Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano Crank to FSA BB Compatibility

    I acquired an FSA Mega Exo BB-8200 bottom bracket and would like to use it with my existing Shimano FC6600 Crankset. Are they compatible?

    The diameter seems to be OK but I haven't installed it as yet so I'm not sure about the width, whether spacers are required or whether I just install them both and all will be OK?

  2. #2
    17yrold in 64yrold body
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using a Mega Exo with my XT crank, and have not had any problems. If you want to make sure it works, put in the external cups--just snug, and see if the non-drive side arm seats correctly. It should be up against the bearing, but not under any pressure. If you have a gap, check to see which spacers fill it. If it takes two spacers (if I remember right they are 2.5mm), put one on each side. For spacers, remove crank and cups, and install. For no spacers, remove crank and tighten the cups, then reinstall crank.

  3. #3
    .
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Moots Psychlo-x ybb, Soma ES, Trek 950
    Posts
    3,742
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used FSA BB's before with Shimano 105/Ultegra cranks and it worked fine. The one I've had issues with is Truvativ BB and Shimano cranks. No workie.
    Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.

  4. #4
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 8200 is a lower Q-factor BB for the K-Light and others. So to answer the question correctly, no it won't work. It's different than the regular Mega-Exo used with the Gossamer/Vero/etc. If you don't mind the crank banging back and forth or trying to Rube Goldberg shims it'll be wonderful though.

    $35 bux will get you a BB-7900 Shimano and it'll be good.

  5. #5
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badamsjr View Post
    I am using a Mega Exo with my XT crank, and have not had any problems. If you want to make sure it works, put in the external cups--just snug, and see if the non-drive side arm seats correctly. It should be up against the bearing, but not under any pressure. If you have a gap, check to see which spacers fill it. If it takes two spacers (if I remember right they are 2.5mm), put one on each side. For spacers, remove crank and cups, and install. For no spacers, remove crank and tighten the cups, then reinstall crank.
    And ... wrong.

    http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/...-dilemma_86337

    As an addendum, the FSA BB-6000's are now 6000/8000. Can anyone confirm shimano compatibility with the new unit?
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  6. #6
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knobster View Post
    I've used FSA BB's before with Shimano 105/Ultegra cranks and it worked fine. The one I've had issues with is Truvativ BB and Shimano cranks. No workie.
    Maybe you ought to qualify WHICH fsa BB it was since they make half a dozen of them, not all of which are compatible with shimano cranks.

    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post

    $35 bux will get you a BB-7900 Shimano and it'll be good.
    And it'll be light years ahead of the FSA bb as well. There's a reason why people swap out their FSA's for a shimano, whenever possible.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  7. #7
    17yrold in 64yrold body
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    From the cited article:"Definitely the bearing diameter of both the Enduros and the Chris King will work, because you can run a Shimano Hollowtech II crank in an FSA MegaExo bottom bracket and vice versa. The spindle diameter in both cases is 24mm, and both use a 7mm thick bearing. However, your FSA K-Force Light crank has slightly less width from arm to arm. I know because the kit does not yet exist to fit one on a Trek Madone."

    I do not know if you read the OP's post, but he did not mention 'K-Force Light'.

  8. #8
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badamsjr View Post
    I do not know if you read the OP's post, but he did not mention 'K-Force Light'.
    No, but he mentioned the BB-8200 which is the MegaExo BB that's specific to the K-Force light. Therefore he's told us that he's using a BB that's narrower than what it should be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •