axles in stock.
    awesome, thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •