Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    τΏτ jshelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wanamassa, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New V-Brakes - Is vertical alignment a rule of thumb or a functional issue?

    I just replaced my v-brakes and played with the spacers as much as I could (moved the large one to the outside etc.. etc..) and this is the best I could do with the vertical alignment.

    Every tutorial I have watched mentions that they should line up vertically, do I need to get different spacers? Right now the small bowl shaped spacer is on the inside and the larger one is on the outside.



    Last edited by jshelly; 11-14-10 at 06:12 PM. Reason: New Angle

  2. #2
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That picture shows us absolutely nothing.

    What is this thread about?
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  3. #3
    τΏτ jshelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wanamassa, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    That picture shows us absolutely nothing.
    What is this thread about?
    Would you prefer a different angle?

  4. #4
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't see the pads or the rim.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  5. #5
    τΏτ jshelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wanamassa, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    can't see the pads or the rim.
    ok, be right back . . .

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the OP is asking if the top of the Vee's are splayed out too much.

    If so then just my opinion ... whilst it does on paper make a difference to braking forces .... I've never really bothered with getting the brakes arm's to 90 deg from the rim ... and I've never noticed any difference.

  7. #7
    τΏτ jshelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wanamassa, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_man View Post
    I think the OP is asking if the top of the Vee's are splayed out too much.

    If so then just my opinion ... whilst it does on paper make a difference to braking forces .... I've never really bothered with getting the brakes arm's to 90 deg from the rim ... and I've never noticed any difference.
    Exactly, well done sir . . .

  8. #8
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a bad combination of parts, but it doesn't matter as long as you get the pads to hit squarely against the rim sidewall and have enough stopping power.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  9. #9
    τΏτ jshelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wanamassa, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    looks like a bad combination of parts, but it doesn't matter as long as you get the pads to hit squarely against the rim sidewall and have enough stopping power.
    How so? I used all the parts that the brakes came with (pads, spacers, tube etc...) or do you mean the brakes in combination with the bike itself?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had another look ... not a cure to the problem but you have your convex washers in the wrong place.

    brake pad - concave washer - convex washer - brake arm - convex - concave - normal washer - nut .

  11. #11
    τΏτ jshelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wanamassa, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_man View Post
    Just had another look ... not a cure to the problem but you have your convex washers in the wrong place.
    brake pad - concave washer - convex washer - brake arm - convex - concave - normal washer - nut .
    I have concave, convex, brake arm, then concave and then convex so I need to switch the outside ones - thank you for picking that up.

  12. #12
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jshelly View Post
    How so? I used all the parts that the brakes came with (pads, spacers, tube etc...) or do you mean the brakes in combination with the bike itself?
    yeah, just a bad combination of fork, brake and rim.

    I usually find that cartridge type V-brake pads are thinner, but it might not make a difference in your case.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  13. #13
    τΏτ jshelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wanamassa, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    yeah, just a bad combination of fork, brake and rim.

    I usually find that cartridge type V-brake pads are thinner, but it might not make a difference in your case.
    Your unfortunately right. Every combination of spacer had no better result with vertical alignment. I switched back to my original v-breaks which fit perfect, and just swapped out the pads for new ones.

    Thanks for saving me from going nuts. Well at least completely nuts.

  14. #14
    Senior Member BCRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The 'Wack, BC, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Posts
    5,429
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your rim is likely a bit wider than what the frame was designed to use. I've seen this happen when, for example, the owner switches from a narrow "race" rim to something like Sun Ryno Lites which are a few mm's wider. The "cure" that will help but maybe not totally cure the arm angles is Koolstop "Thinline" pads.

    And the angle your arms were at isn't anything to worry about. It would have been fine. It just looks a little geeky.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •