i have chris king iso hubs with xt stuff. the hubs recently got to their "break in point" so i adjusted them from having side to side play to being perfect (id say). i also threw on a new chain as my old one was a lil past the .75 mark on the gauge. but im nice to my stuff and know how to work on it so the cassette and chainrings arent too worn. heres the dilemma: in a majority of the gears when i freewheel/pedal backwards the chain becomes sluggish and there becomes extra slack in the chain and it (in most gears) eventually rides of the cassette, going to a larger gear. it also shifts a bit clunkier in the rear.
heres what ive done to remedy it:
-made sure the der. hanger was straight
-tried to use the old chain to see if it was the new chain meshing wrong- it still did it
-cleaned the cassette and freehub body
- overhauled the jockey wheels
- did a minor overhaul on the king hubs with ringdrive lube etc (but theyre only 4 months old and have been ridden with care over that period)
- tried to put the hub at the same preload it was at before i adjusted the hub (it was a tad loose) when it was not doing this- it did not fix the problem.
- cleaned the factory lube off my new chain in case its viscosity was causing the problem- still nothing.
- gave up after a day of screwing around and went to a mechanic at a good local shop- i think he knew less than me (ive been working in a shop for 3-4 years) as he said the drag in the hub was causing it, yet he says hes never worked on a king hub- they have a bit more drag than other wheels, but that does not limit them from spinning well etc. he had no suggestions besides bring it back for the head mechanic monday (i think i know about as much as him)
DO YOU HAVE ANY REMEDIES???? i think im a good mechanic and i have had to admit defeat. the only thing i have not tried is new c-rings/cassette but i doubt its that- it shifts well (albeit a tad clunky- but i like perfection). Help me please!!! im going to ask everyone at punk bike tomorrow but i doubt well be able to figure out a drunk solution.
thanks in advance, and if i missed an old post please share it with me.